Believe i'm getting the shaft...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like the Ol' Sarge used to tell us dumb young privates in the Army,"If yer gonna; live like a man all the nite, ya' gotta get up and live like a man all the day".
Aint tryin' to bust yer balls, BUT, if all your providing is your labor and the farmer is letting you keep the doe, I'd say it aint a bad deal.

The dog scat wasnt a big deal, dressing a gutshot deer I'd say is worse. This job at the farm isn't my main job anymore, I just help out where I can with him. He ran over my bar and chain on my 346 with the tracks of the 450b dozer and he didn't help me out buying a new b+c for that. I'd say I got about 3/8 of the cord done actually. If everything works this time around I should be able to knock it out hopefully somewhat timely manner. I didn't go into work today bossman wouldn't let me cause I gotta flu and he's a freak about sick people being near him..

BWAHAHAHAHA! A hangover just changes everything!

You get paid a lot more than I do for farm work!

As to wood here though, anything I cut, whether if it has to be done or I feel like it, I own. He said so, cool..lotta nice trees here....

Eventually I might sell some, not so far though. I would rather get setup to sell both saw logs and firewood, just no way with what I own to haul/move/deliver/load saw logs, so they all get cut and busted into firewood, so ar for my own future use. And I don't really want to borrow mr bossman's big equipment to do trees, I don't want to "own" the repairs if/when needed. I mean he has big crawlers/excavators/dump trucks/flatbeds/big bucket loaders/forklifts, and etc. Multiples. Heck, there's a variety of conveyors as well. It's tempting and I know I can borrow anything..but don't want to eat the repairs. And he's not interested at all in the tree/wood business. Just happens to own a lot of acreage.

but..if and when..at least I won't be working with a hangover! bwahahah, man I remember some times though...

I use my general assigned to me utility tractor now to go get wood, that's it, and even that I am going to phase out using after my junk project truck is finished next spring. I'll work up from there at that point, see what I can do.

Try being the boss man of a larger operation and have two trucks and several machines break down in about four hours of each other. Just like that I had 30k in repair bills, not to mention about double loss of time while the stuff got fixed.

Point is that problems are relative to the situation.

What you are getting paid is decent money for labor. Sounds like the boss man didn't want to lose money on you. Say you end up making $5 an hour on this job, you are still $110 richer. Unless you had other work to fill that time that paid better you are still money ahead.

Don't doubt you were miserable, but I'm still not seeing how it was a bad deal. So I guess I'll say I can see where it sucked, but that don't mean you don't have to man up.:msp_biggrin:

Mr. HE:cool:

You're not getting the shaft...you're getting educated. Education is expensive but it's worth it. Not real fun sometimes, but worth it.

If you pull the same bone-head move again you might be getting the shaft. But that one will be on you.

And nobody ever died from getting dog#### on their hands. Just don't bite your fingernails.

best part is i come to discover that i had dog scat on my hands from pickin my nose

Try being the boss man of a larger operation and have two trucks and several machines break down in about four hours of each other. Just like that I had 30k in repair bills, not to mention about double loss of time while the stuff got fixed.

Point is that problems are relative to the situation.

What you are getting paid is decent money for labor. Sounds like the boss man didn't want to lose money on you. Say you end up making $5 an hour on this job, you are still $110 richer. Unless you had other work to fill that time that paid better you are still money ahead.

Don't doubt you were miserable, but I'm still not seeing how it was a bad deal. So I guess I'll say I can see where it sucked, but that don't mean you don't have to man up.:msp_biggrin:

Mr. HE:cool:

I enjoy the work and I put my word on doing it so dern straight im gonna finish it, but rest assured i would rather be getting my personal CSM going, got lots of good sized wood on the ground round here from sandy that's waiting to be milled up.

You're getting $110 to block and split 1 cord of wood ? Umm your being seriously overpaid. $60 would actually be a very fair price and 4 hours would be absolute max it should take. You're getting $55 to block it and $55 to split it, I'll take that deal any day. You must have had a great x-mas party !!

yea, my main job at the construction company had a damn good christmas party, open bar, all you can eat food...we got hammmered..its hard to say no when bossman is feeding you shots. it was proberly mixing all them dang drinks that gave me such a bad hangover. my coworker was telling everyone that it was my 21st birthday so lots of people just kept feeding me drinks. and i was double fisting budwisers all night too, the only thing i learned from going to the state college for 2 years was how to drink, and let me tell you i havent forgot.

If the delivered cord is $220, what in the world is he selling it picked up for $110??!! Id be charging at least $170

After hearing what you drank I'm amazed that you were even able to show up for work. AAh but to be your age again with the hard lessons of my age already learned. Life would be so much easier with a do over.!;)

Easy job, maybe maybe not, depends on the individual.

Overpaid Yes
####ty job Yes ;)
Lesson learned PRICELESS... :bang:

With a wood pile like that you should be making some serious pocket money this winter. Don't be a cheap ass and buy some new chains, bar oil, fuel, a tarp, keep the saw, the bar, CLEAN and in good shape son.

He gave you the brass ring to get started now don't drop it in dog #### again. Nuf said.

If the delivered cord is $220, what in the world is he selling it picked up for $110??!! Id be charging at least $170

That's what I don't get either! I fill up my truck with free diesel fuel from the construction company's tank I'd be more than willing to deliver and stack it for double the price

After hearing what you drank I'm amazed that you were even able to show up for work. AAh but to be your age again with the hard lessons of my age already learned. Life would be so much easier with a do over.!;)

I can't remember everything, but I do know I had a lot of jack d, a few drinks this older lady who i kept calling grandma was serving me- red headed slut was the name of that drink, alot of jager bombs, a few glasses of red wine with dinner, girlfriend gave me a white russian, jim beam, crown, and alot of beer...i was real thirsty that night ..and with my coworkers there it was more like a competition to see who could drink the most and I think I might've won. Some pretty good looking (or so I thought at the time) spanish girl was hitting on me and she was giving me shots, until my GF noticed, then it was game over... :frown:

I can't remember everything, but I do know I had a lot of jack d, a few drinks this older lady who i kept calling grandma was serving me- red headed slut was the name of that drink, alot of jager bombs, a few glasses of red wine with dinner, girlfriend gave me a white russian, jim beam, crown, and alot of beer...i was real thirsty that night ..and with my coworkers there it was more like a competition to see who could drink the most and I think I might've won. Some pretty good looking (or so I thought at the time) spanish girl was hitting on me and she was giving me shots, until my GF noticed, then it was game over... :frown:

seems like you lost kid

the only thing i learned from going to the state college for 2 years was how to drink, and let me tell you i havent forgot.

I'll say it again, you give 'em papers and pencils and all they want to do is eat the teacher.

From the sound of it you actually did forget how to drink, otherwise you would have avoided the hangover.:hmm3grin2orange:

awh shucks...I dint think about the after effects bein part of it. yea i definitely didnt get as bad hangovers at college, was way more used to gettin pickled drunk way more frequently.

Back