Get your wood ready, they're calling this one "Frankenstorm".

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess I will fill the generator, spare 5 gal cans, saw mix cans, and the truck with gas tomorrow. Hope the gas stations haven't jacked the price of fuel way up because of the "potential" :censored:. Got the lanterns and Coleman Stoves cleaned up and ready to go tonight. Need to bring one of the stoves and lanterns to my Sister so they will have some backup. Need to grab another gallon of coleman fuel at the store tomorrow on the way.
Got two bags of charcoal so I can bake/cook in the dutch ovens if I feel like it. Got about 4 months of wood in the basement and plenty of food.

Should be good to go for the basic power outage.

I've named it the Frankensnowmaddegonoreastero'cane ... that should pretty much cover it.

Of course I snagged a permanent loan of a 5kw generator tonight which should pretty much assure nothing happens to New England beyond some rain. I don't even want to know what the flip side of that good luck coin will be like.

(I *don't* expect any significant outage this time even if we get hit head on, unless it's my own 220v line. I live right on a main drag and we were out for 3 days last time and if CL&P repeats that performance it will be a truly epic fail. The other 12 years combined I didn't total up 24 hours worth of power outages).

Stay safe guys/gals

Tonight on our local news they talked alot about what was going to happen there; and I'm in the PNW

Heading past me right now, 200 mi off the coast. I live 1000 feet from the ocean and 900 feet from the river, on a barrier Island. There is an inlet 2.5 miles north of me.

Wind is 40 right now, no rain, might get 1-2 inches today and tomorrow. Surf is blown out, probably be good Sunday- Monday

My acreage 15 miles south of me is Hammock land about four miles west of the same barrier island, three miles west of the same river.

No doubt I'll have some blow down. The trees sit on limestone.

Closing on a fixer-upper in a week, so I might take the opportunity to go to the Ranch and exercise my saws this weekend.

Be safe.

Still quit a bit of crops out in my area, last thing we need is wet snow and wind.

I need to top off the gas cans, and make up some fresh mix. Other than that, I think we're ok. My soot eater came in, so the chimney will get a good cleaning this weekend as well.

Of course we made plans on Sunday to go to the range, so not much will get done then. :laugh:

I got to thinking about last year's Halloween storm and decided to stop back in to say how much I appreciated the moral support then. This will be a different beast but I'm betting on a prolonged power outage - at least if it does go down it will probably be so wide spread that it will be out a while. I've got a new-to-me more powerful electric start generator this time (had to repair the automatic voltage regulator on it), and the old one still runs too. I'll be topping off the gas cans, picking up some oil and starting up both generators tomorrow. Probably hook up the new one for a dry run and see how it handles the load.

Got plenty of good running saws and sharp chains. I'm hoping the weak trees have already gone down - I don't need more wood as I have not finished cleaning up the stuff from last Halloween.

Stay safe folks!

You guys in the northeast, get your stuff lined up and things battened down.
Everything is pointing to winds that are bad but not real bad. The big ugly is all the dadgum snow and ice.

Here's whatcha gotta do.

Go Buy a Brand New Arctic cat snow Machine. Something real nice for you, a smaller one for the wife, and a new trailer to haul them with.
Then go buy a brand new Meyer Snow plow for the truck. Get the top model with the QD frame, and upgrade the front suspension on the truck while at it.

While you're doing that, send the wife to the sporting goods shop, and have her pick up new ski's for both of you.

This only works if you REALLY plan on enjoying the snow, so start cheering the storm every time the news freaks start talking about blizzard.

From informal studys done around here, the above methods are 95% effective and should turn the storm back out to sea.
I have seen winter storms chicken out and go around our entire state when only 3-4 PTO driven snow throwers were purchased, and a couple plows mounted, so it works...;)

Good luck to you guys!!
I am confident the hype will once again, be more painfull than the storm itself, thanks to folks taking prudent measures.

If any of you guys wanna come west, there's an independent film festival running all week in our tourist town, and bieng off peak season all the B&B's and resorts are available at decent rates. Bring the Wet suit and catch some surf, as water temps are still in the 50's if that's what you're into.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Oh yeah, almost forgot.

Here's a really COOL new wind map just in time to watch the whole thing blow in.

You can zoom in to a particular area to see the localized winds.

It's really cool to the point of bieng artistic, and would make a killer display on the wall if it were possible.

Wind Map

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

599146_10152234267510440_2036511120_n.jpg

Well, did decide the last two trees that could possibly do significant structural damage to my house will come down first thing in the morning.

It won't be pretty because I would've liked to clear the brush from their landing areas...but we'll still turn 'em into firewood in a week or two when I have more time.

Well, did decide the last two trees that could possibly do significant structural damage to my house will come down first thing in the morning.

It won't be pretty because I would've liked to clear the brush from their landing areas...but we'll still turn 'em into firewood in a week or two when I have more time.

--go for it! Like you said, you can buck them up later. Better on the ground when and where you want them. Moms nature has a cruel sense of humor.

Back