Long Jump Fail

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy553

Oakaholic
Reaction score
First, a little background: I have my firewood stacked in 24 ft long rows running north to south, about a 2 ft gap between the rows. I have 6 rows like that, and then move farther north and start the same routine over again. The most western rows are stacked up against the wood line.

OK. Wednesday night I got home from working out of state, and decided to have a little fire. The firepit is about 100 ft east of the wood stacks. Had a few friends over and we were sitting around the fire shootin' the crap and stuff.

All of a sudden there was a goofy noise coming from over by the wood stacks. I turned around to look while the others all started yelling. What had happened is a deer had come out of the woods behind the stacks, tried to jump over, but did not realize there were 6 of them to jump!

You got it! She knocked 4 rows over. And then got up and ambled off as though it was a perfectly normal thing she had just done! Luckily I have a fence post every 8 ft in the row, so only one section of each row went over.

I only got to see the rows going over, but 2 of the others got to see the entire show. At first they couldn't understand what they were seeing, but it didn't take long to become clear! lol All they could think about after that was the deer jumping over the stacks. All I could think about was having to re-stack that wood.:angry: Most of you know that if there is anything I hate more than stacking wood, it is having to stack it twice!!

Stupid Deer!
Ted

L-O-L… that’s funny.
I’ve seen deer do some stupid things over the years; I don’t understand how something that can appear so intelligent at times can commit such idiotic acts at other times.

There’s been a doe with two yearlings routinely coming and going from my woodlot using the trail that brings them through my 5+ foot stacks. I was sittin’ on the golf cart one evening a couple weeks ago, about eight beers in, when they made their routine exit. I’d had just enough beer that I thought what great fun it would be to re-stack my firewood into a maze… and then sit and watch the fun. Luckily, I wasn’t halfway into a bottle of whiskey or my drunkin’ butt likely would’ve been out there re-stacking… That would’ve been re-stacking near 20 cord of firewood!

Didn’t I just say it was deer that appear intelligent, yet commit idiotic acts?
My wife likely would’ve called the loony bin to come get me.

L-O-L… that’s funny.
I’ve seen deer do some stupid things over the years; I don’t understand how something that can appear so intelligent at times can commit such idiotic acts at other times.

There’s been a doe with two yearlings routinely coming and going from my woodlot using the trail that brings them through my 5+ foot stacks. I was sittin’ on the golf cart one evening a couple weeks ago, about eight beers in, when they made their routine exit. I’d had just enough beer that I thought what great fun it would be to re-stack my firewood into a maze… and then sit and watch the fun. Luckily, I wasn’t halfway into a bottle of whiskey or my drunkin’ butt likely would’ve been out there re-stacking… That would’ve been re-stacking near 20 cord of firewood!

Didn’t I just say it was deer that appear intelligent, yet commit idiotic acts?
My wife likely would’ve called the loony bin to come get me.

DO IT! Use their trail for the start point. I will come and watch! Chances are, the wife already thinks you are loony bin material anyway, so who cares! :jester:
However, I WILL not help you re-stack even one stick!!

Ted

I'm blaming any tipped over stacks from here on out on deer! Haven't had one in a year or two, but got some bad leaners.

Spidey, the concept of a firewood maze is good, but I bet the insurance coverage would be tough to get. I always thought it'd be cooler than them corn mazes.

HA! Sorry to hear 'bout havin to restack, but that had to be some funny stuff to see! :laugh:

Oh, n spidey, you need to set up a video camera and try it! We'll vouch for ya at yer sanity hearing... :msp_blink: (not saying which way we'll vouch, but we'll be there! :hmm3grin2orange:)

Working off of the stupid deer theme. A couple of years ago coming home my wife and I were approaching a bridge and a couple of deer came out of the ditch on the other side and started across the bridge towards us. We stopped short of the bridge about 30 yards and watched as 6 deer in all started to make their way across towards us. None of them were in a big hurry and veered off in to the ditch just over the bridge. All but the last one. This idiot got about half way across and took a little break. Well when it decided to move, with no movement from my car, or me it just turned sideways and cleared the bridge railing by a good 3 foot. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Of coarse the wife was totally freaked out. Guessing it was a good 20 foot drop to the river. Lucky for the deers sake it was winter and the snow down there was about 5 foot deep. By the time I drove up to the bridge, found my flash light and got over to the edge of the bridge and looked over it was quite and no sign of the deer except for place where it landed in the snow drift. Just wonder what the heck that deer thought after clearing the railing and found hard ground was not where it expected it to be.

Are they any different than humans?................................................

Had to be done ;)

cat-jumps-off-ledge.gif

I'm blaming any tipped over stacks from here on out on deer! Haven't had one in a year or two, but got some bad leaners.

Spidey, the concept of a firewood maze is good, but I bet the insurance coverage would be tough to get. I always thought it'd be cooler than them corn mazes.

I have had sections of rows tipped over before, but always attributed that to stacks tilting as they dried. Now, not so sure!:dunno:
Think I will go with the deer jump fail thing. Sure is easier on the ego than bad stacking!
Never would have believed it if I had not seen it myself!
Life is always interesting!

Ted

On Sat a spike ran down the middle of downtown, jumped right through a plate glass window at a real estate office, scared the hell out of the owner then proceeded to trash the bathroom before running back out the window and out of town. It's the only town in our county..pop 2,500.
Teenager hormones I rekon......

Latest posts

Back