clamp on loader forks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramrat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
They are going to log my sister husbands family's timber this winter . I get to go in a cut up the tops . What are your thoughts of the forks that clamp on the loader bucket. That way I dont need to buy anther set of forks .Forks will say on skid loader at home . The loader will just stay there while I'am doing the work. I have the steel to build my own. Has anyone used a set of these forks? It will make it a lot easier to load on the trailer if I have a set of forks. Thanks

They are going to log my sister husbands family's timber this winter . I get to go in a cut up the tops . What are your thoughts of the forks that clamp on the loader bucket. That way I dont need to buy anther set of forks .Forks will say on skid loader at home . The loader will just stay there while I'am doing the work. I have the steel to build my own. Has anyone used a set of these forks? It will make it a lot easier to load on the trailer if I have a set of forks. Thanks

If your talking about the type that clamp onto the bucket lip they are a complete waste of time IMHO. The only kind I have seen that are useful attach to the top of the bucket and rest in the bottom.

Useful style
Bucket Forks for Backhoes and Loaders

Useless style
Light Duty Pallet Forks | Bucket Forks, Tractor Forks and Pallet Forks for Tractor Buckets and Skid Steer Buckets by USA Forks

yes. I had a heavy duty set for my kubota. They are fine for light-duty work but they shift unless you stabilized them from side to side movement. Also, I bent my bucket where they were clamped on. Eventually one of the welds failed on a fork.

I have quick tach forks and they are 1000 times better than clamp on forks. You'd be better off buying or building a quick tach set, as opposed to clamp ons. A grapple would be better, obviously. But dollar for dollar, your best buck spent would be on a boom pole for your 3 point hitch. You can skid big logs or pick them up and carry them. Tremendous leverage and pulling power that way.

I have a john deere 2555 it is around 75 horse . I want it just to pick up some of the smaller stuff that I plan on taking home and cutting up later. I plan on cutting and splitting the bigger stuff there and hauling it home .

I have a john deere 2555 it is around 75 horse . I want it just to pick up some of the smaller stuff that I plan on taking home and cutting up later. I plan on cutting and splitting the bigger stuff there and hauling it home .

root grapple

Or a grapple for you existing bucket.
116942d1259956333-grapple1-jpg

117419d1260221421-agrapple-jpg

117420d1260221441-agrapple1-jpg

I have a set of 4000 lb clamp on forks and they are better than nothing. They are thick and don't work well with pallets. They shift around a lot. I perfer my 4in1 bucket for lifting logs.

I only need them for this one job at this point in time . I have a skid loader I use most of the time but I need to leave it at the farm . So I will be using the 2555 there. I am going to make some kind of debris forks for the job. I think they will work a lot better that just the bucket. Every thing that I plan on hauling will get cut up less that ten feet so I can haul them home an hour away from the timber.

They will work, but they are not near as easy to use. You can't see them very well. Mounted ones have some play in them, so they will kind of float a little and slide under easier. Clamp on ones will not lift near as much and move the load away from they machine which makes the machine more unstable. Less traction on the rear tires as well. Like others said they slide around, but with some thought a load binder and chain can solve that. Like you said this is one job and you have the material to build them. If you have patients and work safe, give it a try. If it doesn't work out, then you may have to go another route.

I have heavy duty Kubota QA forks for my Kubota L3830 and I love them. I use them to pick up and stack the limbs from trees I drop, move logs, and stockpile splits by putting on a pallet I would not consider having a loader without the quick attach optionView attachment 261941View attachment 261942

I have a set here go on the 90 horse deutz loader. They slip on the lower bucket lip, then a chain wraps around the back and up and over and catches into another chain with a slotted metal piece and a turnbuckle thing for tiightening. I can pick up and move 1500 lb bales with it, but never tried it with logs. I think it would be too wussy and wiggly for doing that unless the logs were so light that I wouldn't bother anyway.

I used to use rear hay forks to pick up logs for bucking, but snagged a root once and bent one fork real bad. Boss not amused. I no longer use any tractor hay forks for firewood except to move my tote box around, and never over loaded. If they are dedicated forks for the task, no bucket involved, I would guess OK if you know your equipment and can guess log weights close, but add on ones I wouldn't use for anything heavy.

I have a set of those clamp-ons and use them much as you plan to, stacking or loading a couple of dozen logs a year. They work great for what they are. It is a little difficult to see over the bucket, but if I stand up I can see alright. They come loose sometimes but no big deal. They are nowhere near as good as a set of real forks or a grapple but they do what they're needed for.

I have used them for years in site construction. As others have said, the forks for the quick attachments are the best.

But they will work. If you cut your logs long enough so you can move your forks to the farthest point out to the edge of the bucket, that will help keep them from moving.

Also, cut yourself 4 pieces of 2x4's 1 foot long. Put one under each screw clamp, so you are not mating metal to metal. Put the other ones between your cutting edge and the back of the fork; this will help reduce the rocking between the fork and the bucket.

Your best bet is being a good operator. Sliding your forks into your load without pushing/pulling on the fork under heavy load will keep them straight the longest.

Good luck, and picks when done fabricating.

It's a rough game, this firewooding by the under-capitalised.

Been lusting after these for a while now:

View attachment 262008
attachment.php

But at around US$2800+tax, it can stay on the wish list for now, darn it.

Been lusting after these for a while now:

View attachment 262008
attachment.php

But at around US$2800+tax, it can stay on the wish list for now, darn it.

I have seen those before. But seems like a hybrid that is ok at each, but not great for either. Won't have the same ability as a grapple bucket or just forks...unless you can easily remove that top grapple.

I have a quick change bucket,and bought a set of forks a couple of years ago.I can not understand how I ever did with out them.Those clamp on forks put your load in front of the bucket,regular forks put your load under the pins.I made a 4x4 box for the front,really easy to haul cord wood.I also stack cord wood on pallets and bring it up.I take it easy and seldom spill any,that way I do not have to re stack it.

I also do some scraping,loading the trailer is really easy with forks,the forks are on the tractor all of the time now,once in a while I will put the bucket on but not very often.

Latest posts

Back