Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think everyone should have at least 1 modified saw... Even if it's just for the grin factor... I caught Steve grinning when he had some ported saws in his hands...:msp_biggrin:

True, but I still grin when I pull the trigger and drop the 7300 tip deep in a big round, I'm easy to please. Although I keep thinking about sending a saw south next summer and picking it up when I come down to the GTG...

If I take the baffles out of the muffler on the Mrs. P-2000 does that count? I ain't touchin' my 025. It's been good to me over the years.

Simple Mac, getcha another saw and get it modded. WARNING - like everything else fun or good, modded saws are probably illegal in Illinoisistan. I've got a S25CVA that's similar to your 2000, gotta get it running soon, the green undie guys sure brag on them little saws.

Off to do the firewood shuffle for a while. I know randomly moving firewood around is uncool with some here, but it dries much better out in the open, and I don't have much "open" next to the house. It's a price I pay for having good seasoned wood just outside the back door when it's colder than heck and nothing with a motor wants to run.

True, but I still grin when I pull the trigger and drop the 7300 tip deep in a big round, I'm easy to please. Although I keep thinking about sending a saw south next summer and picking it up when I come down to the GTG...

Simple Mac, getcha another saw and get it modded. WARNING - like everything else fun or good, modded saws are probably illegal in Illinoisistan. I've got a S25CVA that's similar to your 2000, gotta get it running soon, the green undie guys sure brag on them little saws.

Off to do the firewood shuffle for a while. I know randomly moving firewood around is uncool with some here, but it dries much better out in the open, and I don't have much "open" next to the house. It's a price I pay for having good seasoned wood just outside the back door when it's colder than heck and nothing with a motor wants to run.

Yeee Haw!!!!

You mean one of these? I'll be ready to fire this one in a couple days. I also have it's older brother, a 25D, manual oiler.
If I mod it I'll leave the racing stripes and mag wheels off so our good governor doesn't have it confiscated.

attachment.php

Hedge, I found a use for that aforementioned Stihl scabbard:

attachment.php

Got some wood moved under cover. My wheelbarrow, one row across the back is probably not real efficient, but it sure is easy. Besides, the longest haul is about 200 yards.

attachment.php

Here's 4 loads in the shed, the row in back is 6' wide x 20" average length x average 6' high, call it half a cord with the pieces I put on the divider stack to raise it up.

attachment.php

This side will be the "deep winter" stash, all red and white oak, and some ironwood. The other 2/3 will get filled with a mix of everything else that I have laying around.

Just plan on taking a trip to Jasper AR this fall... Bring the 025... I don't know too many folks that have run a well modified 371 /372 husky, that aren't sold on the idea of having at least one... I think Cowroy got one from Jasha and I'll bet you couldn't pry that thing out of his hands... The one I have from the build off has been flogged hard for 2 years and is still rockin'...
I think Steve got to run that one a couple days ago... They're just fun...

You got it Hedge! I have run faster/meaner saws than mine, but the port work is very basic and just a fuzz conservative. It is super smooth and just right for me and what I do.

Mac, I am not going to try to sell you on a ported saw, but I would encourage you to go to a gtg sometime. The people you meet, you will never forget and you will get to run saws that in any other circumstance would never get to run. I won't get to make it to the AR gtg this year but next year if I am alive I will be there.

To end the cad thing on a good note I picked up a super low hour 365special the other day for stupid cheap and it will be special before it's over with too. :msp_wink:

Hedge, I found a use for that aforementioned Stihl scabbard:

attachment.php

Haha...doesn't that Stihl scabbard make that Monkey Ward look big and badazz. JK, you understand.

Mac, I am not going to try to sell you on a ported saw, but I would encourage you to go to a gtg sometime. The people you meet, you will never forget and you will get to run saws that in any other circumstance would never get to run. I won't get to make it to the AR gtg this year but next year if I am alive I will be there.

