What lathe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad, just me, but I always machine enough off to run a gasket. I feel better with a gasket in there.

Will, I'm usually of the same opinion, but I think Brad made the right call here to get where he wanted to be. If you look at the pics you can see the base is getting quite thin under the pocketed base bolts. Anther .02-.025" to get the gasket in there and it may have weakened the base enough to cause problems. I would assume Husqvarna is using paper gaskets on these saws, which due to the compressibility of paper would possibly lead to cracking of the cylinder base.

Brad, just me, but I always machine enough off to run a gasket. I feel better with a gasket in there.

You need some base gaskets Will?????? I have several dozen Stihl base gaskets I was fixing to throw away. :msp_sneaky:

Will, I'm usually of the same opinion, but I think Brad made the right call here to get where he wanted to be. If you look at the pics you can see the base is getting quite thin under the pocketed base bolts. Anther .02-.025" to get the gasket in there and it may have weakened the base enough to cause problems. I would assume Husqvarna is using paper gaskets on these saws, which due to the compressibility of paper would possibly lead to cracking of the cylinder base.

And that's exactly why I've gotten in the habit of deleting the gasket. On certain saws another .016" is worrisome......especially after taking .050 or so. The 395XP is one and many early Stihls have real thin bases.

Will, I'm usually of the same opinion, but I think Brad made the right call here to get where he wanted to be. If you look at the pics you can see the base is getting quite thin under the pocketed base bolts. Anther .02-.025" to get the gasket in there and it may have weakened the base enough to cause 2007 Crownline 240 EXproblems. I would assume Husqvarna is using paper gaskets on these saws, which due to the compressibility of paper would possibly lead to cracking of the cylinder base.

Never had a problem yet. I don't think many do, it's not something I typically hear about. I'll keep using a gasket. Typically it's less then .020" to add a gasket. 395's have a pretty thick base. 372's are much thinner, and I've never had a problem with them either.

You need some base gaskets Will?????? I have several dozen Stihl base gaskets I was fixing to throw away. :msp_sneaky:

And that's exactly why I've gotten in the habit of deleting the gasket. On certain saws another .016" is worrisome......especially after taking .050 or so. The 395XP is one and many early Stihls have real thin bases.

Sure send em, over.

Easy enough to make a bull nose to mount between a standard center and the part.

I made one from scrap. Just had to buy 2 bearings. CS crank bearings would work. I use mine most for starting threads straight with a die and a die holder...Bob

185 to 190 is more than enough for a saw that actually does get worked on a daily basis. im not talking about an occasional use firewood saw that sees a few hrs at a time every couple of weeks or months. im talking about saws that see all day tree tipping 5-6 days a week 52 weeks a year,you know ,a saw that lives up to the worksaw name. i think if you have one over 200 psi it will live a much shorter life. compression makes heat and causes more wear. when your running a saw all day long in extended long hard cuts that heat can add up to the demise of a saw.this is just my opinion on the matter and in no way means that others are wrong. im just telling it from my point of experience.

185 to 190 is more than enough for a saw that actually does get worked on a daily basis. im not talking about an occasional use firewood saw that sees a few hrs at a time every couple of weeks or months. im talking about saws that see all day tree tipping 5-6 days a week 52 weeks a year,you know ,a saw that lives up to the worksaw name. i think if you have one over 200 psi it will live a much shorter life. compression makes heat and causes more wear. when your running a saw all day long in extended long hard cuts that heat can add up to the demise of a saw.this is just my opinion on the matter and in no way means that others are wrong. im just telling it from my point of experience.

I agree, 190 would be the max I'd want in a true everyday work saw.

Latest posts

Back