Ms391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New or used? Retail or behind the store in the alley?

My local dealer has it for $540 new.

Last edited:
Aren't all Stihl dealers required to charge MSRP? I've never seen an advertised price for a Stihl that wasn't either: 1) MSRP or 2) National promotion price

I've purchased my last 2 saws from the same local guy and paid MSRP on the saws but he also threw in an extra chain and some oil for each.

To answer your question, I paid $525 for my 391 with a 20" bar about 2 years ago.

That's what my local dealer charges with a 16" bar too. 18 and 20" are more. However they're known for outrageous prices.

Good luck with it. Come on, where are the pics???????? :D Reps coming your way. :hmm3grin2orange:

I used to have a 391. I know some guys dont like it because of the power/weight ratio but I got used to the weight pretty quickly. Great saw for sure. Good choice!

I also have the 391 and it is the first one I grab when going to cut...Mine has a 20-in. bar that handles most of what I cut.....Good power and a great noodler when I need it.....

I’ve had a 290 for years and its cut lots of wood, I mean “lots”.
It’s been the best saw I’ve had by far and I’ve had zero problems with it.
So much so that I have taken it for granted that she will always be there to do the job.
I needed a longer bar to get through some of the bigger wood and to give the old farm boss a break.lol
I like the 20” bar on the farm boss because I don’t have to bend over so far when bucking.
The head on the 391 is slightly bigger, but not much and with the longer bar it’s a little heaver as well.
I think I’ll be very happy with it.
My 290 probably needs a ring job to get back some of what it’s lost over the years.
Now that I have 2 saws I may do it.

Thanks for the input.

My 290 probably needs a ring job to get back some of what it’s lost over the years.
Now that I have 2 saws I may do it.

Thanks for the input.

You could always put Bailey's 390 short block in it. Not terribly expensive. Big boost in power.

I'd like to hear more about how the 391 handles the 25" bar once you get some more time on it. I've been contemplating picking up a 25" b/c for occasional use on mine. What chain did you go with?

Here is one of Baileys 390 in a MS 290 frame with a 25"3/8"b/c and its a strong runner

DSC_7991.jpg

Aren't all Stihl dealers required to charge MSRP? I've never seen an advertised price for a Stihl that wasn't either: 1) MSRP or 2) National promotion price

I've purchased my last 2 saws from the same local guy and paid MSRP on the saws but he also threw in an extra chain and some oil for each.

To answer your question, I paid $525 for my 391 with a 20" bar about 2 years ago.

My Father in law is a Stihl dealer. They are very particular in the price charged. Long story short, they do require dealers to charge MSRP. That said though, the markup isn't huge by any means. 20% +- I think. They can of course cut you a deal and throw in chains, oil, etc...

I suppose it makes sense if you think about it. They don't want dealers getting into price wars with eachother. Although, Stihl wouldn't be taking the hit, the dealers would. So I guess I'm not sure why they are so particular...

Latest posts

Back