A new thread for oldies.....Check in if you remember when.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I catch the eye from customers all the time when I tell them tree service prices have not increased much in 20 years. I do remember the late 80's when the money we made was quite good!

I remember when saws didn't have brakes or compression releases, and three strand rope was acceptable to use as a climbing line. You had to be a man back then to start a 064 or 084 up in a tree.

I remember when we used old army 2.5 tons for skidders. And my dad had a side loader instead of a knuck boom. Early 80's logging. No diesel engine trucks. School bus gasoline engines were worth something back then.

The way I was taught in the late 80's was as such:

1. Smoke a doobie pre-flight ( the bigger/ nastier the tree, the more you smoked).

2. Free climb until your a crotch below your TIP.

3. Feel free to throw dull/ hard starting saws from 50 ft.

4. Climber takes a "smoke brake" and rolls his rope before helping chip.

5. Rinse repeat.

I remember when saws didn't have brakes or compression releases, and three strand rope was acceptable to use as a climbing line. You had to be a man back then to start a 064 or 084 up in a tree.

I have an 084 with a 40" bar. I have had it in the tree two times about 20 feet up. No room for a log so I had to chunk it down. I do not take those jobs on any more I have nothing to prove....

I have an 084 with a 40" bar. I have had it in the tree two times about 20 feet up. No room for a log so I had to chunk it down. I do not take those jobs on any more I have nothing to prove....

I said I remember them, don't think I would want to start or use a 084 in a tree anymore either, But back in the day.............

Three strand manilla rope (1/2") was standard issue for climbing, 5/8" manilla for bull rope and OSHA acceptable. Three points of contact for climbing was accepted by OSHA. Homelite Super XL 925 was a mean saw (still have one in a 5 gallon bucket in the barn). You had to sweat thru the uppers on your boots before you could say it was a hot day. Spray pesticides on all trees and shrubs when you went on a property, whether they needed it or not. I'm old so I'll probably think of more.

Wow some of the stuff we are getting is sounding like normal everyday for me. I just gave one of my ground guys a Yale maxi-flip and macro grab. He was using a manila wire core with a prussic. I started with a wire core manila knotted through the D ring. Not even a real knot just a slipper through the D ring... Even today I rarely tie in more than a flip line unless my old bones need the extra stability. I am awakened to the fact I am actually getting older and there are people who are better than me....:msp_mellow:

The way I was taught in the late 80's was as such:

1. Smoke a doobie pre-flight ( the bigger/ nastier the tree, the more you smoked).

2. Free climb until your a crotch below your TIP.

3. Feel free to throw dull/ hard starting saws from 50 ft.

4. Climber takes a "smoke brake" and rolls his rope before helping chip.

5. Rinse repeat.

Haha, I think that still applies at a lot of companies today.

I saw a wooden pole saw once.:msp_ohmy:

I wasn't able to use it because I was afraid a splinter might tear my rubber coated gloves.

020t and 056, course that was old for me, that might be still new to some of you elders!

When I had a full time job , and would work weekends and make my paycheck in less then a day , and think wow I should do this full time I will be a millionaire quick , shah yea right !

all metal 020T with 1/4" fast chain it "walked off" probably still runs still have a brand new 14" bar for it in sleeve in garage,
Rimmington ground saw with a pump oiler with case cracked so it would burn the bar oil and fog the whole back yard,
minalla 3 strand buck strap and arborplex climb line,
I sold by chunk and dunk last spring and miss it already
and ya no raise in 25 years but cost of living and eqipment has quaddrupled,

Back