need an intervintion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wife and I went to town yesterday. Seems as usual I made comments about my two favorite things, trees that need turned to firewood and good looking spots to call coyotes. Cant go anywhere without thats all I see. Wife said she would like to see the world through my eyes for a day, I told her she couldn't handle it for an hr. Anybody else so afflicted?:msp_scared:

Yes, but you're on AS. That's like walking into a stripclub and asking if anyone else is craving a lap dance.

Carry on as usual.

Firewood and gentleman's clubs ain't so different...
Whenever some of y'all see a deal on a chainsaw all the money falls out'a your pockets...
Whenever I walk into a gentleman's club all the money falls out'a my pockets.

I only seem to make it into a gentleman's club every 5-6 years or so, it takes me that long to save up enough cash to afford it...
and that long to forget what it cost me the last time.

Whenever some of y'all see a deal on a chainsaw all the money falls out'a your pockets...

I only seem to make it into a gentleman's club every 5-6 years or so, it takes me that long to save up enough cash to afford it...

Its not so hard if you remind yourself that those girls are someones daughters.

I am always looking for a firewood score! Everyday on my way to work, I see this really tall butternut hickory that is kinda leaning towards the high lines. That bad boy has probably a 30" base! The energy company marked it to cut it down. Oh yea, the day I see that tree has been cut down, I'm gonna call in sick to work! No one hauls them either! They just cut them down and leave them laying in the woods! And my second obsession is motor oil on sale. Can't pass on a good sale on some oil! I stay away from strip clubs! Bad luck, plus my wife would take away my wood burner...and everything around it!

Its not so hard if you remind yourself that those girls are someones daughters.

Yeah? Well some of them are someones mother... and a lot of them are making a ton of money.
Every woman on the face of the planet is someones daughter, and reminding myself of that don't change a thing.
If you wannna' believe they're being exploited and taken advantage of... go ahead, but people make choices based on their personal values.
Just for information, my wife worked those places back in the day, and I personally know a few others that did also... not a single one of them regrets it, and they'll all tell you the money was darn good... and the work was a lot of fun.
It ain't what the goody-two-shoes of the world want you to believe.
Really, they are doing what they do for the money... it's just dancing.

Oh, and yeah I have a daughter... she just turned 16.
And by-the-way, my wife has no problem with it when I've been to a "club", and I've never even tried to hide it from her... heck, she's even stopped in for a beer if she was going by and knew we were there (women aren't normally required to pay the door fee).

It ain't like I'm taking my pants off.

Wife and I went to town yesterday. Seems as usual I made comments about my two favorite things, trees that need turned to firewood and good looking spots to call coyotes. Cant go anywhere without thats all I see. Wife said she would like to see the world through my eyes for a day, I told her she couldn't handle it for an hr. Anybody else so afflicted?:msp_scared:

I went all the way to Turkey a while back and what was the first thing I noticed?All the black locust they have. I spent 2 hours walking through a big park just to see what trees they had.I didn't see no coyotes,though.

Yeah, but the owner of the saw shop didn't appreciate it when I put the $20 in his thong last time. :D

Apparently. :(

Obviously! Saw shops must be a little different there. I have never been to a shop where there is a single soul that I would want to see in a G-string. Now, if you could get the strippers to work at the saw shop...that's a different story and not too bad of a business idea.

My eye always wanders toward firewood/downed trees etc., pole barns, dump trailers, and just about any equipment for sale on the side of the road.

My wife knows me so well now that when there are trees down or wood to be scrounged she will get out of the car before me to ask the homeowner or tree service if the wood is up for grabs. She marches out and is back in a minute or two and says "there, I just saved myself 3 hours of sitting in the car while you're chatting with your new best friend. You can start this evening and the homeowner wants the wood gone by the weekend. It's oak. You happy?" Or something similar to that. She's a bright woman, likes it about 75 degrees in the house and knows the connection between wood and warmth. She still does laugh when she sees my neck crank as we drive by a nice pole building or garage though.

My wife knows me so well now that when there are trees down or wood to be scrounged she will get out of the car before me to ask the homeowner or tree service if the wood is up for grabs.

A woman after my own heart. Oh, wait. I already have one like that.

I love cuttin' firewood and I'm always looking and spotting dead trees to cut up. Wife thinks it crazy how I just go up to peoples doors, knock, and ask for permission to cut wood. :rolleyes2:

Living here in Nevada I love callin' in 'yotes as much as I hate the bordellos and strip clubs.

I love cuttin' firewood and I'm always looking and spotting dead trees to cut up. Wife thinks it crazy how I just go up to peoples doors, knock, and ask for permission to cut wood. :rolleyes2:

Living here in Nevada I love callin' in 'yotes as much as I hate the bordellos and strip clubs.

I also do the same! CAD!

Obviously! Saw shops must be a little different there. I have never been to a shop where there is a single soul that I would want to see in a G-string.

