Firewood equipment and budgeting money for it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules083

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I see threads pop up every now and then where people are building/using cheap splitters, using old and undersized wood burners that need constant attention/re-lights, etc, and wanted to share my theory on why I bought good, although expensive, equipment.

Year 0 for me, moved in the farm house mid winter. It was my great-aunt's house, moved in to help care for her during her last year. Heated with oil furnace and a very small amount of wood in basement stove. Very inefficient, and little heat transferred to upstairs. Oil bill- $2700

Year 1, bought Energy King wood furnace for $2800, plus some ductwork for about $100. Total heating bill - $2800. I already had a good chainsaw. At this point I am $100 or so in the negative for total heating costs.

Year 2, bought a used 372XP to handle the heavy work for $300. I'm now $2300 ahead.

Year 3, bought supersplit. Splitter cost was around $3,000 after shipping. After heating for the year, I am now $2000 ahead.

Last month I bought a John Deere Gator, brand new, for around $13000 all said and done. My 'hardest' part of heating has been getting the wood out of the woods, as I have some steep hills and the tractor and trailer weren't the best answer. Too wide, too hard to maneuver, and downright scary if you don't get out before the ground thaws. Also, useless if the ground doesn't freeze to begin with.

At this point I am $11,000 in the red, give or take. In 4 more winters I will be at $11,000 in savings, so I'll be back to the break even point. On year 5 I'll be back to saving money. However, getting a load of wood is stupidly easy and quick. No fighting with a maul, no dealing with a junk wood burner, no getting a tractor stuck, etc. In the time it would take me to hook up the trailer I can be in the woods and getting loaded. In the time it took me to split one or two rounds I can get a gator load done and be on my way. The last load I got my girlfriend did all of the transporting, all I did was cut and wait for her to get back with the gator. I sometimes work a ton of overtime in the winter, and now she can do everything if needed, except for the actual cutting itself.

I could have gotten by without the splitter, and for sure without the gator. However, my time needed to heat has dropped considerably. I used to stack the rounds close to home, and spend an hour or so every morning splitting for that day. Now, everything is ready to go and I'm done for the year in a very short amount of time. The house is kept warmer, because I don't 'budget' wood mentally. Want more fire, throw the wood to it and I'll get more. I'll be back in 10 minutes, rather than an hour. Another bonus I am just now taking advantage of is stacking the wood farther away. Next years wood isn't by the house anymore, it's in a clearing right at the edge of the woods. I can get it easy enough no matter where it's at, might as well let the snakes, bugs, and mice live somewhere else. No more weedwacking around wood piles for me after this winter, or hitting bark and chips with the riding mower from splitting.

Just something to think about for the tightwads, as I'm sure there are a lot of us. I'm tight where I have to be, but I'm also lazy enough to make my life as easy as possible.

I invested in the stuff I needed over the first few years of burning wood like you have. I don't regret one cent of that $ spent.

As I look back over my 30+ years of buying tools and equipment, I can't think of any example of regret after buying the better quality product.... as long as that item gets used regularly it seems the added expense has been worth it. I can think of several times when I bought the cheap version and I've paid more in repairs and replacements than the quality version would have cost in the first place.
Most recent is my Earthquake 27T splitter- only $1200 but let's see what has failed so far: chinacom motor had ignition module problems within 6 months of purchase, yes they sent me a different motor but there was some down time and I had to ship the old one back. Tires would not hold air from the get go.. they sent new ones, one of those blew out within a year. Hydraulic tank cap leaks like a sieve, gas cap not much better. Wedge guides along the beam starting to bend up.. will need some heat to get them back but they will only start to bend again. Battery worked for about a year. Sure I saved a bunch over a $2995 timberwolf, but only 3-4 years into ownership I have to wonder what the repair/replacement expense costs will be after 10 yrs?

:popcorn:

Good story. Point is right on.

For example, that's why I buy craftsman or snap on vs. a cheapo from Harbor Freight. Yeah, the tool costs a lot more, and (in some cases) only gets used occasionally, but (assuming I don't lose it), I will only have to buy one of them in my lifetime. Basically it is: spend a little more now, or a lot more then.

