Firewood saw that is not a chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machold

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need to shorten firewood that's too long for my stove. Can't afford a buzz saw; don't want to use a chainsaw. Any suggestions would be welcome. Have used a table saw in the past but eventually burned out the motor. Hand cutting is too time consuming.

Reciprocating saw. $100 or less at your local big box store. Get long blades for it.

Food for thought 12" Harbour Freight chop saw get the warrenty should do most of what you want and when your done take it back and get a new one for FREE its like good and stuff :hmm3grin2orange:

My dad used to cut most of his on an electric miter saw. The wood has to be 4" or under, but it makes quick work of it.

12" band saw works, but it's slower and binds up a lot. Use a 1/2" band if you do this, at about 10-12 tpi.

Reciprocating saw with a 10" or 12" blade works fine also, just a bit slow.

I would go the HF route. I used and destroyed a nice 12" lazer sliding compound miter saw doing the same task a few years ago. wish I had bought the cheap $89 saw HF offers and wouldn't have cared if it got destroyed.

I have a big vertical band saw I use, 2 hp , 17" throat on one and 24" throat on another. I use a 3/4" wide blade 3 or 4 teeth per inch. 6 tooth works well also just a bit slower. You could use the same tooth count on a 1/2 blade. Look for a unit that takes around a 90" blade, 2 wheel. The little 3 wheel units use short blades and really do not have the guts for this.
Reciprocating saw works ok if you have a way to keep the wood solid otherwise everything is bouncing all over. Have to remember to keep the shoe up tight to the work

Last edited:
Chop saw is for steel, you'll cook the motor, what they mean is a mitre saw, 10" with a ripping or course blade.

better yet a sawzall with a course wood blade (and get a bunch).

Princess Auto is the Canadian equiv. of Harbour Freight, try Crappy Tire with there Christmas sale.

I have used the miter saw for cutting up full length firewood for my mini smoker seemed to work well. Being my stove will accept 31" long splits I have yet to run into anything too long to fit.

My chop saw lives on the porch just for this reason. Quick and easy.

Do you mean chop saw, or miter saw?

Only all purpose (wood & Metal) chop saw I can find is, Evolution Power Tools' Fury/Rage2, UK company with US distributor, but cannot find a seller in southern Ontario.

Last edited:
Do you mean chop saw, or miter saw?

Only all purpose (wood & Metal) chop saw I can find is, Evolution Power Tools' Fury/Rage2, UK company with US distributor, but cannot find a seller in southern Ontario.

I've heard chop and miter used for the same tool, wood working miter saw.

Perfectly fine choice to make slightly too long firewood small rounds and splits shorter.

I need to shorten firewood that's too long for my stove. Can't afford a buzz saw; don't want to use a chainsaw. Any suggestions would be welcome. Have used a table saw in the past but eventually burned out the motor. Hand cutting is too time consuming.

I ran wood chop saws and sawsall's my whole working life, I can't imagine useing either for fire wood, talk about slow motion and a waste of blades.

Build a jig something like this one Using A Cutting Rack To Shorten Firewood Too Long For Your Woodstove - YouTube and use your chain saw that is what it was made for.

Good luck --- J http://www.arboristsite.com/images/icons/icon7.png

I did try an old Craftsman mitre saw; worked fine on "regular" wood until one particular piece of wood (very dense fibres and heavy) stopped the blade like kevlar stops a chain.

I did try an old Craftsman mitre saw; worked fine on "regular" wood until one particular piece of wood (very dense fibres and heavy) stopped the blade like kevlar stops a chain.

Just remember kevlar won't stop an electric chainsaw. Direct drive no clutch to slip.

Latest posts

Back