eBay----Really surprised me!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giles

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am not new to chainsaws and other equipment. I may not be up-to-date though because I see stuff on eBay that is unbelievable.
A few years ago, I owned a Stihl MS200T but didn't use it much. I traded it for another piece of equipment.
Now, when I traded for the Stihl, I checked and the new price was close to $500.
While checking for parts for my son's MS192TC, I checked out the prices chainsaws are selling for on eBay. I noticed that an average condition 200T will sometimes sell for over $500 and some have sold for over $1000!!!:confused:
I know what the 200 was but not aware that they were selling for over their new price.

Somethig else that is somewhat related, Is the prices some items bring on eBay. If an item has, say---25 bids, there may be many that have a "0" rating, and some with maybe 5. It looks like some sellers are bidding on their own listing with a new account.

I am not new to chainsaws and other equipment. I may not be up-to-date though because I see stuff on eBay that is unbelievable.
A few years ago, I owned a Stihl MS200T but didn't use it much. I traded it for another piece of equipment.
Now, when I traded for the Stihl, I checked and the new price was close to $500.
While checking for parts for my son's MS192TC, I checked out the prices chainsaws are selling for on eBay. I noticed that an average condition 200T will sometimes sell for over $500 and some have sold for over $1000!!!:confused:
I know what the 200 was but not aware that they were selling for over their new price.

Somethig else that is somewhat related, Is the prices some items bring on eBay. If an item has, say---25 bids, there may be many that have a "0" rating, and some with maybe 5. It looks like some sellers are bidding on their own listing with a new account.

No, doubt it seriously.....

Yes it seems that way........? Not sure if its really happening or not. Never the less the saws are having no trouble bringing that price.

Yes I have proof of this, there is a seller over here that imports saws from the US and sells them on ebay. I have tried bidding on some of his items and was always outbid buy the same bidder. So I did some research and found that this 'highest bidder' only bid on this particular sellers items and had a zero feedback score. His saws usually go for above average prices and if not, he makes sure he is the highest bidder and relists the item after the auction.

I think we are talking about the 200t.?? Are they worth what they are going for? What do you guys think? I wonder if arborist are buying or collectors.

I think we are talking about the 200t.?? Are they worth what they are going for? What do you guys think? I wonder if arborist are buying or collectors.

The 200t is a great saw but it's not worth much more than a 201t IMO. Some new 200t's have been selling for over $1000 on ebay and that's almost 2 new 201t's.

The 201t's have received some bad reviews but its a strato saw and they do take a while to run in. A muffler mod and some tuning will further improve performance.

They are both great saws.

There is a way to validate your claim.

Go to the Ebay resolution center, and report the seller for "shill bidding". Underr that category, there is a specific viloation for bidding from multiple accounts. Ebay already knows this goes on and will review the statistics of the seller, in conjunction with your allegation, and take the appropriate action. I did it once, and never heard back from Ebay, but the seller had far less bidding on their stuff after that. It's really hard to prove on your own.

Go to the Ebay resolution center, and report the seller for "shill bidding". Underr that category, there is a specific viloation for bidding from multiple accounts. Ebay already knows this goes on and will review the statistics of the seller, in conjunction with your allegation, and take the appropriate action. I did it once, and never heard back from Ebay, but the seller had far less bidding on their stuff after that. It's really hard to prove on your own.

Yes that would be the correct way to report it, but ebay has since introduced a "private listing" option which protects the identity of the bidders. I see no real reason for protecting the bidders, but in doing so it does encourage "shill bidding"...

Yes that would be the correct way to report it, but ebay has since introduced a "private listing" option which protects the identity of the bidders. I see no real reason for protecting the bidders, but in doing so it does encourage "shill bidding"...

Tell you a little secret, If you have placed a bid on an item and it sells to another bidder you can know their identity as soon as the auction ends.

Go to advanced search, select items by bidder, enter your user name and check completed listings.

It will show all items you have bid on for last 30 days and who won those auctions as long as reserve was met.

From there you can also enter anybodys user ID and it will show you everything they have won in last 30 days.

If there was a shill bidder this type of search would display it.

Keep your freind's close and your enemy's closer.

C.S.I :cool2:

I would check it out for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a guy right know with a 200t bid up to $1350!! Come on!!

The illegal bidding you are speaking of (and/or) suspecting can be duly reported as mentioned in the above post.
Otherwise, since Ebay is an open auction market the items can sell to the "highest bidder" every day. If you are
feeling like you are missing out you can register and get in on it. Quite a few members here do, have and will
continue. When asked "what a saw is worth" -- a seller might realistically say -- "as much as two or more people
are willing to pay" as they auction hype rises. Happy Searching! :D

Back