Black Widows?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These fence lizards will take care of the woodpile spiders.
attachment.php
I have wanted to get some eastern fence lizards re-established here, but had no luck in finding any. I don't know if they'd survive, as I don't know what drove them out. I suspect cats might be the problem. There is some evidence that an enzyme in the blood of the western fence lizard may kill the lyme spirochete and sterilize the ticks that bite them.

I have wanted to get some eastern fence lizards re-established here, but had no luck in finding any. I don't know if they'd survive, as I don't know what drove them out. I suspect cats might be the problem. There is some evidence that an enzyme in the blood of the western fence lizard may kill the lyme spirochete and sterilize the ticks that bite them.

That's interesting. These little fellers just showed up in the pile one day.
attachment.php

Spray with Tempo SC Ultra, from your local farm supply store.

I'm not trying to start a big argument about what is better or best. You should use what you think works.
Tempo is good stuff. Used it for a while and had pretty decent results. I think there is something better though.
A few years ago I had BAD scorpion and spider problems inside and out. At the same time I had small children. After much research I settled on using Talstar. Kills just about any insect.... fast. Safe to spray inside. According to the instrucitons it can even be used in commercial kitchens as long as the food is covered but I wouldn't do it. It also has a very good residual!
The patent is up on it so you can get it fairly cheap. The active ingredient is Bifenthrin. One knock off is Bifen. There are others. Fairly easy to find online.

Yikes! That reminds me. I've got a large spider that looks like him in a scrap box out in the shop.

I'm not trying to start a big argument about what is better or best. You should use what you think works.

I agree. Every situation is different. We've had good luck with Tempo, that's why I suggested it.

Got a link on the Lyme info?

I despise black widders. One nailed my brother when we were kids, it made him really sick.

For some reason we haven't seen a single one this year. Tore down a dilapidated shed, or what was left of it this summer. I expected to see widders hiding under boards but no soap.

There are lizards bivouacing in the wood stacks, though. They may be keeping the spiders away, haven't seen any web nests in there.

Good topic, I as well have been seeing way to many black widows for my liking this year. Seems like the crickets are crazy this year, not sure if that is giving the spiders more food than usual but I have seen more spiders this year than ever before, I hope we get a cold winter to kill them.

Good topic, I as well have been seeing way to many black widows for my liking this year. Seems like the crickets are crazy this year, not sure if that is giving the spiders more food than usual but I have seen more spiders this year than ever before, I hope we get a cold winter to kill them.

Yeah me too!

Me three on the crickets here in MD, in fact I have killed 2 baby copper heads in my grass (thick crabgrass) were there was and abundance of crickets. As far as the Black Widows I have always had alot around my yard, just have to adapt by making sure gloves are always used when handling wood and doing yard work. They are not fast movers/runners just need to watch where you put your hands. Especialy make sure your youngins know how to flip rocks and logs over while diggin for worms, and why they need to becarful doing so. I have always made it a point to show my son a black widow or copper head before desposing of them so that he is very familiar with them and know to keep his distance.
I whish I had pictures but if you think a black widow is bad google Mouse spider, this is what I found last year while clearing a area for a new wood pile, it was the one that is all black with large fangs. (gloves may not work on these things)

I got bit this summer while getting out of the truck to go cut. I felt a sting like a wasp sting, and quickly brushed my leg. I did not see what kind of spider it was, but it took forever to heal. The center of the bite turned black and necrotic, and there was no feeling if you poked something into the hole. The surrounding area was red and swollen. I asked an instructor at school (nursing) and she said most complications either come from direct anaphylaxis to the venom, or from the secondary infection. Think about it, the skin is dead and there is nothing to prevent beta hemolytic (hemolytic means the germs can feed off of destroyed red blood cells) bacteria from infecting the area.

A septic infection can kill you, even if you are perfectly healthy and normally fight off sickness well.

I am healed up, but there is a knot of scar tissue on my leg.

The worst thing for attracting spiders that I have seen is cedar shakes or shingles, there is a whole ecosystem in there with spiders as the top predator. I like the craftsmanship of installing a cedar roof, but the spiders and bugs are not worth it.

Dan

I got bit this summer while getting out of the truck to go cut. I felt a sting like a wasp sting, and quickly brushed my leg. I did not see what kind of spider it was, but it took forever to heal. The center of the bite turned black and necrotic, and there was no feeling if you poked something into the hole. The surrounding area was red and swollen. I asked an instructor at school (nursing) and she said most complications either come from direct anaphylaxis to the venom, or from the secondary infection. Think about it, the skin is dead and there is nothing to prevent beta hemolytic (hemolytic means the germs can feed off of destroyed red blood cells) bacteria from infecting the area.

A septic infection can kill you, even if you are perfectly healthy and normally fight off sickness well.

I am healed up, but there is a knot of scar tissue on my leg.

The worst thing for attracting spiders that I have seen is cedar shakes or shingles, there is a whole ecosystem in there with spiders as the top predator. I like the craftsmanship of installing a cedar roof, but the spiders and bugs are not worth it.

Dan

Scary stuff if you think about it.

Latest posts

Back