Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just brought home a 306a and I think that was the last straw for my only Stihl. It ran away this morning. (But it went to good home, I here)

Mine are cringing in the corner. I love the 026 and 041 but I think I'll leave the 260 with the flippy caps all alone with the Poulans for a week. maybe it will come back with non-engineered caps. Just wait until Stihl comes up with the new improved 21 piece spark plug cap with auto retractor and lock down for your cutting enjoyment (but damn, they make good tank guns). Do you know where the Abrams gun comes from?

A red one is on my search list. I have a red 3400 parts saw so am part way there. And I really miss the cigars. My wife told me it was a nasty habit and when my doctor started up about it I gave them away. Still hurts.

Think I've got a 3800 P&C in my parts boxes if you're interested.. Just bolt it on to your red 3400. Have no idea what shipping would be though.
Bob

A red one is on my search list. I have a red 3400 parts saw so am part way there. And I really miss the cigars. My wife told me it was a nasty habit and when my doctor started up about it I gave them away. Still hurts.

Al thats a nice find in that Craftsman 3.4. I wouldnt bother to start it either. No chain brake was the way they were here in the states, Poulan didnt really like them and only put them on when they had to for certain countries etc.

If you want a red one, I'll keep my eyes peeled for one for ya. I would be glad to send ya one. I think I do have some red parts here for one if you need what I have.

Anyone have a good pic of the "vent plug" on this thing. The IPL is not very clear at all. I can make out the usual duckbill and fitting. But really can't see what the plug, on the other end of the hose, looks like......Part # is 530027339.

Its just a little bronze filter type plug that goes into the open end of the vent hose. Not a big deal, just mostly to keep debris out of the hose. I just use a small piece of air filter foam in them as I never think to order any.

Think I've got a 3800 P&C in my parts boxes if you're interested.. Just bolt it on to your red 3400. Have no idea what shipping would be though.
Bob

Well, that is mighty kind but I have a couple of 3800 Poulan variants already. And really, the 3400 series suit me just fine. I do not actually run them much other than for fun but I do love owning them. I plan to keep this one inside the house. (Hope Suzanne doesn't read this.)

If you want a red one, I'll keep my eyes peeled for one for ya. I would be glad to send ya one. I think I do have some red parts here for one if you need what I have.

Aw, Mark the shipping would be a killer, but I do appreciate your kind offer. I am sure I'll stumble on one sooner or later. Even a blind pig finds an acorn occassionally.:msp_biggrin:

Al.

Its just a little bronze filter type plug that goes into the open end of the vent hose. Not a big deal, just mostly to keep debris out of the hose. I just use a small piece of air filter foam in them as I never think to order any.

OK, thanks!!

DSC00112.jpg

DSC00113.jpg

Very Nice Al!! Still waiting on the clutch and drum for my NOS PP305

4000 w/32"

Ran my 4000 yesterday with the 32" on it yesterday. Wow! Been a while since that small of a saw quickly zipped thru logs that big.

Got a 4200 coming soon, and will see how it measures up.

With saws of this caliber, how come Poulan didn't survive in this market?

joe25DA;3987084 Very Nice Al!! Still waiting on the clutch and drum for my NOS PP305[/QUOTE said:
I would like to see that PP305, Joe. Something clean and nice about old saws that have never been run. You know, I pulled the muffler on mine to see what was inside (chrome piston/plain bore) and after all these years there is still an obvious layer of oil intact and everything is preserved. Even the fuel lines are like new - I guess it the fuel that kills them.

Al.

Last edited:
Ran my 4000 yesterday with the 32" on it yesterday. Wow! Been a while since that small of a saw quickly zipped thru logs that big.

Got a 4200 coming soon, and will see how it measures up.

With saws of this caliber, how come Poulan didn't survive in this market?

WOW!!! A 32" on a 4000. I love the 4000, but that might be pushing it a little.
Your gonna be flabbergasted at the 4200.:D I took down another good sized Ash, and bucked it up with my 4200 yesterday. I use a 24" on it with a new loop of Stihl RSC chain. It will cut with the best of em!:msp_thumbup:

:cheers:
Gregg,

It will probably leak but it wont hurt much except make a mess when its sitting.

You can stilll order those seals from Poulan. Better order 2 in case you mess one up putting it in, there real thin. I like to bevel the ouside of the oiler housing a bit to help get them in.

I left it last night and this morning i went to check it,not even a drop.I was planing to order a couple of these seals and 3-4 crank seals,rings and some other parts just in case,it is very usefull when you have spare parts.

Yes,the seal is very thin.Last time i replaced the seal on the 306A,i remember i was trying over 30 min.I bevel the outside of the housing too but i was finally able to place the seal only from the inside because the outer side of the seal is more curve.

i couldn't do anything more than this because it is raining like hell here.I will cut some woods with the first chance.Here is a vid of the 4200 idling:

[video]http://s1327.beta.photobucket.com/user/LouCi4er/media/MOV00096.mp4.html[/video]

Last edited:
Need Advice on Best Replacement Chain for my new Poulan

Just broke down and bought my 1st saw a Poulan Pro 50cc 2-Cycle 20-in....in a matter of days I've run upon some really nice "hedge" Osage Orange which is rather tough on the chain.
I'm still real new to this Saw, Firewood & getting out in the Woods period deal...BUT I LOVE THE HELL OUTA IT!:rock:

I'm attaching a few pics to see what chain would work best on my 20in bar or do I even have enough bar to tackle these type logs/bottoms.:confused2:

I MUST HAVE & MASTER THIS WOOD...FAILURE TO HARVEST IT...IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!!:chainsaw::hypnotized:

I'd really appreciate it...I would have never recognized and scored on this awesome wood had it not been for the 'STUDS' FROM ABORISTSITE.COM!!!:bowdown:

Thanks & Have Blessed Merry Christmas

ReggieT

Thank you. I am thinking Sears sold a little cheaper than Poulan hence no guards but I may be wrong. This one is the 3400 version and I have always loved the banana bars.

