Duct board for plenum??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

padgett152

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Fire Chief 700 that I am about to finish the install on. It comes with a round 12" duct off the top for the supply air. I was wondering if I could construct a duct board (f/glass) plenum instead. as this will make it much easier to tie into my existing LP furnace plenum. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Don't think that would pass code. you also should be installing a damper to isolate the ac coil if you have one from the high temps of the wood furnace output ( again code) and another to divert the cold air return to the fire chief. Then there is the duck work itself which is supposed to have a 2" gap to flammables for the first 10 ft of run and 1" there after for solid fuel heating appliances ( code again).

Don't think that would pass code. you also should be installing a damper to isolate the ac coil if you have one from the high temps of the wood furnace output ( again code) and another to divert the cold air return to the fire chief. Then there is the duck work itself which is supposed to have a 2" gap to flammables for the first 10 ft of run and 1" there after for solid fuel heating appliances ( code again).

Thanks. I do plan to isolate the AC coil with a piece of sheet metal. I do not plan on using the blower from my existing furnace, but relying on the blower (1800 cfm) on the the Fire Chief.

what part of Ohio you in? I'm over on the west side, just about 45 minutes north and west of Dayton. Anyway, dont use fiber board! if you look at the specs online, you'll see that its not rated for the super hot air that your stove will generate. I went to a sheet metal subcontractor that i worked with and gave him the dimensions of the top of my Hotblast 1557M and the duct i wanted and had him hook me up. You ought to be able to look around or call a sheet metal shop and they can bend you a custom plenum for $40 or less. It'll be sheet metal and you can make your outlet wherever you want.
PS: my buddy in college had a Firechief in his parents house that was 25+ years old! When i get the money, that's what i'll be buying.

Speaking as a sheetmetal worker.....

Ductboard is the work of the devil!!! Not only would it not be rated for the temps, it is notorious for shedding its fiberglass into the airstream. I've removed duct board systems that were in place for 3years that had spots where the fiberglass had eroded to the foil backer, definately not something you want in residential use.

Dave

Ductboard is the work of the devil!!! Not only would it not be rated for the temps, it is notorious for shedding its fiberglass into the airstream. I've removed duct board systems that were in place for 3years that had spots where the fiberglass had eroded to the foil backer, definately not something you want in residential use.

Dave

Or any use at all.

No, it does have uses......we used it alot for insulating roof curbs, insulating fabricated doors or wall panels, etc. it just has no use in heating/cooling.

Dave

Back