Top secret spy photo from Steve's place!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
attachment.php

:camera:

I started with the idea to rebuild Bubba, then rethought it, being as he's way overkill for 80% of what I do. I'll just keep him handy for that other 20% and build a quick little fuel sipping self contained splitter with this.

Right now, thinking 4x24 cylinder, the biggest pump whatever motor I can scrounge will spin, wedge on beam, torsion axle for highway towing, and log cradle/outfeed table.

Bubba will still eventually get a cherry picker mounted on him for the big rounds (I dislike log lifts, just more to trip over), and a lift kit.

This build might get done this winter, depending on what I can come by cheap (like this I beam, W8x40, 118" long - $42 outta the scrap pile at work - leftovers after they moved an overhead hoist to a different spot). If I wind up buying a bunch of new stuff, it'll take longer, cash for projects for the year is already pretty well budgeted to other stuff. You know how that is!

Steve's reserecting some contraption now! :hmm3grin2orange:

Not quite. This will be a complete build from scratch, not resurrecting anything. There will be some pieces, like the beam, that are just new to me, but it will be a new machine when I'm done. Heck, I'll even lifetime warranty it! (This is very easy to do if you're the builder and the owner of the machine)

Also, I don't make contraptions. All my stuff is highly redneck-engineered, which is far better than letting some geek in an office design it that doesn't know a log splitter from a lawn mower.

Not quite. This will be a complete build from scratch, not resurrecting anything. There will be some pieces, like the beam, that are just new to me, but it will be a new machine when I'm done. Heck, I'll even lifetime warranty it! (This is very easy to do if you're the builder and the owner of the machine)

Also, I don't make contraptions. All my stuff is highly redneck-engineered, which is far better than letting some geek in an office design it that doesn't know a log splitter from a lawn mower.

Right on Steve! Cheaper to make your own stuff then it is to buy it. Can't wait to see what it looks like when it is done!

"Work In Progress" pics please.

Steve, I'd consider the GX if I had more loose cash right now, got too many irons in the fire that all want my money at the moment. Although I might go look at a cheapo Murray rider with a Briggs 11.5 tomorrow, dude wants $85 and it runs and cuts. It'd lessen the beating the zero turn takes mowing the field roads for now, and maybe provide power to the splitter down the road.

I seem to recall some issues with a vertical shaft motor running a splitter pump. Was it just mounting bracket availability or is there more to it?

There will be full build pics when it happens (don't hold your breath, it's gonna be a while), as well as scrounge updates as they happen.

Steve, I'd consider the GX if I had more loose cash right now, got too many irons in the fire that all want my money at the moment. Although I might go look at a cheapo Murray rider with a Briggs 11.5 tomorrow, dude wants $85 and it runs and cuts. It'd lessen the beating the zero turn takes mowing the field roads for now, and maybe provide power to the splitter down the road.

I seem to recall some issues with a vertical shaft motor running a splitter pump. Was it just mounting bracket availability or is there more to it?

There will be full build pics when it happens (don't hold your breath, it's gonna be a while), as well as scrounge updates as they happen.

I've read on here that "homeowner splitters use vert. shaft engines, commercial units use horizontal". I don't remember whether the author of that statement explained it or not.

I've also been debating whether I want to upgrade my splitter for more speed, or just sell it & build what I want. A friend of mine gave it to me, so selling it might be awkward.
Check back w/ me when you're ready to move forward, I may have a GX 240/ 2 stage pump/ valve for sale.

The verticals are usually a lot cheaper, I think because they are made in much greater quantities. I don't know
about pump mounting. I've never seen one (aftermarket) for vertical shaft engines. I'm sure someone could
fab up an adapter to go between the vertical engine base and the horizontal engine pump mount.

One vertical engine splitter I looked at has a belt that runs from the engine pulley to the hydro pump pulley. The hydro pump was mounted up top like the engine, the pulleys ran underneath the mounting plate.

You could also use a lovejoy coupling and bolt the pump to a 1/4" plate mounting surface, on the underside of it. Then take the engine, and drop that right on top and bolt it down. You'd have to pay attention to the alignment though... can't be too far off or it'll eff up the coupling in no time.

Best way to do it is figure out where you want the engine, out of the way of the beam and everything, then set it there. Bolt the pump and its bracket up as close to the center of the crank. Obviously, you will want to drill the hole in the mounting plate for the coupling to fit through before you even bolt the pump on...

Then line up the engine to where it is properly centered over the pump and the coupling is lined up well, then mark and drill the holes. It wouldn't hurt to make them a tad on the large side for a little more adjustment in case you need it. Better to do that then rather than lift the dang engine off of the plate again.

Here's an example of the couplings you could use... http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_hydraulics+couplings+half-couplings

And the bracket to mount the hydro pump... http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200337124_200337124

There probably is somewhere else that you can get this stuff for less. Wouldn't hurt to do business locally.

Last edited:
can't be too far off or it'll eff up the coupling in no time.

I'm not sure you could come close to correct alignment by eyeball. L-type Lovejoy's have a parallel alignment tolerance
of .015" and angular tolerance of 1 degree. The machining tolerance on those engine-to-pump mounts is extremely tight.

Back