Looking for wood furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowa

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a wood furnace soon. I currently have a Longwood. It works great. Just looking for something that's more efficient and safe.

Some things I need.

Heat 3000sq ft.
Auto dampner
10hr burn times.
Be able to hook up to my existing duct work.

I have a through the wall flue. It is 6" double wall. I have a walk out basement.

Thanks!

I'm sure you would want to check out the several mfg's that are sponsors of AS. Some good stuff there....

I'm looking to purchase a wood furnace soon. I currently have a Longwood. It works great. Just looking for something that's more efficient and safe.

Some things I need.

Heat 3000sq ft.
Auto dampner
10hr burn times.

I have a through the wall flue. It is 6" double wall. I have a walk out basement.

Thanks!

Check out lamppakuuma.com I put one in my house last fall and can't believe what an awesome furnace it is! I get 12 hour burns with NO creosote! Bought another one for my shop that will be done in October. If you have any questions let me know!

Some things I need.

Heat 3000sq ft.
Auto dampner
10hr burn times.

Thanks!

If you want the best it's the Kuuma Vapor-Fire 100 and we have been waiting for you for to make one of the best decisions possible for a long time. The sooner you decide the better because we are over a month behind on furnaces with the skyrocketing demand!!

The biggest difference from the Kuuma Vapor-Fire 100 and 200 to any other hot air woodburning furnace is that the Vapor-Fires are true gasification furnaces, while others aren't. With emissions as low as .01 gr/mj or less than 1 gr/hr. and combustion efficiencies of 99%, you know for a fact that gasification is taking place. Also, at the same time, smokeless burns are taking place and further demonstrate gasification. Remember this, when there is no smoke, there is also no creosote.

I'm also looking at the Charmaster Chalet. Can the Vaporfire be used to heat my hot water? I like that the Chalet will heat my water. Tired of my electric hot water heater. Our hot water demand is getting greater and the electric water heater is always behind..

Yes, we sell an optional H2O coil (+$200) that that works great for domestic water. My dad's electric bill actually goes down in the winter when it's running.

Is there any worry of over heating the tank, or coil when hot h2o is not in use? Does the pop off, pop off routinely to keep pressure down?
There's no worries because it circulates the whole tank. It's in motion whenever the furnace is heating. It's designed to be a helper, and not total heat, that way you don't have to worry about the popoff going off.

Hey guy's, Quick question in the hot water schematics for the tempering tank. The drawings you gave me said 30-50 gal tempering tank. Can the tempering tank be an 80 gal? Or is that to big to have the vapor fire keep up with. That would be OK because the hot H20 just goes to the top of the tank anyways. You still get the same amount of hot H20 because this is designed as a helper and a total H20 heater. We don't want it to boil the water.

I don't want to start putting down other manufactures because many make quality products here in the US. However with the Charmaster design their theory is to form a big bed of charcoal throughout the whole fire box and that's the worst thing you can do when burning wood because when you get down to the coals there's no heat left and you have all of the coals to deal with. Our furnace goes through the 3 stages of burning wood, which are the gases, cellulose and then coals as it moves backwards and you don't have all the coals in the way when you want to refire. We still have coals for 15 hrs. for refiring without lighting a match.

Sounds GREAT!!! If I ordered in the next week, how soon would it take to get one here in Southern Missoura?

Sounds GREAT!!! If I ordered in the next week, how soon would it take to get one here in Southern Missoura?

I think it would be late October or very early November. Give my dad a call at the shop to confirm or shoot us an e-mail because he usually looks them over every night.

Iowa. I have been looking at furnaces for a long time and went with the Vaporfire.. Smaller pieces of wood, longer but times, and no smoke = no chimney fire (just vapor ). If I am not mistaken I believe that it is the most efficient furnace on the market. The 200 takes 17 inch pieces of wood which helps the back out a little bit... A furnace like the Englander is not even on the same planet as a Kumma...

Iowa. I have been looking at furnaces for a long time and went with the Vaporfire.. Smaller pieces of wood, longer but times, and no smoke = no chimney fire (just vapor ). If I am not mistaken I believe that it is the most efficient furnace on the market. The 200 takes 17 inch pieces of wood which helps the back out a little bit... A furnace like the Englander is not even on the same planet as a Kumma...

If I am not mistaken I believe that it is the most efficient furnace on the market. As far as we are aware and we even post the actual test results on our website, which I haven't seen from ANY other manufacturer's who claim high efficiency.

A furnace like the Englander is not even on the same planet as a Kumma...
You are completely correct and I might even go as far to say solar system. It's like comparing a new car to a bicycle where they both get you places, but just completely different...

Hey Iowa, If you can stand another recommendation we manufacture the Caddy EPA line of wood furnace.

3,000 Sq Ft is quite a large house. Make sure any furnace you buy has the blower able to handle it and your duct system is balanced properly. As you know wood does not burn like oil or gas at peak BTU all the time.

The Max Caddy http://www.psg-distribution.com/product.aspx?CategoId=26&Id=563&Page=description can handle 3,000 sq ft and like the Kuuma does not have any smoke or creosote issues since it re-burns the smoke.

Some of the benefits are about 140,000 Max output BTU (on high Fire) or a better way to figure it out about 90,000 average BTU over the life of the fire. Customers have claimed fires up to 18 hours but typically you are looking into the 8Hrs to 12Hrs range depending on your house BTU load. BTW, what do you heat with now and what is the BTU rating of your current furnace?