I have and thats why I have as many chains and saws as I do. :redface: Two daughters of the owner who work at the business and are very easy on the eyes. Super nice too.

As far as coyotes, I'm starting to get the itch. Summers almost over and the cooler months are coming none too soon. Juist bought my NY hunting license. Coyote population is actually down around me.

Once season is here, never home unless it's dark outside and even then....

Wife thinks I'm nuts.

I spent most of the early spring harvesting firewood from a highway widening project near me. The first thing they did was cut down all the trees. I hauled about 5 cords of oak and acacia out of there before they took everything I left to the dump. I wasn't fast enough, dang day job. I had an entire weekend of mourning when they hauled the rest of the wood away. :( It was a very sad day.

I found a big pile of eucalyptus on the highway when I was driving to work this past June. Before I got there someone got the easy small stuff. I noodled some rounds that were over 30" across and put them on my truck by myself. I got another cord that day. My friends think I am crazy and they as me why I do this. I love the work and it saves me money. They ask me what I spend the money I save on. The important stuff: diesel for my truck, an ammunition. Yes, there are rednecks in California.

I see downed trees while we are out and about and my wife sees my head spin around. She knows I am going to say: "I wonder if they want that tree?" There is never, ever enough firewood. I wish they would let me work in the state parks that are around here. All the other people are enjoying a nice hike in the woods. The whole time I am out there I'm trying to figure out how I would get my truck and trailer in and how I would drop a tree to make it easy to bring up to level ground. We look at old growth redwoods and people say, "I wonder how tall that tree is?" I'm thinking, "I wonder how many cords are in that one?" I would only burn redwood in an emergency situation; that being I couldn't get any hardwood. It's still fun to think about how many cords are in a big tree. Going to state parks is fun, but I never feel as close to nature as when I am in the woods with a 100cc chainsaw in my hands screaming wide open. They won't let me do that in a state park. They just don't understand.

Last spring I drove 2 1/2 hours one way to buy chain loops from a guy that once owned a chainsaw dealership. He had piles of demo chains that were run once. He sold them for $3 - $4 a loop. I got at least 6 loops for every saw I own and I outfitted my friends with loops too. We all got chainsaw chaps and other accessories. My wife thought I was crazy for going that far but I won't need chains for a very long time and I paid a fraction of the cost of this stuff new.

On weekends I am constantly on the prowl for used chainsaws at garage sales. I love rebuilding saws. My wife asks me why I need so many saws. I ask her why she needs so many knitting needles. Chainsaws are like golf clubs: each one serves a different purpose. Plus they heat the house and I can make money on them when I sell them. I am about even or a little ahead on the saws I have rebuilt and sold and the saws I kept. I could sell them all and be way ahead.

Firewood has become a way of life for me. I like everything about it from the equipment to cutting and splitting wood. Stacking is the only thing I don't like, but I would rather stack firewood than go to work. I am a mechanical engineer and spend most of my time in the office. The people I work with think I am nuts, but then again I think they are nuts. I don't understand not being able to do things yourself. They call me crazy now, but if a big earthquake hits they'll be asking me for help. My house will be warm and my family will be taken care of. I don't need assistance from the police or the government.

This thread is much longer than I thought it would be when I started typing. I guess I really like cutting firewood. I thought I needed an intervention when all this started. What I really needed was a place where people did the same things I did. I found that place at Arboristsite. When I came here I had two chainsaws and a old logsplitter someone gave me that I rebuilt. I lost count of how many saws I have and I have more equipment than I ever thought I needed. I still think I don't need an intervention. I can quit anytime.

There are much worse things you can do with your free time than cutting up firewood. Through firewood I have saved our family a lot of money and made a lot of friends. When you split wood with someone for 8 hours you are better friends than if you sat on bar stools with them for as much time IMHO. My wife doesn't *like* me spending hours rebuilding chainsaws but she says at least I make money at it. There are worse hobbies to have.

After all the rambling this is my $0.02

Bob

Last edited:
Good morning I'm Hal and I "suffer" from CAD.

I have well over 10 cords of wood - unsplit, in piles and 2 years of wood seasoned for the past two or so years. I too look all of the time for wood. Mostly because I like the cutting of it.

I put ads in CRAIGS LIST looking for folks that need trees cut. That is where the 10 cords of wood have come from over the past year.

Probably will continue to be a CAD "sufferer" for a number of years to come - not a bad thing.

Hal

When I'm at work and have a moment I dream about being out in the woods. Cutting, splitting, it doesn't matter. Same thing when I'm home and stuck doing non-firewood type jobs. I love it all, from running the saws, to working on the saws, to swinging the axes, to sharpening them, to burning the stoves, to just being out in the woods. OK, I don't like hauling it much.

A bad day in the woods is still better than a good day in the office.

Back