Echo saws kinda lame

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I deal with lots of saws. The casting on this particular one was not up to the standards that I would call quality. It was oversized for sure. I don't have time to take pictures of every saw that comes through the door. I wasn't impressed with THE BUILD of the saw. I never knocked performance or handling, I didn't run it. It's ok, I understand this chainsaw stuff is quite the serious bizness around here like politics, and like politics everyone should take a personal opinion to be a statement of fact and attack it from all angles.

tk, don't get me wrong, i'm not the biggest echo fan out there, but i have to give credit where credit is due.
every single echo i have been through has had nothing but the best of quality where the castings are concerned. they have always been right up there with the top 2 manufacturers and not one have i seen anything that would give me the reason to think that these are cheaply made units.
as for the 4400, i have had stronger pulling sub 40cc saws. even after a muffler mod. the cs400 is just flat out the strongest 40-ishcc saw out there period--after a proper muff mod.
saying the 4400 is (or about) the size of a 70ishcc saw is just flat not even close. come on. anybody that has held one of these in their hands can tell the difference. it's about the same size than any other 40ish cc saw out there. lighter than most. is the a.v any better than the rest? it isn't the greatest, but it is better then some.

tk, don't get me wrong, i'm not the biggest echo fan out there, but i have to give credit where credit is due.
every single echo i have been through has had nothing but the best of quality where the castings are concerned. they have always been right up there with the top 2 manufacturers and not one have i seen anything that would give me the reason to think that these are cheaply made units.
as for the 4400, i have had stronger pulling sub 40cc saws. even after a muffler mod. the cs400 is just flat out the strongest 40-ishcc saw out there period--after a proper muff mod.
saying the 4400 is (or about) the size of a 70ishcc saw is just flat not even close. come on. anybody that has held one of these in their hands can tell the difference. it's about the same size than any other 40ish cc saw out there. lighter than most. is the a.v any better than the rest? it isn't the greatest, but it is better then some.

I was just saying the one that came through my door was less than impressive, that is all. It could have all been relative to what other equipment I had handled that day. My first impression that the saw was larger, and poorly engineered. I didn't like the casting, it seemed coarse to the touch, not the smooth clean casting on the fins that I normally see. All I can do is give my impression of the saw from my point of view. I didn't mean to say the overall quality of the entire saw was poor, just the casting. The engineering may have been poor, but that doesn't relate to product quality. It just makes it more difficult to work on than others.

You are giving usage experience and clearly have handled the saw far more extensively than I have. I just didn't like it, and that was my opinion. I don't wish to go back and forth on it, I just didn't like it for the time it was here. I'd need further experience with it to change my opinion.

I was just saying the one that came through my door was less than impressive, that is all. It could have all been relative to what other equipment I had handled that day. My first impression that the saw was larger, and poorly engineered. I didn't like the casting, it seemed coarse to the touch, not the smooth clean casting on the fins that I normally see. All I can do is give my impression of the saw from my point of view. I didn't mean to say the overall quality of the entire saw was poor, just the casting. The engineering may have been poor, but that doesn't relate to product quality. It just makes it more difficult to work on than others.

You are giving usage experience and clearly have handled the saw far more extensively than I have. I just didn't like it, and that was my opinion. I don't wish to go back and forth on it, I just didn't like it for the time it was here. I'd need further experience with it to change my opinion.

you have to realize, a rougher surface on the outside of a cylinder is better for cooling. more surface area so to speak. and is never even brought up when talking about casting quality. the fit of the casting, mold lines, centering and shape is. and you did comment on the build of the saw.

lets just put it this way...echo is making people consider them again after a 15 year hiatus because they are returning to quality units. the tree guys i deal with don't care color or name or anything they want a good reliable WORK saw. that doesn't mean comparing specs on a forum in a pissing contest. No the echos are not the most powerful stock but these guys are working not racing. they start everytime and run great. if husky and stihl can't compete at the same price range then shame on them. its a sad day in the saw industry then. some of you guys act like they are the only two brands that exist. if you guys get so riled up over a good solid saw manufacturer encroaching on your sacred brands, then maybe you should contact your favorite one and tell them to up the ante on WORK saws...

i'll say it again not ashamed to be an echo lover...or any good running saw lover. in the end we all wind up at 6ft anyways

That's the key right there. I don't believe there's a single one of the new models from CS-310 to the CS-600P that isn't pretty impressive. The models Echo has released in the last 3 years prove that Echo is taking long strides in the right direction. Considering this, I can't wait to see what Echo has in the works for 65, 70 & 80cc saws.

