snowing here work cancelled

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autoimage

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
attachment.php
learned how to embed photos guess its time to split some woodView attachment 264331

Looks like you have a good supply of wood there:msp_thumbup: Trying to get my pile of rounds split before it looks like yours:hmm3grin2orange: Thanks for sharing!

Wow, that's some stack you got there. Now, I'm not sure so I'll ask, doesn't leaving the wood outside, susceptible to the elements delay the drying process? I mean if that was a dry stack isn't it going to be wet again absorbing all of that moisture from the snow?

Or it doesn't matter because the moisture won't penetrate all the way through?

You got out of work from that:msp_ohmy:

That's what I said after moving here from NW Iowa!! LOL. You should see these idiots here in the winter. Even if it rains here and 35-40deg. They drive 40mph. It's irritating!

its the same way here iowa..we never usually get snow this early and i hear its close to 60 on sat

king i just cut that wood from sandy till now all black and pin oak which i like to dry for 18 months. once i get it stacked ill let the sun and wind get to it and throw a tarp on it this time next year...thanks for the kind words

That's what I said after moving here from NW Iowa!! LOL. You should see these idiots here in the winter. Even if it rains here and 35-40deg. They drive 40mph. It's irritating!

Yep

Wow, that's some stack you got there. Now, I'm not sure so I'll ask, doesn't leaving the wood outside, susceptible to the elements delay the drying process? I mean if that was a dry stack isn't it going to be wet again absorbing all of that moisture from the snow?

To answer your question, yes. My stacks only get covered once I am ready to use them and then it's only to keep the snow off.
Any wet from weather drys in about 4 hrs inside in the wood box.

Bert said it well.

To expand it a bit, as long as the wood is up off the ground so it doesn't wick moisture, most of the rain will just roll off harmlessly. It is good to get it under cover for a while before burning for that surface moisture to go away.

In wildland firefighting, they talk about 1 hour, 10 hour, 100 hour, and 1000 hour fuels -- 1 hour fuels like dead grass (not freshly cut) take an hour for their internal moisture to equal the atmosphere. They get moist at night, they get dry during the day. 100 hour fuels need four dry days...so a shower every few days will keep them from burning intensely even when it's dry out. 1000 hour fuels is what most of firewooders call kindling.

8" diameter wood is the threshold for "10,000 hour" fuels -- figure it takes about 14 months for it's internal moisture to average out with the atmosphere. In most places some where between 15-20%. A day or two of rain isn't going to undo the 14 months of seasoning it took to get that dry.

Now you will find eventually you can keep wood too long and it will begin to rot unless kept under cover, but keeping it outside uncovered but off the ground for 2-3 years for firewood use is OK. The constant drinks of rain will keep the fungus happy and growing as the wood breaks down.

You should try visiting Branson in the snow, pure entertainment. Watching all of the southerners try to drive on the steep hills is a joy.

Dan

Anything under 18 inches should be business as usual. Unless we are talking women. No, them too.

Latest posts

Back