Englander Stove Works

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Split this!

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, been a while since I've been on the site. About 9 months ago someone had a post about Englander stoves and how you could get a great deal on them at the Home Depot by making the Bristol VA. store my store on Home Depot.com. It just so happened that I had been looking for months for an NC-30 stove. I tried it, and got the stove for 1/2 price, shipping included! Well I had a few issues with the stove, it burned fine, heated the house well, but the glass smoked up fast and the air control was very hard to operate. I contacted Englander Stove works, they had some suggestions to try. Still the stove was not right! I know all of you have been run around and around before by corporate America, This was not the case with this company, they determined after my 2nd call to their tech. line, the stove was defective and sent me a new stove. Yes a little bit of a hassle swapping the stove out, but you know, I'm not complaining. To many times I've been stuck with not 100% products because the company knows you don't have the cash to fight them.
Their tech. guy even called me back a couple days later to make sure I got the stove, and wanted to know if I had it hooked up yet, and if so how was it working!! Heck yeah man, that's the old USA companies I remember!! Kudos to Englander Stove Works. The new stove is in and seems to be working fine. The weather has not been cold enough for 24-7 burning yet, just some night time burning. Might get a chance soon with this MONSTER STORM heading right for us!! Be prepared and be safe all! Split

You definitely made the right stove choice! You should read over on ********** all the warranty nightmares with Pacific Energy stoves.

i have 2 of them stoves 1 in each of my garages. the bigger ones glass seems to get dirtier faster and is a little harder to clean. they are both very nice and i am very happy with them

I have and older englander that heats my cabin in the u.p .works great heats 1000.sq .was just there last weekend .Going back the 12th of nov. For deer season. Broke the glass in door about 7 years ago. Called them up had a new one shiped that day.:msp_biggrin:

I've got two woodstoves in my house. The first one is a Woodstock soapstone stove and it is a great stove - terrific customer support, also an expensive stove. The second is and Englander 30-NCH in my basement. It is a heating beast! The stove is a very clean burning stove and easy to control. Quality is top notch. Englander stoves are made in Monroe VA. I bought mine a couple years ago from Home Depot online. The price was $649 plus tax and free shipping to my door - but I bought it in very early spring when they were on closeout. Like Woodstock, Englander has outstanding customer service.

Good luck,
Bill

Englander Stoves

I've got two Englander wood burners. One is in my shop - a 24" model which has the catalytic convertor and a blower motor. To tell the truth it just never seemed to put out enough heat and was slow to burn the wood. I wound up removing that convertor and it seemed to function better. I haven't spent any winter evenings out in the shop for the last 4-5 years though.

In the house I have a TR-18 which I bought around 1992 or 1993 and it is a little dandy.
It takes a little while to heat up but afterwards it certainly does the job. I've modified it by adding an outside air supply (a 4" line) and have a damper in the air line to slow the supply of air -- for instance a long burn at night. For those who may ask - yes I do have another damper in the flue pipe too.

Would I buy another Englander stove - yes. But I don't want one of those catalytic convertor types that are choked down .

Nosmo

I have a 30-NC that I bought in 2006 from Home Depot during the off season. Got it for $450. Just at the right place at the right time. I love the stove and it heats my 1900 sq ft house easily. I have never had a problem with it. As a matter of fact its running now at about 600 F. :msp_biggrin:

Englander 30 mods

You can go along way to better and cleaner burns with a couple of mods. First, if you slide the two ceramic boards all the way over to the side, you will notice a gap. Take a 19" piece of door gasket material and insert a welding rod in it. Place it along that side to cover that gap. You can also get a piece of 1" ceramic blanket material to cover the top of the ceramic boards. These two mods as well as using really good SEASONED x 2 year wood turns this stove into a clean burning heat monster which can't be beat for the $$$$$. This stove is great for letting you know when your wood isn't dry enough, just by the heat level and the cleanliness of the door glass.

Last edited:
A tip for cleaning the glass, make a paste out of ashes & water, apply to a rag and scrub. Of course the glass has to be completely cooled down before doing this.

I don't clean mine often and it stays pretty dirty. But it's in the basement and it's a work horse so it doesn't matter much to me that I can't see all the flame.

Back