Husqvarna 357xp performance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG C

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'll cut right to the chase.
are there any reasonable mods for this saw to help it?
It was purchased to add to my fleet of log building saws
It's an ok saw for blocking,limbing and such, but lacks enough power(torque) to cut saddles(scarfs) or large notches for log building.
What a disapointment this saw is. I have to blame myself for believing all the hype from HUSKY fans my log mentor, and the dealer.
The dealer gave the biggest misrepresentation of the saw.
The saw has had 5 tanks of fuel run through it and been back to the dealer 3 times. Once was for a faulty bar oiler pump.

If everything is in order, the 357xp should be strong for a 56.5cc saw - but it still is just that.

As far as I know, log house building is usually assosiated with much larger saws?

The 357 XP is definetly a finesse saw, and I don't compare it to my big STIHLS that I use for ripping and felling.
Some guys like using big 75+ cc saws for log building but it makes for a long day on ones body doing that. You just don't need to abuse your body like that, yes age talking here.
Everything is in excellent working order, it's new and setup to operate at my altitude of 8000ft. all that being said I had hoped it would perform closer to my STIHL 361 instead of my STIHL 261.
The best thing about this saw so far has been the stiffer 'suspension'.

I love my 357!

You said only 5 tanks through it? Hell, it ain't even broke in yet! It'll be stronger after 10.

Maybe something is wrong with that one, cause mines has got plenty of torque speed and power.

Muffler mod really wakes em up good.

Can't say anything for log home building but my 357 has been great for firewooding. 2 years, zero problems and it's getting better with age.

Last edited:
I own one, I can tell you it's more style over substance lol. Its heavy,balanced poorly(feels like a brick) and is very unreliable. Look for something better, maybe a 361 0r 362. In my neck of the woods the 361/362 have been much more reliable.

I'll keep working with it, but I'm truly disappointed. Im trying to optimize the 357XP's performance.
I find my self in frustration reaching for my STIHLS to cut even the small stuff, and just wanted to here if anyone had some thoughts on what to do to get my 357XP to run better.
It should run better than it does considering HUSKY'S cost more than STIHLS here.

Its heavy,balanced poorly(feels like a brick) and is very unreliable. Look for something better, maybe a 361 0r 362. In my neck of the woods the 361/362 have been much more reliable.

So the 357 is heavy but the 361 isn't?

Stihl MS361 Specifications

Displacement: 59 cc
Engine: 4.4 horsepower, 3.3 kW
Weight: 12.3 pounds
Fuel Facility: 23.2 ounces
Chain Width: 3/8
Bar Length: 16″ to 25″

Specifications for 357 XP®
Engine specification Cylinder displacement 56.5 cc
Power output 4.4 hp
Maximum power speed 9600 rpm
Maximum recommended engine speed 14000 rpm
Overall dimensions Weight 12.1 lbs

So the Stihl weighs more and needs more cc's to get the same power as the 56.5cc 357. Haters gonna hate :rolleyes2:

The 357xp is a very good saw and is basically even in the power department with the US Stihl MS 361. There are threads in here doing stock comparison cutting in hardwood where they are neck and neck. There was some negativity around the 357 because they had to reinforce the case thus adding a few ounces, plus there was the carb issue on the early models (easy swap though). In Canada and Europe the 361 had a bit more power. I had one and ran it hard for a season of firewood and farm duty (plenty of felling and fencerow work) and it ran flawlessly, had great throttle response and was smooth as silk. I only sold mine once I had acquired the 346 and 372 because I (nor the wife) could justify the money I had tied up in 3 new pro saws. Overall the 357 is an excellent saw. If you are that unhappy with yours something is fishy!

Tim

send it to treemonkey for a woodsport and it will outcut most 70cc saws with ease

I have several 70cc saws, and they all sit and gather dust, 357 outcuts them. Maybe you got a turd cause mine are pretty good stock and ported.

good luck

Please,
someone tell me about the 'muffler mod'

Pretty simple to mod. After you get it off you will see a channel inside with a hole at one end.Open that one up and the side port. Keep your openings about 80% of the exhaust opening in the cylinder. Some open them more but 80% is a good safe starting point.
Just visualise the exhaust flow and get rid of all restrictions.Now you'll need to richen up the "H" needle on the saw.If your not sure how to adjust the carb, have someone do it before you run it any.
Hope this makes sense.

Forgot to mention, I just aquired a 357XP about 4 months ago.I also have an 034Super and an 036Pro. I like the 357XP alot more then the Stihls.
A good muffler mod really wakes this saw up. Also if it's set just a little too close to lean it loses a bunch of torque. So you may try riching it up a little.

couldn't agree more

I love my 357!

You said only 5 tanks through it? Hell, it ain't even broke in yet! It'll be stronger after 10.

Maybe something is wrong with that one, cause mines has got plenty of torque speed and power.

Muffler mod really wakes em up good.

I modded my 357 also, and it cuts real well for it's size. Pound for pound, consideriing the engine size, it's impressive. I use it in the middle of the tree for burning thru the bigger limbs fast. Makes short work of cutting up a fallen oak.

pics

Please,
someone tell me about the 'muffler mod'

Take a close up of that chain and post her on here for us to have a look. I just bought a pristine 026 for scrap price cause the guy said it sucked and wouldn't cut, and that Stihls were junk. The chain was on backwards. Of course, I waited til I got it home to figure that out! LOL

So the Stihl weighs more and needs more cc's to get the same power as the 56.5cc 357. Haters gonna hate :rolleyes2:

There are two issues with that comparison;

1) The case of the 357xp was reinforced after those specs were written, and the saw ended up about .8 lbs higher - meaning it actually was heavier than the MS361.

2) The kW specs of the 357xp is missing above, but it was 3.2 kW vs 3.3, so not quite the same.

The 357xp also suffered a bit from being used as a "test-bed" for new features, most notably the auto decomp.

On top of that, it was just a 56.5cc saw that replaced the 254xp - but mostly was compared to 60cc+ saws in the market (the 361 was an exception in that regard).

I was not surpriced at all that Husky was in a hurry to replace that model....

I was not surpriced at all that Husky was in a hurry to replace that model....[/QUOTE]

They kept it around pretty long for being in a hurry. They were priced too high here also.

1) The case of the 357xp was reinforced after those specs were written, and the saw ended up about .8 lbs higher - meaning it actually was heavier than the MS361.

Those specs are taken from the Husky website today...

2) The kW specs of the 357xp is missing above, but it was 3.2 kW vs 3.3, so not quite the same.

.1 kW = 0.134048257373 hp, pretty equal IMO.

On top of that, it was just a 56.5cc saw that replaced the 254xp - but mostly was compared to 60cc+ saws in the market (the 361 was an exception in that regard).

A 56.5 being compared to a 59. What's more to say? 56.5 vs 59. I would say it's a helluva 56.5 if you are going to put it up against 60+cc's

OK so we're talking less than a pound difference. Is that enough to call it a brick?

Latest posts

Back