The blower is a multi speed self adjusting blower that tries to keep the temperature in the plenum constant. That's why we can claim efficiencies of 82% for such a large furnace. The self adjusting blower ensures the fire box doesn't cool too fast on start-up and end-of-fire thus ensuring no smoke condensation (creosote) will occur.

As options, you can add an oil burner, electric elements or both! You can also bring your cold air return on the right, left or top. Good if you're in a tight installation. There is also an optional hot water loop to pre-heat your domestic water. It is also AC ready and has an entire electronic board to control all those features.

This is a favorite with the Amish folks in the Mid-West.

If you want a rough estimate of cost PM me and i'll find a good dealer in your area.

I currently have been using a Longwood furnace. It keeps our house plenty warm. It's just inefficient and eats a lot of wood.

I called Lampa when I got home from work today. I will be ordering one once I get my shipping quote tomorrow. I sure hope winter don't come early. He said early Nov is estimated ETA! Gonna cut it close.

I was going to recommend the Max Caddy also. I'm sure it's one of the largest clean burning furnaces on the market. I think the Kuuma has a good design, but not sure if it's large enough for your home. I understand where Kuuma explains the btu loads of a home, but we have a 2400 sqft Victorian with 10' ceilings and 42 windows. Well insulated but a little drafty and at 0 degrees with an indoor temp of 72 our load comes at around 75,000 btus an hour to heat. Our home has the cubic footage of a 3000 sqft home with 8' ceilings. I've read your threads where you have -20 degree winters and heavy winds. Your heating load has to be more than ours so a larger furnace might be needed. Our caddy does burn clean, and much longer than our old furnace. Where we would remove buckets of creosote from the chimney with the old, the new we remove under a quart of stuff from the chimney.

I was going to recommend the Max Caddy also. I'm sure it's one of the largest clean burning furnaces on the market. I think the Kuuma has a good design, but not sure if it's large enough for your home. I understand where Kuuma explains the btu loads of a home, but we have a 2400 sqft Victorian with 10' ceilings and 42 windows. Well insulated but a little drafty and at 0 degrees with an indoor temp of 72 our load comes at around 75,000 btus an hour to heat. Our home has the cubic footage of a 3000 sqft home with 8' ceilings. I've read your threads where you have -20 degree winters and heavy winds. Your heating load has to be more than ours so a larger furnace might be needed. Our caddy does burn clean, and much longer than our old furnace. Where we would remove buckets of creosote from the chimney with the old, the new we remove under a quart of stuff from the chimney.

I don't know about -20 degree weather here. But in southern Missouri its very mild winters. I have a well insulated home built in 2004. I think the vaporfire 100 will be plenty of heat for my home.

Known for the Cold
Embarrass has vied for the title of “Coldest Place in the Nation” in a rivalry with International Falls, MN. The all-time unofficial low temperature for Embarrass was -64ºF on February 2, 1996. Coming in as the second coldest day in the town, the temperature reached -54ºF on January 17, 2005. It is also said that it can frost in Embarrass at any time of the year, since it is in such a low-lying area amid the Mesabi and Vermilion ranges.

This is 5 minutes from Tower, MN where we are located so I wouldn't be to worried about the Kuuma not having enough pop. The first thing I ever do when going to my parents house (Good size over 3,000 sq ft including the finished basement and vaulted ceilings upstairs) for winter family gatherings is remove a few layers of clothes and my dad was know by all my friends growing up as whitey tighty, because that's what they would catch him in half the time when they came over no matter the time of year.

I don't know about -20 degree weather here. But in southern Missouri its very mild winters. I have a well insulated home built in 2004. I think the vaporfire 100 will be plenty of heat for my home.

Okay... but above all you may want to focus not so much on the size of the firebox but rather your duct work. Your large 3000 Sq ft home means you have a fair amount of duct work. If you have an HVAC guy you trust he may be able to do the calculation to see what kind of CFM you need to push the heat and properly balance the system.

Yeah, you'll be fine. I was thinking you had an older home. You just had a oversized inefficient wood furnace. You will probably cut your consumption by more than a third.

Okay... but above all you may want to focus not so much on the size of the firebox but rather your duct work. Your large 3000 Sq ft home means you have a fair amount of duct work. If you have an HVAC guy you trust he may be able to do the calculation to see what kind of CFM you need to push the heat and properly balance the system.

+1 on that. Even though my furnace room is fairly big, the design and layout of my duct work and flue definitely figured into what furnaces I could even consider. Oh, and even though the Yukon multifuel furnace I went with, lined up pretty well with my existing furnaces connections, I found out if you have to get any amount of custom duct made...surprise! Big $$$ :msp_ohmy: Just something to keep in mind with your final decision if total install price is in the equation at all.....Gotta say though, the "autopilot" system on that LK V-fire is very intriguing! Enjoy your new furnace, I'm sure you'll be nice and toasty and save some wood compared to before, whatever you choose. Don't forget...pics please :msp_thumbup:

+1 on that. Even though my furnace room is fairly big, the design and layout of my duct work and flue definitely figured into what furnaces I could even consider. Oh, and even though the Yukon multifuel furnace I went with, lined up pretty well with my existing furnaces connections, I found out if you have to get any amount of custom duct made...surprise! Big $$$ :msp_ohmy: Just something to keep in mind with your final decision if total install price is in the equation at all.....Gotta say though, the "autopilot" system on that LK V-fire is very intriguing! Enjoy your new furnace, I'm sure you'll be nice and toasty and save some wood compared to before, whatever you choose. Don't forget...pics please :msp_thumbup:

Oh.. I won't forget pics!

And my dads old boss is a heating and ac guy! So I've already contacted him about hooking up the duct work!

Back