I think you hit the nail right on the head here. This was a major reason why I bought an OWB in just the 2nd year in my house. After one year using it, I already feel like it was a great decision...lets hope I feel that way after 5 or 10 years too.

It will take me a little longer to break even as I only save about $700-$800 a year when burning wood, but I enjoy it so it's all worth it to me. Good thread :)

Toyota hilux with diff locks, 37" wheels, turbo diesel engine, 2 X winch etc, cost me 2000e, and i use it for pulling anything, for firewood, logs for building, trailer etc.

Old yamaha grizzly, for 1000e, and a log trailer for it, 300e

2 old snowmobiles, for 1000e, with one large utility wood sled.

Thats how i roll my wood from the area.

Then one selfmade log splitter, axes, chainsaws and such. Simple and useful, easy to maintain.

I agree with the money you have spent. I have much of the same, sep'n for a Gator (or equivalent) because we live 'in town' and don't have enough property to cut our wood off of. I did buy a 7000# dump trailer to shag wood with so I could haul more home in one trip though.

One thing I'll add, which may or may not work for a person depending on their situation. I sometimes sell a cord or three , which really helps to subsidize the cost of wood burning equipment. Its never a big profit thing..... but seasoned wood goes for around $300ish here. Sure can help take the bite out of the cost of a new saw or whatever.

buying quality

Quite a few years ago when I was a snotty nosed apprentice boy,I got a grant from my company to buy tools with. The local tool supplier was involved and gave us a good deal.My old tradesmen at the time said watch me, dont buy some cheap rubbish that you will have to replace in a few years buy quality and it will last a lifetime and you only pay for it once. So he came with me and I bought a full set of britool ring openenders and snapon socket sets.
That was nealy 50 years ago and these tools are still being used with out any trouble, and they have been abused with lengths of pipe on them for leverage.working in the rail maintainence industry even had a rail loco run over one and I took it back and they replaced it
save your money and buy the best you can afford and it will last, and usually has a company that will stand behind its product. and remember
You only buy quality once

When it comes to my firewood equipment I'm more into the quanity instead of the quality. I do have some good stuff (stihl, Kubota) but I also have some cheap stuff. The good news is that I'm going to live to be 130 years old cause that's how long it's gonna take me to save enough to pay for all the stuff I have. And that's only if I stop buying now.

When it comes to my firewood equipment I'm more into the quanity instead of the quality. I do have some good stuff (stihl, Kubota) but I also have some cheap stuff. The good news is that I'm going to live to be 130 years old cause that's how long it's gonna take me to save enough to pay for all the stuff I have. And that's only if I stop buying now.

Thankfully I'm not alone...now I just have to buy immortality so that I can break even!

On a serious note, the quality tool will get the job done safer and faster. After all, if you don't place value on your time and ability to utilize it, no one else will either.

Yep, what a bunch of you guys said. I have bought a cheap set of wrenches for heating and bending or grinding thinner for a special occasion. I quit wrenching for a living 20 some odd years ago and quit buying the Snap on and Matco tools, and started buying crapsman. I have flagged down a Mac truck or Snap on truck for a quality screw driver or dykes, some things a guy just shouldn't except any substitutes.

Another thing to remember is that they all don't build stuff like they used to. Rigid used to have a very very good name, the last few things I have bought will be the last rigids I ever buy unless they are old and used. Cub Cadet, and now Dewalt, makita, milwalkee and many more are getting cheaper and cheaper made. Some do have good lines but they have to lower quality to compete.

Good post it took me 5 years to break even on my stove setup. Bought a 66 since then and my latest toy View attachment 245287 but the tractor also has other duties as I'm sure the gator does. I'm not getting any younger so if I have the means to make it easier why not. You can't put a price on fun.... I wish I could get the wife to believe that.

Quality......

