ClearStack or CleanStack chimeny increases efficiency of OWB ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngzcaz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this setup ? Only info I could gather was a youtube video which left a lot to be desired. I can find no other literature, dealers etc.. While the concept of improving efficiency is commendable I'm trying to figure out how it helps the OWB burn longer, better, etc etc. The smoke may contain less hydrocarbons and particulates but that's at the chimney level, not inside the boiler.

I'm all for making less smoke if it works but I'd like to do it in the boiler not in the chimney. Seems like it might be similar to a cat converter in a car sorta, kinda ? And if the OWB is just idling for a long time, is the stack hot enough to ignite all those nastys without clogging the chimney with black goop ? :msp_smile:

ClearStak

This might help. It looks like it has a heating element that heats up the gasses to firing temp for the catalyst.

The cost is crazy though. $2300 for base models is really pricey.

If guys burned better seasoned wood there really shouldn't be an issue. Mine only blows smoke on shutdown for a minute or two.

ClearStak

This might help. It looks like it has a heating element that heats up the gasses to firing temp for the catalyst.

The cost is crazy though. $2300 for base models is really pricey.

If guys burned better seasoned wood there really shouldn't be an issue. Mine only blows smoke on shutdown for a minute or two.

$ 2300 for an add on...... .well it would have to use half the wood to justify its price. And anything brand new are things I tend to stay away from until there's a bit of a track record to see how it works. Seasoned wood is the way to go for sure. I'm looking for longer/better burns so I can ease up a bit on the work. The gassers apparently burn much less wood but that doesn't help us guys that already invested thousands in our present units. Seems hard to believe the same technology that allows 8 to 12 hour burns with indoor regular wood stoves ( not the indoor version on an OWB ) cna't be fitted/retrofitted on the OWB's. :)

Having every wall surrounded in water, it's difficult to bring firebox temperatures up to promote secondary combustion in a OWB. That's where gasifiers have it down. A primary chamber for wood then a secondary chamber to burn the gasses. That contraption just reduces emissions, but does nothing for the burns. There's also a guaranteed chance of ruining the cat and plugging the thing. Looking at the YouTube videos that thing appears more snake oil than anything. Burning seasoned wood and not stuffing the unit completely full would help reduce emissions.

Back