&@$*@$ Bees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
home remedy

Give this a try. It's always best to kill them before you work in the area but in the real world we don't know they are there until we stir them up and get stung. I have had good results with household ammonia, yes the cleaning liquid that will take your breath away if you get a good snort of it. If possible hold the open top of it tightly over the sting and tip the bottle up to cover the sting with the liquid and hold it there a couple minutes. If you can't hold the bottle to seal against the sting, then soak a small rag or paper towel and hold it on the affected area. Do this immediately after you get stung and the effects will be greatly reduced. I have no idea if this works on you folks who actually have an allergy to the stings.

Last year had a bald faced hornet nest about 30 ft up in one of the trees, you could not go on that side of the house without them getting po-ed. Bad part was that is the garage/ porch ect side. Way too high to get to so me a bud sat down with the air rifles one sunday afternoon and started picking them off, after about 500 pellets went zipping through the nest it was pretty much like swiss cheese,birds got some more and mother nature finished them off with a hard rain. None so far this year. Maybe because we are so dry here, there hasn't been a lot of problems with the little buggers this year. Last year was WWIII.

I work on ac units on the roof. Nothing worse than opening a big hive, and having a little area to run and no place to hide. The government should replace water torture with this.

I keep my bottle of benadryl handy. :)
I work real hard at avoiding stinging bugs, only been hit twice in the last 5 years.

Anyway, after the laughed at me spraying their nest with wasp killer they got some gas mixed with 2 cycle dumped on them.
I checked this morning real quick and there doesn't appear to be activity. I will check again tomorrow but hope they are dead.

Pour a cup of Diesel fuel on the ground next to the hole. They'll be gone w/ in 24 hrs.

The reason they get mean this time of year: They eat (fermented) fallen fruit. Drunk bees are :msp_mad:ANGRY BEES!:msp_mad:

Pour a cup of Diesel fuel on the ground next to the hole. They'll be gone w/ in 24 hrs.

The reason they get mean this time of year: They eat (fermented) fallen fruit. Drunk bees are :msp_mad:ANGRY BEES!:msp_mad:

Makes sense to me...if I was hung over and had a stinger I could use at will, there's a loooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg! list of people I'd have to pay a visit to.:kilt::kilt:

i live in an old apple orchard. when we shovel apples in the loader, we shovel in the bees too. we rarely get stung. the bees are so consumed with the apples they dont seem to care when they get raked and scooped. when we first moved here i did get stung quite a few times.scooped 20 cu .yds last year and no stings. this year no apples to scoop at all.. my teenage son is very happy.lol

My best remedy for bee stings is tobacco (any kind) soaked in alcohol (or hand sanitizer, same stuff) and applied to the sting. Takes the pain away quickly.

I've used that a lot this summer. Yellow jackets have been bad this year.

Last summer I wanted to repaint all the shutters on the house since they had faded badly in the sun. At ground level, I took 3 of the 4 screws out holding the shutter up. Took out the last screw and the shutter of course dropped to the ground. I had no idea there was a nest behind the shutter, against the siding of the house. I saw the yellow jackets start flying and ran away faster then Usain Bolt.. I luckily didn't get stung at all one that one. I then wound up going around the entire house, throwing a tennis ball multiple times at every shutter first to make sure there was nothing else living behind any of the other shutters. Turns out I had 14 shutters to do and there was nests behind 6 of them. It took me a week+ to eliminate all the nests between spray, then pressure washer blasting them away from a distance, then more spray, and finally getting the courage up to go on a ladder 20' up to take those screws out. Not surprisingly, it was alot easier putting the newly painted shutters back up compared to taking down.

Last summer I wanted to repaint all the shutters on the house since they had faded badly in the sun. At ground level, I took 3 of the 4 screws out holding the shutter up. Took out the last screw and the shutter of course dropped to the ground. I had no idea there was a nest behind the shutter, against the siding of the house. I saw the yellow jackets start flying and ran away faster then Usain Bolt.. I luckily didn't get stung at all one that one. I then wound up going around the entire house, throwing a tennis ball multiple times at every shutter first to make sure there was nothing else living behind any of the other shutters. Turns out I had 14 shutters to do and there was nests behind 6 of them. It took me a week+ to eliminate all the nests between spray, then pressure washer blasting them away from a distance, then more spray, and finally getting the courage up to go on a ladder 20' up to take those screws out. Not surprisingly, it was alot easier putting the newly painted shutters back up compared to taking down.

They sometimes get behind vinyl siding as well.

The diesel trick works very well. Was first shown to me by a Vietnamse yard boy in Viet Nam, we found a nest in our steel rack, he took a can with about 2 cups of diesel in it, sat it near the nest and next day they were gone.

A few years ago I noticed yellow jackets coming and going from under the side at the corner of the house where the siding met the foundation, placed a 3 pound coffee can with a couple cups of diesel right under where they were coming an going, next day I had a 3 pound coffee can full of dead yellow jackets...a few years later I had need to be under the house back in that area and there is a nest, round like a basketball, that must be a least 18 to 20 inches in diameter hanging there, no bees just the nest, still there, if I could get out without destroying it, I understand there are worth money...

Try the diesel, it works...

i'd cover that diesel w/ some sort of wire mesh or hardware cloth or something though. wouldn't want a neighborhood dog/cat or even a squirrel, chipmunk, or rabbit drinking from it :(

Past two years we have had wasps nest in the house, one in the attic, one in the attic of the outhouse.

The attic one was left alone, no way was I crawling into a confined space to deal with it, nobody was bothered by them and was told by an old guy I know that if you leave the hive in place then it's unlikely you will get more. Goes along the lines of the newcomers thinkin the space is already taken.

Did have an underground Bumble bee hive this year near the wood shed, but left that alone, and cordoned it off to keep the kids away!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back