372xp x-torq max rpm 9600 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChevyXP

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was looking at the new 372xp's on husky's web site and saw it said that the max rpm is 9600. Is that right because i thought that the old model ran around 13500? I'm just curious about this saw because i recently bought a MS460 that I love for the bigger trees but sadly dont get to cut enoguh big trees up.

I was looking at the new 372xp's on husky's web site and saw it said that the max rpm is 9600. Is that right because i thought that the old model ran around 13500? I'm just curious about this saw because i recently bought a MS460 that I love for the bigger trees but sadly dont get to cut enoguh big trees up.

Not to worry, the x-torques do spin up as high as the old ones.

The spec is supposed to say "maximum power speed" or something to that effect where that's the RPM where the horsepower is maximized.

Again, the husky web department is the biggest piece of #### out there right now so this doesn't surprise me.

Not to worry, the x-torques do spin up as high as the old ones.

The spec is supposed to say "maximum power speed" or something to that effect where that's the RPM where the horsepower is maximized.

Again, the husky web department is the biggest piece of #### out there right now so this doesn't surprise me.

Yep - sometimes they publish more info than anyone else, and other times central info is left out - lots of misprints as well. Also, the US site is worse in that regard than most of the other ones.....

On the flip side, the site has IPLs availiable back to 1972 or so, which s a quite unique service! :biggrin:

I have both an older 372xp and an xtorq 372xp....don't worry about the spec sheet the new one is at least as strong as the old 372, while using half the fuel....IMO maybe a little stronger once you get 10 tanks thru it....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

thanks for the help. im thinking that i might pick up one of them too to go along with my new ms460 :msp_smile:

thanks for the help. im thinking that i might pick up one of them too to go along with my new ms460 :msp_smile:

Not to be "that guy" but I would actually consider a 562 if I were you.

The 372 XT has more balls than a regular 372 and they're going to be much closer in power than you think.

You might as well get something a little more maneuverable and create a little bit of a power gap.

I'd go with the 372.. It's a proven saw, it's capable of pulling a bigger bar and parts are much easier to find.. It's way more reliable than the 562.. Auto tune... I grab the 372 for just about everything.. That's why I have 2 of them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I'd go with the 372.. It's a proven saw, it's capable of pulling a bigger bar and parts are much easier to find.. It's way more reliable than the 562.. Auto tune... I grab the 372 for just about everything.. That's why I have 2 of them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

562 is smaller, 2 lbs lighter and is close in power. Probably will be shown to be just as reliable after some time as passed.

Not everyone needs or wants a 70cc saw.

I ran a 2171, then a 372XP and a 562XP in the same log,all with a 20" bar. My back spoke up and said "Get the 562XP!" I have made it a point since my early 30's to listen to my back... Not enough difference in a 20" maple to justify the weight increase. Frankly, with the demo 562 pretty well broke in this rookie couldn't tell ANY difference. 2171 sure did look sharp though... Russ

Max HP 9600 RPM

Max torque I'd guess around 7000 to 7500 RPM

Max unloaded RPM 13500 or so like usual .

Run the saw around 9600 Rpm in the cut to cut the fastest. Steve

The last part of that isn't really true. Hp and torque isn't cutting anything - the max chain speed you can get in the get is what does the most cutting (+ of course the chain contruction etc), and that often happens at higher rpm than the max power rpm. :msp_biggrin:

Of course the opposite will happen if the saw is too weak for the task, and that is when low end torque comes into play......:msp_rolleyes:

The last part of that isn't really true. Hp and torque isn't cutting anything - the max chain speed you can get in the get is what does the most cutting (+ of course the chain contruction etc), and that often happens at higher rpm than the max power rpm. :msp_biggrin:

Of course the opposite will happen if the saw is too weak for the task, and that is when low end torque comes into play......:msp_rolleyes:

Yer trying to confuse us. Not happening.

HP is work/time delivered to load, which is the chain, cutting. Torque is the twisting effort applied by the crank, as in turning the sprocket to pull the chain through the cut. Cutting the wood.

Chain speed, per se, means nothing. Chain speed X depth of cut X specific cutting energy of the wood is THE story. If, in the cut, the engine is running above peak power rpm, that implies that the depth of cut is less than optimum. Load matching is sub-optimum. :msp_wink:

Plainly and simply, if any engine is running at peak power rpm, it CANNOT perform more work per time. PERIOD. This stuff is Physics 101. Smoke and mirrors do not apply here.

Max HP 9600 RPM

Max torque I'd guess around 7000 to 7500 RPM

Max unloaded RPM 13500 or so like usual .

Run the saw around 9600 Rpm in the cut to cut the fastest. Steve

That is the speed at which the saw has maximum power under load,ie in the wood.
geoff
:cheers:

Yer trying to confuse us. Not happening.

HP is work/time delivered to load, which is the chain, cutting. Torque is the twisting effort applied by the crank, as in turning the sprocket to pull the chain through the cut. Cutting the wood.

Chain speed, per se, means nothing. Chain speed X depth of cut X specific cutting energy of the wood is THE story. If, in the cut, the engine is running above peak power rpm, that implies that the depth of cut is less than optimum. Load matching is sub-optimum. :msp_wink:

Plainly and simply, if any engine is running at peak power rpm, it CANNOT perform more work per time. PERIOD. This stuff is Physics 101. Smoke and mirrors do not apply here.

While I agree with the principle, this is only half the equation by my reckoning. Chain is the other half. Raker height, cutter depth and sharpness will determine the cutting efficiency. For example, a saw with a safety chain cutting at 9600 RPM is not likely utilizing all of the available hp. That same saw/chain spinning at 12,500 RPM in the cut will cut faster, even though the saw makes less hp at 12,500RPM. This is because the saw in the first scenario is not utilizing all the hp available at that RPM.

I like ctyanks thread mentioning DEPT of cut, a saw running at 12000 rpm will be taking a very shallow cut wasting more enery taking a lot of very little cuts, a saw running at peak HP around 9000 to 9500 will cut faster due to the deeper cut every tooth takes. Watch some vids on here where they run the saw lightly loaded, medium loaded and heavy loaded, the medium loaded saw around the peak hp wins EVERY time. Steve

Last edited:
Back