Got to meet Hedgerow, and some of his Hedge!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I have never seen one. Anyone want to swap something for a box of the mature seed ball things? I was reading up how to start them and so on, would like to plant some here, biodiversity and whatnot. Not that I want a lot of thorns of course, but if the wood is that good, I imagine a ew in the woods would be OK, could stick them down the creek back in the swamp maybe or???.

Unless your like three or four years old, it take 40 years or more before you got a harvestable tree of hedge from seed.

There fast growers but not that fast.

Last edited:
80' of Hedge...

... was growing in my back yard on the back border in Normal, IL. That stuff was mean. Huge thorns, and monstrous green hedge apples fell every year. The wood was hard as nails and strong as an ox. I recall hanging a pair of gymnastic rings from a horizontal branch for exercise. Whenever I jumped on them, the branch hardly budged, and I weighed 180 at the time.

Some say that hedgerow was used to contain livestock. It would have been impossible for a cow to walk through that border. The thorns were enormous, some at least 2" long and sharp enough to sew seams with.

Some say that hedgerow was used to contain livestock. It would have been impossible for a cow to walk through that border.

That's how it picked up the name "hedge". I've got hedge, and I've got mulberry. They don't look anything alike
except the color. ;o)

OK, I guess. But if it turns burnt orange in a couple of weeks and no hedge apples are lying around for proof... :msp_unsure:

I'll do you one better doc... The hedge tree I cut that log out of has no hedge apples on it... And the wood will dry dark... Almost brown as it seasons... And yet??? It's still hedge... :hmm3grin2orange:

Unless your like three or four years old, it take 40 years or more before you got a harvestable tree of hedge from seed.

There fast growers but not that fast.

That's cool,. I don't care. Paying it forward for the following generations after the next "carrington event" or whatever might happen. Be good to have some growing around here. I was thinking more of the living fence idea anyway, with just the trims for some wood.

I've never seen it offered for sale around here in any of the firewood listings, so it must be rare.

Host at indiana jones temple of doom feast "Ahhh...chilled monkey brains"!

BWAHAHAHAHHA!

Ya, if that is what you call them. I guess you let them sit or soak them or a week or something and dig the seeds out of the slime. Then start them, then transplant, in the spring.

We have a real small tree here, has orange wood and nasty thorns but I never see it getting any larger than a small shrub. Like one inch diameter, tops, maybe nine feet high. Maybe it's the same thing and they just don't grow tree size here? Don't recall any "moneky brains", but could have missed them, too. there's not very many of them I have seen.

^^ that's not multiflora, I know what that is and it gets big and extensive here. Some of that can get like 3-4 inch diameter "trunks" in the bushes, and I have burned a few of the larger chunks just to try it, but it is a serious PITA to do anything with them other than nuke from orbit.

edit: I looked at closeup pics of the fruit monkey brains and what it looks like cut open. There juust might be one big one here but I never noticed thorns on it. I'll grab one of the brains tomorrow and cut it open to look at it.

I've yet to be successful getting them to germinate. Harvested fruit from different trees, trying to overcome the male/ female thing. Most of what I've read said to freeze/ thaw a few times, that didn't help...

Anybody have any insight?

PM me your mailing address and I'll UPS ya a box of em when they start falling...

Thanks man! I'll catch ya on shipping and maybe I have some swap you might want? Garden seed we save (I'm getting some nice biggggg watermerlons right now, our seed for a lot of years), hey, maybe some fatlighter? I can go yank one out with the tractor and cut up the choice pieces. Indoor plants? I've got baby aloes that come from a mama plant I bought in the 80s.

Anyway, ya, I'll PM you and you let me know what you might want. Fun is fun!

Thanks man! I'll catch ya on shipping and maybe I have some swap you might want? Garden seed we save (I'm getting some nice biggggg watermerlons right now, our seed for a lot of years), hey, maybe some fatlighter? I can go yank one out with the tractor and cut up the choice pieces. Indoor plants? I've got baby aloes that come from a mama plant I bought in the 80s.

Anyway, ya, I'll PM you and you let me know what you might want. Fun is fun!

You got PINE KNOTS!!??? Damn skippy I want one!!!

I've yet to be successful getting them to germinate. Harvested fruit from different trees, trying to overcome the male/ female thing. Most of what I've read said to freeze/ thaw a few times, that didn't help...

Anybody have any insight?

Throw the hedge apples in a pile by the fence... Just imagine the last place you'd want a tree.. Then put it there... Let em rot over winter... Step in em and cuss at em every so often... They like that... See what sprouts out of the pile of goo... Then cuss at it once in a while too...
They seem to like being where they aren't wanted...

As much as will fit in a box from GA...

My offer stands on the Hickory, I have Pine knots as well. I also have big boxes... It'll be fun when the girl behind the counter gives me the "Anything hazardous, fragile, liquid, flammable, potentially dangerous... speech. "Ma'am, I'm mailing some firewood to a guy in Missouri"...

You got PINE KNOTS!!??? Damn skippy I want one!!!

Not really knots (that is some english construct with a name I forget now...), it's the like taproot/heartwood area from just a little above ground, then mostly below. The ones from rotted stumps here are at ~ 40 years old since they were logged and are hard shiny and smell like..well..pine, like solid pinesol. *most* of the stump rots away but leaves this like stalagmite thing sticking up. Light it with a match it burns hot. Neat stuff, sort of fast growing coal or something. Appears to be impervious to rot/insects whatever.

Of course you are funning with me you proly got some around you, too....

tell ya what else I haven't been able to find around here, morels! WTH?? Ain't seen a one.

Our cabin is the oldest inhabited structure around here, and it appears to be originally made with heartpine. You just about can't pound a nail into it. You mostly just don't think of pine as being a "hard" wood, but dang, some sure is.

Most of the baby trees we do we just use cuttings, good results from most species so far. That's all fast growing spring shoots though, they are the best.

Not really knots (that is some english construct with a name I forget now...), it's the like taproot/heartwood area from just a little above ground, then mostly below. The ones from rotted stumps here are at ~ 40 years old since they were logged and are hard shiny and smell like..well..pine, like solid pinesol. *most* of the stump rots away but leaves this like stalagmite thing sticking up. Light it with a match it burns hot. Neat stuff, sort of fast growing coal or something. Appears to be impervious to rot/insects whatever.

Of course you are funning with me you proly got some around you, too....

tell ya what else I haven't been able to find around here, morels! WTH?? Ain't seen a one.

Our cabin is the oldest inhabited structure around here, and it appears to be originally made with heartpine. You just about can't pound a nail into it. You mostly just don't think of pine as being a "hard" wood, but dang, some sure is.

Most of the baby trees we do we just use cuttings, good results from most species so far. That's all fast growing spring shoots though, they are the best.

We got no pine knots here... No pine trees... No nothing... The Arkansas fellas call it "fat wood"
Guarranteed to light with a match...
I'd love to have some...

Back