I totally agree with you all on buying quality tools once. I mostly own craftsman, makita, porter cable. But sometimes i believe cheap tools are ok, i own some HF wrenches for beating, kicking, and modifying to a specific purpose. Most HF stuff is ok for a weekend warrior or someone who barley uses tools. I am a diesel mechanic by trade, and when my shop wanted new tools and boxes they sold off our craftsman pro series and got matco....WORST move ever. I honestly prefer HF tools over matco. i have broke more Matco tools using them properly than i have ever broke HF tools using them improperly. You could'nt give me a matco tool set, and i told the rep that when he came 2 months after we got them to see how we liked them. He comes by weekly to replace tools, so far in 3 yrs he has never had a week of not replacing any tools....BUY HF BEFORE TO WASTE MORE MONEY ON MATCO. just my 2 cents.....

25 buck yard sale woodstove. Relined it with new stove pipe, cut to fit (cast top and bottom and doors, sheet metal sides). Paid for itself within a week I guess.

Saws..different story. so far I am just buying and accumulating, eventually a lot of them will be forsale, but that's a couple few years down the road still. Not selling wood yet but might soon, I have so much now stacked up.

Use the boss's tractor to get wood out, bought a chevy pickup ($550 and my old van in swap) for eventual wood sales delivery and backup get the wood out. Have a military trailer that needs some work to be road worthy and registerable, but got that freebie.

I really don't have that much cash tied up in wood, something over a thousand bucks now total..I guess with two new to me saws coming in a week or so (just went nuts lately, wanted a big saw, got two) I'll be into it for around $1500 total. That's a lotta saws though, dozens now. Eventual "shop stock".

Best deal bar none for wood, Fiskars supersplitter @50 clams. I DO NOT MISS swinging ye aulde anvyle on a stick..nope. Second best deal, poulan 245a mixed in with the cheap poulans at a pawn shop...for the same price as those...got it running right out at my truck in the parking lot....old american tool built *right*.

I make the same post about this time every year in the "free" heat thread or "how little I have in my set-up" thread.

I could Heat my house with ng for the next 10 years for what I have in my set-up. With about $1,000 in saws..$350 in chains/sharpener..$750 splitter..$4300 diesel dump..$2,500 in furnace/duct/flue. You factor in fuel and the back breaking labor involved and I have to convince myself to start the process over every year. My family and I love wood heat but it's just work to me.

It will take me a little longer to break even as I only save about $700-$800 a year when burning wood, but I enjoy it so it's all worth it to me. Good thread :)

You're still on your way though, which is what matters.

Good post it took me 5 years to break even on my stove setup. Bought a 66 since then and my latest toy View attachment 245287 but the tractor also has other duties as I'm sure the gator does. I'm not getting any younger so if I have the means to make it easier why not. You can't put a price on fun.... I wish I could get the wife to believe that.

The Gator defiantly has other duties for sure. The dog likes riding in it, the girlfriend likes driving it, heck I like driving it, and it makes the little dumb chores very easy. It's a 15 minute job to hook the tractor to the trailer, then 15 to unhook. Doesn't sound like much until you have a quick 5 minute job that needs done, and it suddenly turns into an hour project. The other killer, for me, is picking the tractor. I have one with a front end loader and too small of a bucket for wood carrying, and the other is a farmall M. Either way it's a fight to turn the trailer around in the woods, either from the loader getting in the way or the manual steering of the M, which is too big for the job to begin with.

Plus when I do hit my break even point, I'll have a gator that can be used elsewhere, the ability to have heat during a power outage, and if I ever want to I can light a fire in the garage now, which I was unable to do before. So in my opinion, I'll be way ahead of the game even when the money is back to being even.

I make the same post about this time every year in the "free" heat thread or "how little I have in my set-up" thread.

I could Heat my house with ng for the next 10 years for what I have in my set-up. With about $1,000 in saws..$350 in chains/sharpener..$750 splitter..$4300 diesel dump..$2,500 in furnace/duct/flue. You factor in fuel and the back breaking labor involved and I have to convince myself to start the process over every year. My family and I love wood heat but it's just work to me.

True, but how much other work has that dump truck done for you? Different areas are different of course, I am stuck with an oil boiler unless I really wanted to spend some serious money. No ductwork other than the 2 jerry-rigged runs I installed, no NG access. Thankfully I have a good 2 flue chimney already, so putting a wood furnace in was very easy for me. Otherwise I'd be either buying an entire propane set-up, or going electric, or dealing with insane oil prices. Either way would have been a pile of money, either now or long-term.

Back