And, as far as I know, the 361 is a full 2lbs heavier than the CS-500P. I'm not even sure why the two saws came up as a comparison - they're not.

Im not really a brand basher,cause I like all saws.But I was looking at Echoes website and their own videos make the saws look like turds.Look really slow cutting.Ive only owned 1 echo saw,a 670.I thought it was slow and heavy.I will continuwe to avoid Echo,since it seems they aint got no better

I agree. Kinda lame get a Huskee or a Stihl and be done with it. That is the old Echo's now, but might as well let 'em be broke and buy German or Swedesh.

That's the key right there. I don't believe there's a single one of the new models from CS-310 to the CS-600P that isn't pretty impressive. The models Echo has released in the last 3 years prove that Echo is taking long strides in the right direction. Considering this, I can't wait to see what Echo has in the works for 65, 70 & 80cc saws.

And, as far as I know, the 361 is a full 2lbs heavier than the CS-500P. I'm not even sure why the two saws came up as a comparison - they're not.

I won't even responds to TK bs any more, when Echo came out with the CS510 maybe 10 years ago they were on par with any 50 cc saw to date, maybe the Husky 550 might be better but time will tell on how it compares to both muff modded and tuned good with the right chain for both.. Steve

I got a "lame" CS530 Echo. Sure has cut a lot of wood for me. Echo's standard air filtration is on par with Huskys heavy duty air filtration, at least on the Husky saws you can get HD air filtration. Huskys 346 air filtration pales in comparison to the CS530 automotive style. The little wire clamp can only get so tight on the 346 air filter, but you can torque the 530 's filter down to beat the band. Many of ya praise their trimmers but dog their saws, your fxxxxxg parroting something you heard from somebody that heard and so on. Get a grip, get a clue, Echo is hear to play, and work!

Last time I saw a thread locked on this Forum was about five years ago. Somebody said that chain saw parts were like females. You have to treat them with TLC or they either quit working or snap at you.
:msp_rolleyes:

LOL... I can't wait to meet you in Iowa Ed...
You're a hoot...

OP, let's go trolling what kind of motor do you recommend ?

Last edited:
Hedgegrow,

You got me, I 'll have too check those motor's out.

Question, is Johnson or Evinrude still in buisness?

>>Edit<<

Lets just bury these damn brand name threads, they do no good as far as I can tell and just get people upset at eachother.

If I discounted brands by the bad saws I have owned or operated the list would include Husqavarna, Stihl, Dolmar, Redmax. McCulloch, Efco, Echo, Solo, Polan,Homelite, jonesred and etc.

The important part is that we have access to an entire group of people from across the world that enjoy chainsaws and cutting and exchange such knowledge.

Thats all I have and I'm out of this thread.

Have a good Holiday weekend .

Last edited:
Hedgegrow,

You got me, I 'll have too check those motor's out.

Question, is Johnson or Evinrude still in buisness?

Sorry I've been away for awhile.

Hahahahahahahaha!!!! Yes, but as far as trolling motors, it's pretty much minn Kota or motorguide... Those 2 are sold under many names...
:msp_wink:
I soooo need to get the boat out more...

Hahahahahahahaha!!!! Yes, but as far as trolling motors, it's pretty much minn Kota or motorguide... Those 2 are sold under many names...
:msp_wink:
I soooo need to get the boat out more...

I know what your saying, I have two young children that have never seen the boat out of the garage time flies so fast.Now that I'm back we have been doing alot of camping and getting the boat out would be great.

Have a good weekend Hedgerow!

The only Echo i have in my collection is a CST 610 EVL and only because of it's unique boxer twin engine configuration.

Back