I could probably juice up my PP4620, but I really don't like to run it. Feels like I don't have good control with the
sloppy feel of the AV mounts, and it cuts slower than my 025 (don't tell the Poulan Stickie boys that I said that).
I'm gonna put it up on CL one of these days. I don't yet know about the AR gig. We have a trip to Maine to make
yet this year. The Mrs. folks live up there, and we're gonna be looking at some acreage while we're in the neighborhood.
Might get out of this God forsaken state yet.

Started working on the pile of green Cherry rounds today. Even w/ the Fiskars, they SUCK! I'll be doing the rest of the splitting w/ the machine.

attachment.php

And this is why I hate tree service firewood... These are the "shorts".

attachment.php

The CL post offering the wood said "cut to 18" length". "Cut to random lengths" would have been more accurate. Or, various lengths. How about:every conceivable length.
Guess I need to find a customer who wants their wood cut 10-12".

Don't get me started on the farmer cuts...

Yea, cherry sucks by hand. I had a ####ty time with my fiskars on it too.

I've split a LOT of cherry with the Fiskars and it's not the easiest, but the main thing is that you have to split it on the chord, not the radius. It seems to separate better with the growth rings; pretty easy to go around and split off shakes, but if you just try to whack a round in half it'll take a while.

The CL post offering the wood said "cut to 18" length". "Cut to random lengths" would have been more accurate. Or, various lengths. How about:every conceivable length.
Guess I need to find a customer who wants their wood cut 10-12".

Don't get me started on the farmer cuts...

I feel your pain, well, except for the Fiskars induced pain. :msp_sneaky:

We run into that. If it's free, we don't sweat it too much. Just takes longer to process. Time I got. It's all
for personal consumption in our case. If I was selling it I'd probably fell about like you do.

I feel your pain, well, except for the Fiskars induced pain. :msp_sneaky:

We run into that. If it's free, we don't sweat it too much. Just takes longer to process. Time I got. It's all
for personal consumption in our case. If I was selling it I'd probably fell about like you do.

I'd buy each of my tree service wood hook-ups a Mingo if I thought it would do any good...
After watching them work, I'd like to buy half of them a handful 7/32 files & show them how to use them!

I've split a LOT of cherry with the Fiskars and it's not the easiest, but the main thing is that you have to split it on the chord, not the radius. It seems to separate better with the growth rings; pretty easy to go around and split off shakes, but if you just try to whack a round in half it'll take a while.

On the bigger pieces that's basically what I do also.

Gas powered Wheelbarrow

Post #674, SierraWoodsman: How do you like the power wheel barrow? And, what brand is it? Crane

I know that this is going to make some of you guys roll your eyes and chuckle, But that Gas powered Wheelbarrow is an absolute Godsend. It's a pretty rugged/heavy duty unit too. Light enough to throw up on the wood hauling trailer when the day is done(one fairly strong guy). It really makes hauling the wood out up steeper terrain so much easier (which is par for the course in the high Sierra). It's Bulit by "Curb King" company in Utah. Mine came with a 35cc Honda 4-stroke Engine Providing 1.6 HP the the wheels. It is surprizing how little fuel it uses. One tiny tank will easily run 8 hours continueously. This unit is geared pretty low for climbling hills, so that @ WOT it's a only fast walk. A little on the pricy side, but oh man is it worth it! I've posted some some additional info on this Thread:
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/182025-6.htm

This thead is a worth while read as it's got alot of good ideas to make things easier.

Regards,
Walt

Last edited:
There was a murder here last night... From the looks of the crime scene, a whole log of Boxelder was noodled to death...
We believe a small Stihl was involved... All the Dolmars in the nearby saw tree were pointing at it...

attachment.php

There was a murder here last night... From the looks of the crime scene, a whole log of Boxelder was noodled to death...
We believe a small Stihl was involved... All the Dolmars in the nearby saw tree were pointing at it...

I'll sign the pardon for the Stihl, just get some more box elder up on that buck! If ya run low, I'll see what I can do about sending a couple bazillion cords down the river to ya!

Today's wood moving progress, there's now a bit over a cord of oak in there. Rain is coming later, if we get a lot, I'll let the stacks dry back out before continuing, otherwise, back at it again tomorrow.

attachment.php

Back