Out of Commission

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogsout

Can't Fix Stupid!!
Reaction score
I have been a member of this board for almost 2 years now and am currently starting my second year of wood burning in my ODW. I have learned a ton of information from felling, splitting, burning, stacking, sharpening and numerous other things wood related. I say that because I found out the beginning of this week that I blew my left knee out and am scheduled to have scope surgery this coming Monday. Will be laid up for at least 2 to 3 weeks after. So after being told in a bunch of posts time and again to get yourself cut ahead so mainly to have good seasoned wood when you need it. I would also like to add to this statement that should you get laid up it is a very good feeling to not have to worry about this chore and to be able to set back and enjoy the heat. Another benefit is money that would have went to the gas man can now be diverted to medical bills which in some small way takes the sting off a little. Now I won't lie and say that it does not bug me a little that this is prime cutting weather in Iowa and I am missing it. With over 2 years of wood stacked and ready to go, and the lions share of the 2 year old seasoned wood stacked right where I want it covered and close to the ODW, thinking I am in pretty good shape. So here is a pat on the back to all of the board members showing the way to us newbies, and that actually some of you know what you are talking about. Sorry if this got a bit windy but I now have a lot of time on my hands.

I feel your pain plus a bit. I need to have one knee scoped and the other needs a total joint replacement. Working on the scheduling, but I'm going to try to get both procedures done before the year end.

At least I have enough wood for the winter plus a propane tank that has 300 gallons in it. Between my neighbors and several church members, the OWB should stay fed most of the time.

Sucks getting older and having to pay for the abuse that's been inflicted to the old knees over the last 50 years.

Jeez, guys, you're making me feel a tad guilty. I consider myself "upper" middle aged, but still in pretty good health despite my best efforts. Take care of yourselves, get better, and get back to work. :msp_thumbup:

Very best wishes, guys, and a rapid, complete recovery. At least you don't have to rush things.

Knee problems suck. DAMHIKT

Glad to hear you're well set, and wish you a full and speedy recovery.

Now would be a good time to sit at the workbench and tinker on some old saws while you're mending. Sorry, CAD made me say that!

Sounds a lot like my story - first year with the OWB I had ACL replacement surgery and my wife took over wood filling duty for a week or two. I had enough wood but did not have a lot in reserve that year. That's what has driven me to get at least 25 cords cut/split/stacked. Heck, I probably won't stop there as long as I can make more room for stacks.

That reminds me: I need to finish my instruction sheet to describe to others how to operate the system if I'm not there. Probably really should have a yearly maintenance sheet, start-up instructions, and general operating instructions.

Good luck with the knee. The best advice I got from the physical therapist was to concentrate on walking without favoring my leg as soon as possible. Within two weeks after the surgery I had several guys ask when I was going it to get it done - they couldn't believe that it already was and I was walking.

Good post. I wish you the best in your recovery.

I had my right knee done awhile back following an auto accident. Arthroscopy. Not painless but not bad. The key to any surgery is following doctors advice, don't over-do or under-do it. With a knee you need to get back on it and start using it right away once swelling is down; usually 2-3 days. Work on range of motion, then rebuild muscle structure and strength. Don't baby it or you will turn into a baby.

I am presently recovering from right radial mononeuropathy repair surgery, so i feel your pain. I'm back to sawing, splitting and stacking within limitations and without over-doing it... I've been dealing with this issue for over a year so I had time to plan and gear up. Pain is one thing but you suddenly take it seriously when your dominant hand starts to go numb... Surgery 1st week of August. Two weeks later looked like this:
attachment.php

Today, it looks like this:
attachment.php

Hang in there. Follow your doctor's advice as strictly as possible.

Hope you are able to get your knees straightened out. I had a total L knee joint replacement on May 30th. Was driving 2 weeks later and back on my LARGE cruiser motorcycle on the 15th of July. 6 months after surgery I am about 98%. Kneeling and walking on uneven ground are about my only slow downs. I recommend the TJR surgery to anyone. I suffered with a totally destroyed knee loaded with arthritis for 4 1/2 years. Back then, they would not replace it due to fear of overuse and my size. The joint technology has come A LONG WAY since then. Now they don't even use pins or screws for attachment. GO FOR IT, you won't regret it.

Back