What makes a Jonsered "turbo"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's put all that stuff on Sawtroll's scale and find out how much it weighs! :msp_w00t:

I have never put a saw on a scale, but I have done it with bars - so I guess I could do it with that as well. However, we all know it weights too much, so why bother....:msp_biggrin:

Turbo is just jonsereds name for huskys air injection system.

And I don't think they make a turbo charger small enough for a chainsaw

Of course, but they must have known it would lead to some confusion when they put the "Turbo" designation on the saws - stupid move imo, but History....

Turbochargers work off exhaust flow to stuff in more clean air. It's just a tough name. We had a kid who got a ticket for 145 in a 35 in Macon and got his license revoked. We called him, "Turbo Terry." He rode a bicycle 'cause he didn't have a rig.

I am a great Jonsered fan, though.

Turbochargers work off exhaust flow to stuff in more clean air. It's just a tough name. We had a kid who got a ticket for 145 in a 35 in Macon and got his license revoked. We called him, "Turbo Terry." He rode a bicycle 'cause he didn't have a rig.

I am a great Jonsered fan, though.

What size are Terry's legs? I don't know anyone that can go 145 mph on a bicycle. Sign that guy up for the olympics!:laugh:

the detroit 'green meanies' were two strokes, but whole different than saws,which are two cycle gasoline/spark ignited. DDA were diesel, oil in the crankcase, exhaust valves and cam on top, intake ports on the bottom of cylinders sort of like transfers on a saw. That required a positive Roots type blower to get air moving to start it, where a turbo would not work. The blower then pushed air in the bottom of cylinder and out the top, no fuel in the mix. Injected fuel near TDC for combustion.
Many of the later DDA had one or two exhaust driven turbos also.
In military and tank applicaitons, the engines were getting about 1 hp per cubic inch at 2500-3500 rpm. The 1957 injected vette at 1 hp/in3 was a really big deal. The DDA was getting that at one half the rpm's, for minutes or hours instead of seconds on the dyno, so was pretty awesome.

Big ship diesels (50,000 to 100,000 hp at maybe 100 to 250 rpm) still are pretty much the same principles, but the DDA two cycle is gone due to noise and pollution.

Exactly, also the Detroit 2-strokes, a.k.a screamin' jimmies, were considered "naturally aspirated" if only equipped with the roots style blower, only when a turbo was added were they considered to have forced induction. The blower made no "boost", just moved air. And nothing, and i mean , NOTHING, sounds like a 12v71 Detroit.....the buzzin' dozen

almost all the rail gang equipment (my industry) used 53 and 71 gmc in the old days. 2-3-4-6-8 cylinders.

16v71 was essentially two 8-71s designed and bolted front to rear. Used them in a gen set application. awesome WOT hp, but at light loads they slobbered fuel into the oil into the air boxes, outy the exhaust, everywhere. Didn't last long at light loads, but for sheer standby power they were good.

92 and 149's were awesome also. although they sounded a bit more 'normal'. Lots of those in the mining trucks.

The 71s sure liked to be wound the snot out when in trucks. older neighbor near my dads farm said the secret to driving the jimmy was first thing in the morning slam the door on your hand, then drive the rest of the day like you are still mad at it.

It's a lot better than "Ulticore". :dizzy:

What in the HECK is 'ULTICORE' anyway?? :confused:

Exactly, also the Detroit 2-strokes, a.k.a screamin' jimmies, were considered "naturally aspirated" if only equipped with the roots style blower, only when a turbo was added were they considered to have forced induction. The blower made no "boost", just moved air. And nothing, and i mean , NOTHING, sounds like a 12v71 Detroit.....the buzzin' dozen

almost all the rail gang equipment (my industry) used 53 and 71 gmc in the old days. 2-3-4-6-8 cylinders.

16v71 was essentially two 8-71s designed and bolted front to rear. Used them in a gen set application. awesome WOT hp, but at light loads they slobbered fuel into the oil into the air boxes, outy the exhaust, everywhere. Didn't last long at light loads, but for sheer standby power they were good.

92 and 149's were awesome also. although they sounded a bit more 'normal'. Lots of those in the mining trucks.

The 71s sure liked to be wound the snot out when in trucks. older neighbor near my dads farm said the secret to driving the jimmy was first thing in the morning slam the door on your hand, then drive the rest of the day like you are still mad at it.

We have a 4cyl Detroit with a roots in a Crane... WOW, you KNOW when that thing is coming up the hill!! The wrecking yard 20 min from here has one in a Hough loader as well....

:rock:

What in the HECK is 'ULTICORE' anyway??

I think "Ulticore" is Jonsered's designation for their Pro level saws. Pretty sure it translates to "XP" from Husqvarna on equivalent saws.

And let's not forget, the old 2-stroke Detroits had a odd habit of starting and running backwards. I had heard of this, and thought it was B.S.....until i witnessed one do it. It ran pretty well, ....it was funny to see the driver put it in 1st, let the clutch out, and go backwards..The look of W.T.F, on his face was priceless. I think he tried 3-4 times, before he realized that he was mot selecting reverse

What in the HECK is 'ULTICORE' anyway??

I think "Ulticore" is Jonsered's designation for their Pro level saws. Pretty sure it translates to "XP" from Husqvarna on equivalent saws.

Not exactly, as it also is used on other Jonsereds with mag cases, that isn't the red version of a Husky xp - like the 2152, 2159, 2252 and 2258. :msp_wink:

For those that enjoy the sound of a two-stroke diesel:

[video=youtube;zen6JvBI1r0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zen6JvBI1r0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Back