That's a fantastic score Al! You have the "3.0" labeled 3400, which was sold with a 'bogus' lower displacement label (3.0ci....even though it's actually a 3.4ci 3400) at a lower pricepoint. Maybe they omitted the handguard to cut a few pennies. My red 3.4 (3400) has the handguard clamped onto the handlebar. Saw a few of those 3.0 versions when I worked at Sears Service........but they sure didn't look like your 'baby' there.:D

I'll light up a cigar in your stead this weekend while I tinker with my PP330.:cheers:

Just broke down and bought my 1st saw a Poulan Pro 50cc 2-Cycle 20-in....in a matter of days I've run upon some really nice "hedge" Osage Orange which is rather tough on the chain.
I'm still real new to this Saw, Firewood & getting out in the Woods period deal...BUT I LOVE THE HELL OUTA IT!:rock:

I'm attaching a few pics to see what chain would work best on my 20in bar or do I even have enough bar to tackle these type logs/bottoms.:confused2:

I MUST HAVE & MASTER THIS WOOD...FAILURE TO HARVEST IT...IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!!:chainsaw::hypnotized:

I'd really appreciate it...I would have never recognized and scored on this awesome wood had it not been for the 'STUDS' FROM ABORISTSITE.COM!!!:bowdown:

ReggieT

Reggie, in my opinion a 50 cc saw is maxed out with a 20 " bar. Esp. in the hardwood your cutting. Osage Orange or what they call in Texas Horses Apple or Bois D'arc is a very hard wood. I wouldn't go any longer. You might get rid of the safety chain, if you're comfortable with doing so, and getting either a semi-chisel (for dirty wood) or chisel(clean wood). I've had good luck with Woodland Pro from Baileys. Stihl also makes a good chain as well.
Bob

No problem

WOW!!! A 32" on a 4000. I love the 4000, but that might be pushing it a little.
Your gonna be flabbergasted at the 4200.:D I took down another good sized Ash, and bucked it up with my 4200 yesterday. I use a 24" on it with a new loop of Stihl RSC chain. It will cut with the best of em!:msp_thumbup:

:cheers:
Gregg,

Gregg,
I got the saw with three bars and that was the only one that had chains so what the heck! It went thru some big GA red oak logs like butter. Then again, I can prep a chain to work too, but the power is impressive. Haven't started the 4200 yet. Just found an all orig 451 in running condition with orig roller bar.

ReggieT

Where are the pictures of the saw! I'd be using some stihl Rsc in that. Looks clean and hard. Bob had good info above, but I have no experience with woodland pro.

I'm not a stihl guy, but they have amazing chain. I gave away a good 036 pro to a good friend and cut my wood with my green stuff:)

Last edited:
Gregg,
I got the saw with three bars and that was the only one that had chains so what the heck! It went thru some big GA red oak logs like butter. Then again, I can prep a chain to work too, but the power is impressive. Haven't started the 4200 yet. Just found an all orig 451 in running condition w
ith orig roller bar.

I got my 4000 from the PNW and it came with a 28" on it. Never tried any longer on it.

As impressive as a 4000 is, I wish I could be there when you try the 4200. You will have a smile on your face.

I have been looking for a 451 for some time. Found one a while back but it was rough and the guy thought it was made of gold, so I guess he still has it.

Thanks guys

I don't wanna get all weepy or anything, but I just wanted to tell you regulars thank you.

I started this obsession with a "should i buy it" post about a saw just like the cherry grey one above, only it wasn't quite so cherry. Thanks to the encouragement and bluntness of the regular guys on the poulan thread, I now have a bunch of great running saws. Every time I cut firewood or log a bit I have to take a camera because I want to remember the job. I used to hate gathering wood, but just like my dad and pap, it grew on me. I love the time with my kids when they can help and can't wait for the next chance I have to fire back up the saw.

Your generosity with your knowledge and even spare parts, makes it happen. I'll always try to do the same in return.

Thanks guys.
image-3.jpg

I don't wanna get all weepy or anything, but I just wanted to tell you regulars thank you.

I started this obsession with a "should i buy it" post about a saw just like the cherry grey one above, only it wasn't quite so cherry. Thanks to the encouragement and bluntness of the regular guys on the poulan thread, I now have a bunch of great running saws. Every time I cut firewood or log a bit I have to take a camera because I want to remember the job. I used to hate gathering wood, but just like my dad and pap, it grew on me. I love the time with my kids when they can help and can't wait for the next chance I have to fire back up the saw.

Your generosity with your knowledge and even spare parts, makes it happen. I'll always try to do the same in return.

Thanks guys.

so, what's your point?:msp_wink:

Back