Chain pain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

struggle

Got stumps?
Reaction score
these have been the 800 lb gorilla in the room for me. Need to get them sharpened and back into service. Its going to take a little while:eek:
a3eha6ub.jpg

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Just get a 5 gallon bucket and soak them good in old gas or other solvent or maybe even ATF. I find it easier to do batch grinding ie. doing all the 1/8" wheel work, then all my 3/16" wheel, then finally do all the rakers with the 1/4" wheel. Hope you have some brews on hand, you've got a few days work there!

Just break out the 4" grinder. ;)

[video=youtube;aVPyV336Fnc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aVPyV336Fnc[/video]

these have been the 800 lb gorilla in the room for me. Need to get them sharpened and back into service. Its going to take a little while:eek:
a3eha6ub.jpg

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Into service for what? Do you know what is what, or did you just find a junk pile?

...and get rid of that silly Talpatalk reference!

There's a scrench hiding in that pile! YEE HAW! :msp_thumbup:

Raker guage too!

Struggle,
Take it or leave it... this is how I do it.

1.) I wire wheel off the loose junk (if you have one)
2.) put chains in an old cake pan
3.) cover in SYNTHETIC ATF/oil
4.) get it hot for several hours minimum (it does smell bad, so wife's oven not the greatest idea). I use the wood burner top...

The synthetic aft is has a very high detergency rate and will cut through and eat up all that rust. I have saved old frozen chain that has laid in barn dirt for 10years this way. I've also heard that WD40 has a liquid rust melter that works quiet well...

Heck, at least you have a grinder! I still do all my chain by hand... :(

I just noticed where my tooth brush went. I will use that tomorrow:laugh:

Most of the chains will fit saws I have if not all of them. I got through the .325 stuff today and made the mistake of counting them:bang: I have 32 chains left to sharpen.

Only one of the chains in the picture has some stiff links the rest of them are pivoting fine and will clean up nicely in the first couple of cuts of wood the way I see it.

I do have a couple of small chains that I'm not sure what they will go on. Maybe mini-macs. I have two here that I have not got to so my plan is to keep after these until everything is sharp some what organized.

Troll I will leave the tap talk reference just to aggravate you as I probably really am not smart enough to figure out how to change it anyway:hmm3grin2orange:

I will pass on the cut off wheel sharpening method. I bet it does work though to a certain degree variable degrees really:msp_sneaky:

Precision. ;)

I have said for years that if a company would marker a jig that held the small grinders for sharpening chains, they would make a fortune with home owners.
Everybody has a small grinder. Think about the profits. I know that I could sell them to a lot of locals.

Later
Dan

Back