Ramps to drive a stumper in the back of a truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattfr12

The Bulldog
Reaction score
Just like the title says I'd like to be able to load the small stumpers in the back of my truck or on the flat bed. It was part of my thinking on purchase the other grinders required a 18-20 foot trailer but these guys are only nine feet long and weigh less than 2k pounds. Any of you guys know where I can pick up a set of ramps long enough and sturdy enough to drive these bad boys in a truck bed. Not having to take a trailer would be the cats pajamas.

I have been skimming the web and have found tons. the reason for this thread is to see if you guys have found any that work particularly well because of the wheel base to height ratio of these machines.

It comes down to an issue of how long the ramps have to be to create an angle the stumpers can climb. Then there's the strength to weight ratio. Some members have added a carrier to the front of a truck that slides into a Reese receiver. Good luck, Matt.

I never loaded my stumper into the back of my truck, but i have loaded a mini skid loader with tires into my truck. I have loaded my stumper into the back of my dump trailer. I use 3" x 12" x 8' long oak planks with a steal lip on the one end to sit on the bed of the truck. The lips are just like the ones you buy to put on 2 x 8's. I am taking some red oak to the mill to get some new planks made for myself. If you want some i can have a few more milled. I even have a 12' long log, so if you want longer planks that would be no problem. You just gotta figure out shipping or pickup.

Im pretty close to you i think. Ive been to lancaster at least a handful of times throughout my life so far.

Wow didn't realize 4 hours i appreciate the offer for sure but we would probably save a bundle if i go that route to get them down here.

I got the idea of putting this thing in the back of my truck because of the guy hew bought the smaller 2250xp before i got mine. The dealer said you have to see this thing this other guy bought it to put it up in the back of his pickup truck. and it fit took up all the bed but was definitely possible.

so the 2450xp is the exact same dimensions just weights a little more i know its under 2k. i figured getting a stumper in the back of the truck that had that kind of motor would be a pretty awesome setup to try and keep an extra trailer off a job site. every night i have to go out and put out like a million parking cones for the next job, getting one less trailer there would be pretty sweet on how many cones i gotta carry around:)

Heres what i was thinking so far its about the best deal i have found right under 8 feet. my big question is tho do you think thats long enough I've found others out there making 10 footers which isn't to bad to haul with these metal guys because they fold in half.HDFA91 Heavy Duty ATV - Lawn Mower Ramps

Wow didn't realize 4 hours i appreciate the offer for sure but we would probably save a bundle if i go that route to get them down here.

I got the idea of putting this thing in the back of my truck because of the guy hew bought the smaller 2250xp before i got mine. The dealer said you have to see this thing this other guy bought it to put it up in the back of his pickup truck. and it fit took up all the bed but was definitely possible.

so the 2450xp is the exact same dimensions just weights a little more i know its under 2k. i figured getting a stumper in the back of the truck that had that kind of motor would be a pretty awesome setup to try and keep an extra trailer off a job site. every night i have to go out and put out like a million parking cones ifor the next job, getting one less trailer there would be pretty sweet on how many cones i gotta carry around:)

Heres what i was thinking so far its about the best deal i have found right under 8 feet. my big question is tho do you think thats long enough I've found others out there making 10 footers which isn't to bad to haul with these metal guys because they fold in half.HDFA91 Heavy Duty ATV - Lawn Mower Ramps
they may work or you may bend the crap outta them. I have the lighter weight ones and bent them without maxing them out to there weight rating.

Sometimes I get out that way near rays town, and when I do next time I could just bring those planks with me

they may work or you may bend the crap outta them. I have the lighter weight ones and bent them without maxing them out to there weight rating.

