Gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I the only one who refuses to wear gloves when doing firewood? I just find them too cumbersome. The occasional splinter every now and then is worth the extra dexterity to me.

Hello,
I have been buying a 3-pack of leather gloves at COSTCO for around $18. They are a name brand but I can't remember what !!!!! They seem to hold up pretty good, but still get holes in the fingers after a while !!!!!

Henry and Wanda

I think the jury is in, and they're correct. Atlas gloves are the best firewood gloves I've used as well. First used em at work, handling oily steel, hated em for that, loved em when I brought a pair home and used em for wood.

Trust me on this one, get the Atlas brand gloves. There's Atlas and then there's everything else. I've tried a bunch of similar box store ones, and they're nowhere near as good. Where to get em? Sponsor Sherrilltree has em, http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Gloves/Tree-Climbing-and-Tool-Handling-Glove and they can be found locally in many hardware stores at prices within a buck either way of what Sherrill sells em for, depending on sales, etc.

The Atlas "Thermal Fit" winter gloves work good down to about 20° F, below that I switch to lined leather gloves.

Only when it is cold. Or it is pine, to keep the pitch off the saw handle.

Same here. I wear leather gloves to do barbed wire or clearing multiflora (you need armor for multilora..), or if it is real cold, besides that, no gloves..wait one more, working with wood around poison ivy. Cheap cotton gloves that can go into the wash.

Although I do want to get some legitmate chainsaw gloves though.

Hello,
I have been buying a 3-pack of leather gloves at COSTCO for around $18. They are a name brand but I can't remember what !!!!! They seem to hold up pretty good, but still get holes in the fingers after a while !!!!!

Henry and Wanda

512p3ToLhAL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Those are Wells Lamont gloves. I buy them too and when I see the thumb and middle finger start to wear through, I just do a couple of wraps of nice yellow duct tape around them. Keeps 'em going for quite a bit.

This summer I started picking up the no name cotton / rubber palm gloves from Lowes (5 pr. @ $5.00). Got stacks of those all over the place.

Mike

Last edited:
I use the youngstown gloves from Baileys (or other places). I can usually get two picker loads of cutting, splitting, and stacking from one pair. I think they are about $18 on sale.

Does anyone have a secret pair of gloves that last with firewood? I feel like I am always buying gloves. I can wear out the right one in less than a month. I have tried buying cheap ones and even spent $26 on a really nice pair. But the right one still wore out. I am looking for tricks to make them last longer, or where do I get some that are economical?

Wow, I wish I could get close enough to a month to be able to say "less than a month. I'm at about a week. :laugh:

Andy

The only work-style gloves I find comfortable are Kincos. Can only get them at Work 'n Gear around here, so have to remember to buy them when I'm around one (most of the stores are an hour drive away). Other good ol' standbys like Wells Lamot I noticed sometime in the early 2000s just didn't fit my hands right anymore -- the Chinese probably figured American XL hands couldn't possibly be actually that big, we can make smaller, sell cheaper.

Seems that I go through two sets of uninsulated and two sets of insulated a year, eighteen months.

Work 'n Gear also has some made-in-Pakistan goat leather gloves that look a bit like the Mechanic's Gloves...I love those too. They don't hold up well for heavy work, but I love them for firewooding even when they have small holes worn in the fingertips and such. Seen ones that look like them at Walmart, but never in my size :mad:

Guess when you average it out, I'm spending about $5/month on gloves. Hurts when I drop $50 or $60 in a shot on gloves for the year though.

I will try some atlas gloves and see how I like them.

I've had a good run this year on the same pair of White Ox brand from included on a order from Bailey's. They just wore thru the first layer a couple weeks back now I see how long it takes to wear a hole thru the next layer. I like the way the fit-slightly loose on the fingers and the cuff keeps the insides fairly clean of all the debris firewood sheds. USA made too so that's another bonus!

If you don't wear gloves, you don't have to buy them. Your skin grows back. I most certainly do not have feminine hands.

On another note, from a health care standpoint, do you really want your gloves lasting too long? There is a nasty microbial soup growing in there that is waiting to infect any break in skin integrity. The various staph and whatever other bacteria, (think gut) you have are living in a perfect incubator. You will have more cuts get infected and they will take longer to heal if you wear them. All you have to do is smell them, enough said.

I am not a germophobe, most people will benefit from a constant challenge to their immune system, it makes you stronger. I just want my skin to heal faster.

I will make exceptions very cold, the risk to your digits to cold and numbness outweighs the bacterial nastiness.

I realize most will not give up their gloves, just saying what I think.

Dan

Last edited:
I use Bison gloves and reinforce with Gorilla tape. This has worked really well extending the life of the gloves. Initially the gloves are stiff where you put the tape. It does not take too long to break the tape in.

XTROOPER

Does anyone have a secret pair of gloves that last with firewood? I feel like I am always buying gloves. I can wear out the right one in less than a month. I have tried buying cheap ones and even spent $26 on a really nice pair. But the right one still wore out. I am looking for tricks to make them last longer, or where do I get some that are economical?

Hey, I got a couple hundred lefthand gloves. Make you a bundle deal.

here are the gloves i use from lowes. 3 pairs for $5. i don't need a whole lot of dexterity when splitting or stacking. i don't wear gloves if i'm just splitting a few big rounds, but if i run into a log that doesn't split after the first 4 or 5 shots, then my hands start to ring a bit from the vibration. the leather absorbs a good bit of that...

Shop Blue Hawk 3-Pack Large Men's Leather Work Gloves at Lowes.com

Latex coated gloves from Home Depot

I have used the blue latex coated gloves just recently. Not Atlas brand, but the same thing. I thought they would wear better, but I was wrong. I bought 3 pairs, and went through each pair in about 3-4 days of cutting. Same as every other pair that I have used, they wear out in the same places. Where they do shine is while cutting with the saw. They are not as thick, and they are very "grippy." They give you a good feel for the saw and the throttle, unlike the cowhide gloves which are thicker. I think I will continue to wear the latex gloves when I cut, and then switch to the cowhide when I split and stack. They do get your hands sweaty and hot in the warmer temps.

I have the best luck if you could call it that with the cheap $2 pairs. And mine look just like the ones posted above wearing out. :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back