Did I get a good deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHS79

Reaction score
I just picked up a Stihl MS270-C with 20" bar .325 and case for $200. Is that good deal?

It starts and runs like a champ, cuts good although the chain could use a sharpening and I will be picking up a new chain this week to have on hand. The saw needs a good bath, the plastic is dirty but seems to clean up pretty good, so I will be disassembling and cleaning it all sometime in the near future.

Another question I have, isn't the MS270-C considered a "pro" saw? I always thought that all Stihls with white handles were in the "pro" line, but a buddies dad (who is a guy that thinks he knows everything) said the 270 was just a homeowner/consumer model saw. So who is right here?

The ms270/271 falls in the farm and ranch saw category, in between the homeowner and pro, just as described by Chris J. My local dealer lists the 271 with a 20" bar on the website for $459. May be cheaper in store, but i'm guessing not much. Judging by a quick look through the saw pics in all the categories, the handles range in color from all white, orange/black, white/black, etc....
Imo, a good running saw for $200 with a 20", i don't think you can go wrong. Maybe swap out that 20 for an 18, i'm sure others may chime in.

Get rid of the 20" and put a 16" on it. 20" is WAY too much for it in the long run. I used to have an MS270WB, mint condition. Ran about 3 tanks through it and sold it for $325.....it was replaced with a 346 from nmurph.

As has already been said..it's not a true Pro grade saw..but still a very good one..!!

Drop down to a 16" bar and chain - 18" max..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Thanks for the replys guys! The 2 saws that I was looking at was the MS270C that I bought and the other was a 026 with 18" bar .325 chain for $300. For the little amount that I am going to use it, maybe 2-3 truck loads a year for campfire wood and yard clean up, I figured the 270 would suit me just fine. Its big enough to fall trees, yet small enough to limb with. The 270 is a definite step up from the 021 that I was using...

Last edited:
The 026 is significantly better quality than the 270 but was a bit overpriced at $300. If those were the only two choices, you probably picked the best deal. $200 is OK but not great. If it cleans up really nice and is in good condition then you did fine. That 270, well cared for, will last for years and years. Of course you will need an additional saw soon if you keep reading on this site. "beware"!

You were warned...

I traded my 270 in on a 362 a month ago cause I wanted a saw with more power for hardwoods, the 270 was a great saw and you got a good deal at 200 dollars. You will be happy with it, it will run a 20" bar just fine as long as you are not pushing it through the wood.

I think you got a good deal and the case was a bonus. It's amazing what the pawn shops want for old stihls around my neck of the woods! One shop had a ms170 and it was extremely used, no paint left on the bar and when I picked it up the engine about fell out of the handle. It was filthy dirty also. It still ran though but I about fainted when I seen the $200 price tag on it. I wanted to try and find the reasoning in his price because I could drive 15 minutes down the road and purchase a brand new one for $179. I should have let him have it because he is no different than a crook in my eyes! But just shook my head, he's gotta make a living I guess. The sad thing is he probly sold it to some poor fella that didn't know any better. The funny thing was he also had a ms250 but it had $215 tag on it. :dizzy:

... Maybe swap out that 20 for an 18, i'm sure others may chime in.

Get rid of the 20" and put a 16" on it. 20" is WAY too much for it in the long run. I used to have an MS270WB, mint condition. Ran about 3 tanks through it and sold it for $325.....it was replaced with a 346 from nmurph.

As has already been said..it's not a true Pro grade saw..but still a very good one..!!

Drop down to a 16" bar and chain - 18" max..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I just sold mine a few months ago, saw was smooth as silk just not enough power.

Nice saw deal IMHO .. :)

Instead of swapping out the B&C, why not do a muffler mod? :rock:

Back