Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys...I picked up a JRed Turbo 2149 at a garage sale yesterday . The chain hung down off of the bar which was canted out at an angle . I asked the sweet young thing what was wrong with the saw and she said that according to her husband it just needed some TLC and maybe some small parts (he had purchased a new saw and didn't want to #### around with this old one). For $20 dollars asking price the saw came home with me .
Later on in the evening I was able to remove the bar and chain by carefully prying off the sprocket/chain brake cover .(The chain brake strap(?) was clamped around the sprocket drum .)
My problem now is how to release the strap from the clamped on/kickback position . There doesn't appear to be any broken parts or pieces inside the cover . I tried moving the three-legged star-shaped levering device back into position but it is jammed good .
I have unsuccessfully searched for a schematic .
Any help would be most appreciated .
I have three other older (heavier!) Jonsereds that have been retired and a couple of Huskies(heaviest) semi-retired . I need a lighter saw for cutting firewood because those trees and saws keep getting heavier every year.

Take off the chain brake handle, mate it up with the 3 prong piece and unlock it. Best way to go about it.

Take off the chain brake handle, mate it up with the 3 prong piece and unlock it. Best way to go about it.
Thanks PB for the reply....but I tried that this morning before I posted . I was afraid of putting too much force on the handle because it is only plastic .
I clamped the cover in a vise( gently) put a small c-clamp over where the chain brake handle and cover meet( so they wouldn't jump apart) and pulled on the handle ...but was afraid that I would snap something .

Last edited:
There's a Jonsereds 111 that's mostly complete but missing the top cover on Craigslist in Estacada Oregon right now. I believe it's $40

Thanks PB for the reply....but I tried that this morning before I posted . I was afraid of putting too much force on the handle because it is only plastic .
I clamped the cover in a vise( gently) put a small c-clamp over where the chain brake handle and cover meet( so they wouldn't jump apart) and pulled on the handle ...but was afraid that I would snap something .
Update on the above ;
This morning I disassembled the chain brake (Thanks Germanoak) washed and greased all the parts put everything back together ....now the chain brake snaps back and forth like it is supposed to....with little effort on the kickback guard .
The assembly wasn't that dirty but I guess with just enough grit to bind it up . I'll be greasing it regularly ....if I get the saw running....
Gonna clean the carb next .

Update on the above ;
This morning I disassembled the chain brake (Thanks Germanoak) washed and greased all the parts put everything back together ....now the chain brake snaps back and forth like it is supposed to....with little effort on the kickback guard .
The assembly wasn't that dirty but I guess with just enough grit to bind it up . I'll be greasing it regularly ....if I get the saw running....
Gonna clean the carb next .
Took the carb off , took it apart and cleaned it .Now she starts on the first or second pull.....not bad for a 20 dollar saw .
Gotta sharpen the chain and check if the spark plug is the right one for this type of saw...right now has a BP MR74 ...

Took the carb off , took it apart and cleaned it .Now she starts on the first or second pull.....not bad for a 20 dollar saw .
Gotta sharpen the chain and check if the spark plug is the right one for this type of saw...right now has a BP MR74 ...

I think you mean BPMR7A. That is the correct plug for the saw. ;)

I think you mean BPMR7A. That is the correct plug for the saw. ;)

Yes PB , you are correct .
I'll pick up a spare but so far it runs and idles nicely .
I cut up a log yesterday and it again performed well although not as fast as my older heavier Huskies .
I'd like to put a longer bar on the JRed ....right now it has a 16" bar .

Jonsereds M36

Just picked up this one. Is in rough shape but it has compression with a few scratches on the piston. I am gonna gonna spray some PB Blaster down the plug hole since it pulls so hard. Relatives gave this too me and she said that it hadn't been ran in like 30 years. Any more info on these? ThanksView attachment 245800View attachment 245801

Probably won't use it for anything unless it runs super good. Or if I can get it running at all. Parts are impossible to find. But I am sure that they would get a kick out of it to hear it run.

I'm thinking that either they are gonna be either fired p&c or roasted bearings. Is there any saws that where notorious for egging out the cases to make them unusable?

If he's got any 920/930's I'd be interested in a couple to play with. Where in WI are you?

I haven't made it over there yet to look because work has been really hecktic. So when I do ill post what is there. I live about 30 miles north of the Wisconsin dells and about 30 miles east of tomah.

The northeast one? I probally won't make that because that's our county fair but want to make it to the steam and gas show. Tryin to round up some saws to go there with.

Back