I want to put up a garage near some trees, ? about root system.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOE.G

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am thinking of putting up a garage off to the side of my property, I already put in a ditch to divert water from the hill, the garage will be built into a little bank, There is a horse fence there and right in front of it is a row of trees, A mix of hemlocks,pines,spruces and Hickory, There is are some maple's off to the side, There is a Apple tree right in the middle which I have to cut down, so the garage if I left the trees will be lined on the back and one side with trees.

Now My ? is Ill have to dig down about 4 foot in the back and dig less in the front to get it level with my Dway, How close can I dig the trees to try and not kill them, I would like to put them as close to the trees as I can, I may have to take the trees down if I can't keep them alive. The trees are all about 30 to 50 ft tall and not very wide at the bottom, all look fairly young.

Thanks

I have to get another cord for the camera to post the Pic's, I need to dig down about 4 ft, the trees are not on the slope but right in front of it. I am just wondering how close to the trees can I I know Ill be removing some of the roots no matter where I dig but would like to push it as far back as I can.

Wow, 1 Ft for every inch, The trees for the most part are under a foot in Diameter, i am not sure if Ill be able to stay that far away from them though, I may need to shorten that up a little bit., Now is that So they stay alive or don't fall over? Or Both?

Wow, 1 Ft for every inch, The trees for the most part are under a foot in Diameter, i am not sure if Ill be able to stay that far away from them though, I may need to shorten that up a little bit., Now is that So they stay alive or don't fall over? Or Both?

Both, and that is a rule of thumb. Generally speaking, the more roots you disturb, the more stress you place on the trees. Obviously! But, if you take measures such as proper root pruning, fertilization, irrigation, mulching and watching for secondary pest infestations you can often offset the stress and the trees can recover. That does not mean that you can go an cut four feet away from a one foot diameter tree that you aren't going to cause harm. You will! Would that same tree fall over? Probably not, but if it were a four foot diameter tree and you cut that close then we would be talking a different story. Plan on it failing in most cases.

So what is proper root pruning and what not? Are some the trees I listed stronger then others and have a better shot at recovery?

So what is proper root pruning and what not? Are some the trees I listed stronger then others and have a better shot at recovery?

Essentially proper root pruning is done with a hand saw or a chain saw versus a backhoe or bull dozer. Trenching short of the excavation cut with Airspade is preferable, next preference would be a wheel saw then a trencher. This sets the critical root zone which should then be fenced to prevent equipment from encroaching to eliminate compaction damage.

As far as sensitivity, IMO the hickory is the most at risk.

Latest posts

Back