HELP! Sell my Dolmar 5001 for a Oleo Mac 162?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I need help in my descision!
I am thinking about changing my arsenal of saws. My situation is the following. I have a Makita=Dolmar 5001 (similar model as the 5100 with limited coil and decompressor). I just bought a Makita 420 on sale and now I have two saws very close together. Yesterday I saw an add for a Efco/Oleo Mac 162 for minus 30%. Now you hopefully understand my dilema. Quality wise both are pro quality so I am not worried about that. Spare parts are not that difficult to aquire.
The wood I cut is usually no problem for the Dolmar. I am in no hurry. I get a lot from tree companies and they usually don't have a lot of problem pieces(i.e. 70 or 80cc typ of wood). Noodling is the way to go.
From a logical point of view I wouldn't need it but as we all know this has nothing to do with logic! :dizzy:

So stay with 42 & 50cc or upgrade to 42 & 62 cc?

What are your ideas to an upgrade or should I stay the same?

Or should I just go buy it, try it and then deside?

Thanks for your input!

Like you don't know what answer you'll get....

When in doubt buy another saw. Duh.

Oh, and BTW the Makita Dolmars aren't very valuable, but I'll give you a pittance for it, just because I feel sorry for 'ya.:jester:

Buy, try, and then decide. The efco may not noodle as well as the dolmar because of the outboard clutch.

Not so sure about that. My Sachs Dolmar 120si, Huskq 288, and Johnsered 2095 all have outboard clutchs and they are noodling s.o.b.s':msp_thumbup:

When in doubt buy another saw. Duh.

Oh, and BTW the Makita Dolmars aren't very valuable, but I'll give you a pittance for it, just because I feel sorry for 'ya.:jester:

Will you also pay for transport? ;)

Why not just buy the 162?

Your Makitas aren't really that close together, and 50cc hardly is the right place to have a "gap" in your line-up! :msp_ohmy:

Makita 5001 = Dolmar 5000 (which is a slightly different version of the 5100S - lower rpm limiting (13.5K vs. 14.5) and a different crank (if memory serves).

Why not just buy the 162?

Your Makitas aren't really that close together, and 50cc hardly is the right place to have a "gap" in your line-up! :msp_ohmy:

Makita 5001 = Dolmar 5000 (which is a slightly different version of the 5100S - lower rpm limiting (13.5K vs. 14.5) and a different crank (if memory serves).

As far as I have understood the major recommendations are usually 20cc between the saws. But then again I might have misunderstood something. :hmm3grin2orange:

Then again I have a Solo 644 new model(45cc/3.5hp), but I left it at my FIL place to have a saw there when I need it and to have room for a new saw. They live 4hrs away and he only has some older saws 041, Contra, etc. that need some tender caring to bring them back to reliability.

Thanks for your help!

As far as I have understood the major recommendations are usually 20cc between the saws. But then again I might have misunderstood something. :hmm3grin2orange:

Then again I have a Solo 644 new model(45cc/3.5hp), but I left it at my FIL place to have a saw there when I need it and to have room for a new saw. They live 4hrs away and he only has some older saws 041, Contra, etc. that need some tender caring to bring them back to reliability.

Thanks for your help!

Solo power specs usually are very "optimistic" on that generation of saws - the 3.5 hp power spec likely is part of that scheme..

If any of your saws should go, that likely is the one (or the 420 :hmm3grin2orange:)....

.... but there is nothing wrong with backup saws, so find out if you really can spare one before you do it.! :smile2:

Another remark; A 20cc gap between 70 and 90cc makes sense, a 20cc gap between 42 and 62cc is a totally different story!

This thread got me looking at these Oleo Mac saws particularly the Efco 199F and the Oleo Mac 999F. Is it possible to get one of these in the states?

I need help in my descision!
I am thinking about changing my arsenal of saws. My situation is the following. I have a Makita=Dolmar 5001 (similar model as the 5100 with limited coil and decompressor). I just bought a Makita 420 on sale and now I have two saws very close together. Yesterday I saw an add for a Efco/Oleo Mac 162 for minus 30%. Now you hopefully understand my dilema. Quality wise both are pro quality so I am not worried about that. Spare parts are not that difficult to aquire.
The wood I cut is usually no problem for the Dolmar. I am in no hurry. I get a lot from tree companies and they usually don't have a lot of problem pieces(i.e. 70 or 80cc typ of wood). Noodling is the way to go.
From a logical point of view I wouldn't need it but as we all know this has nothing to do with logic! :dizzy:

So stay with 42 & 50cc or upgrade to 42 & 62 cc?

What are your ideas to an upgrade or should I stay the same?

Or should I just go buy it, try it and then deside?

Thanks for your input!

The out board clutch should not be a problem. buy It try it

The 420 is a very capable little saw. Mine doesn't mind being buried 16" deep in oak now and then, and it's lighter than the 5100. My 5100 has become my backup saw, able to do most of what the 420 and 7300 can do if needed. I'd go for the 162 if I were in your shoes in a minute. I'm not sure if the Euro 420s have a cat muffler or not, but the US models run much nicer with the cat removed (5 minutes and no welding, just drill a couple spot welds out).

I'll be looking up for the next few days, in case the sparrow misses Dan's house!

We have the cat muffler but on my model all I have to do is take off the muffler and pull it apart! Then the cat insert can be removed. No tools what soever.

Back