Sometimes I get out that way near rays town, and when I do next time I could just bring those planks with me

Ive busted a pair to, thats why i was going with the 3k ones they had the highest load rating i could find. Ill take a look around and see what kind of logs i can get from the local mills if i can pick something up like your talking about 3 by 12 ill grab two of them. i definitely appreciate the offer tho, if all else fails ill have to take you up on that.

what kind of weight do you think a 3 by 12 is good for on its side. only reason i ask is i have no idea. I've never used lumber for ramps before other than on a quad.

so the 2450xp is the exact same dimensions just weights a little more i know its under 2k. i figured getting a stumper in the back of the truck that had that kind of motor would be a pretty awesome setup to try and keep an extra trailer off a job site. every night i have to go out and put out like a million parking cones for the next job, getting one less trailer there would be pretty sweet on how many cones i gotta carry around:)

Those will bend, I have them and they suck.They are too light for equipment, more for ATV's. I have a set of steel ones, that fold also. They are rated for 1500lbs ea. I take ratchet straps, hook the carry handle and the chain loop on your hitch to pull them tight, so they don't slip out or move,they work awesome.

Last edited:
if your ever out this way you can stop down, once you come into the town of McDonald you can't miss us. the log piles can be seen across town.

Those will bend, I have them and they suck.They are to light for equipment, more for ATV's. I have a set of steel ones, that fold also. They are rated for 1500lbs ea. I take ratchet straps, hook the carry handle and the chain loop on your hitch to pull them tight, so they don't slip out or move,they work awesome.

Who did you pick the steel ones up off of?

If I get out that way, I will be sure to stop in. Can I play with the kboom?

I am guessing 3000 lbs plus. I will cut a couple extras and see if I can drive my big skid loader up them leaned against my wood pile.

If I get out that way, I will be sure to stop in. Can I play with the kboom?

I am guessing 3000 lbs plus. I will cut a couple extras and see if I can drive my big skid loader up them leaned against my wood pile.

Ya surprisingly enough lots of people stop down to play with the k-boom. say its a business trip then its all tax deductible. Seems like a lot of guys out of NY show interest in that truck. A few have made the trip down to see it. Posting videos on youtube lit my phone up like an xmas tree with that thing. i get a lot of calls about it usually questions i can't answer like if i have a 60foot oak tree will it lift a 10 foot piece. to many variables.

When you said larger skid loader it made me think of these pictures. we put the bri-mar to the test.

473d396e-5c20-e799.jpg
473d396e-5c48-0fb3.jpg

I just use my 6' dump trailer ramps to load my self propelled grinder onto my one-ton. Load my sk650 mini skid the same way. I just welded some flat iron at an angle onto the side of the flatbed to hood the ramps onto. I've done this dozens of times and never had an issue. wood ramps bend too much and get slippery when wet unless you drive fencing staples or something else into them to give your tires something to bite into. I'd just go with aluminum or steel ramps with expanded metal on top for some traction.

AP

Who did you pick the steel ones up off of?

Bought them at a garage sell for 20 bucks! I seen them at a Farm&Fleet (farmer store here in the Midwest) for like 150. I'll get a pic, sure they can be deconstructed and copied.

Its not a good to routinely attempt to get this kind of equipment up a set of ramps. One day you will regret it. If you are gonna try make sure to strap the ramps down so they don't fall off the tailgate. The end on the ground can move too.

I got aluminum jobs

My older little stumper only weighs about 700 lbs, so I bought a pair of pre-bent 1500 pounders from Fleet Farm here in MN. My 1625 Super Jr weighs 1000 lbs but has a weird 4 wheel set up a previous owner made up so I bought another set of the same ramps & bolted 2 sets together for 2 two ft by about 8 ft ramps that will (supposedly) take 3000 lbs. That being said, I have a bent ramp but no cracks yet. I routinely put the 1625 in that back of my pickup when I don't need to do a clean up, & when I do clean up, the stumper goes in the bed of the truck & I put the grindings in the dump trailer. They cost about $100.00 a pair plus 4 grade 8 1/4" bolts & fender washers to bolt them together. I do get wheel slip sometimes if the tires get wet or a severe angle when loading. I do have the little straps that attach to the bumper for off loading, haven't lost a machine yet but I may need to figure out a way to pin the ramps to the truck &/or the trailer pretty soon....

Good Luck!

Are you guys removing the tailgate when loading a 1000# stumper? I have thought about doing this before, but am nervous of the tailgate cables supporting that much weight.

Loading a stumper into a pickup

My pickup is a 1991 rust free chev with steel brackets to hold the tailgate, no issues with 1000# stumper. If she had a bunch of rust, then I would have to re-think for my situation.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back