Anybody burn Holly?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve2910

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a chance to grab some... Any easy score. Just wondering the usual stuff, how's it split, how long to dry, & OF COURSE, BTUs?

Thanx in advance.

I have burned some but not a lot. Good BTU's - just behind shagbark hickory and ahead of most if not all of the oaks. Can be a little stringy to split when its large but nothing terrible. I woud go for it.

I have a chance to grab some... Any easy score. Just wondering the usual stuff, how's it split, how long to dry, & OF COURSE, BTUs?

Thanx in advance.

American Holly (Ilex Opaca) 3,995 lbs/cord, 24.8 MBTU

Don't know anything about it, never burned any that I know of.

Been seasoning mine for almost a year now - split rather nastily [not quite Elm but close] but seemed extremely dense and will let you know more this winter when it hits the stove. What mac88 said as well; read that on the BTU chart here stickynoted on the forum so I kept the logs.

I've never had much of it but what I did burned quite well. I have two larger ones that are pretty much dead, and I will be burning that for sure.

Holly is OK

I burned some holly years ago. It splits hard. Get a hydraulic splitter. Season it up for a year and it burns nice. Lots of heat. It spits a little when you burn it.

As promised...

This is one of the ugliest rounds of the Holly. I didn't bother cutting off the "tentacles", just threw it on the beam & let 'er rip.

attachment.php

The other side...

attachment.php

Surprised me how cleanly it split. I was expecting a tangled birds nest of grain. The rounds have some weight to them, but the splits feel dry, if that makes any sense?

attachment.php

Nice picks Steve. Thanks for sharing yyour wood score. I am glad it splits nicely and hope it burns as nice. I forgot to take pictures of my truck loaded down on the pavement.

Nice picks Steve. Thanks for sharing yyour wood score. I am glad it splits nicely and hope it burns as nice. I forgot to take pictures of my truck loaded down on the pavement.

That Cherry was HEAVY, Hope you didn't drag your trailer hitch off on the way home...

Back