028 super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Smith

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
can anyone give me any info on a stihl 028 super. I just bought one today pretty cheap that needs some carb work. I have never seen or used one of these saws and have not heard much about them. Just curious if there is a market out there for them and if they are worth messing with or not. Thanks

The 028 super is a good 50cc saw. It's a pro saw thats older and not as fast as todays saws, but still used by a lot of people and it still has quite a following. It's worth fixing as they sell for about $150-$225 in good running shape.The best bar size is 16" with .325 chain but it will pull a 20" running 3/8 chain, just slow.
If you don't want it let me know what you want to sell it for.

They are a legend of the 50cc saws. They are fantastic firewood saws. Easy to work on and plenty of parts available.

If there were ever a saw I regret selling it was my 028 Super. So yea I guess put me next in line if you don't want it.

well im glad to hear that I got lucky for once and got a decent saw worth having, now the question is how much is wrong with it. my luck it will take more to fix it than its worth. I didnt mind taking a chance on it though as one of my all time favorite saws is the 034 super, Ill keep you posted Thanks

Does it start? If not does it have spark? Compression? Carb adjusted properly?

Start with the little, cheap things like a carb kit and fuel/impulse lines. Then work your way towards more complex and more expensive solutions.

Do a compression check and pull the muffler to check the piston and rings though the exhaust port for scoring. The exhaust side scores first do to heat. I had a Husqvarna 266 that I got once that had decent compression but the rings were welded to the piston and the piston was scored. I don't trust just a compression test alone.

If he compression looks good and you don't see scoring do a pressure/vacuum test. Again search the board to find out how. I on't trust old seals and I especially don't trust old seals that have sat idle for years.

If you have low compression or scoring you should rebuild the saw. If see scoring tear it down and check the damage. If you have aluminum transfer to the cylinder wall you can take it of it muriatic acid. Search this board to find out how. Go over it with 600 grit and oil after rinsing out the acid. Make sure it is perfectly clean before reassembly.

I bought a 028 Super that had been run on gas + ATF mix. It didn't work. The engine seized and I had to do what I described in this post. I bought parts through Northwood Saw for years and have been very happy. My 028 didn't cost much to rebuild. After I cleaned it up I found a low hour saw under the grease and grime so it looks like new. With new internals it runs like new too.

I replaced the piston and rings, carb boot, muffler gasket, impulse line, fuel line, carb kit, cylinder base gasket and fuel filter. Mine had a poorly repaired cracked handle that I replaced with a like-new used one I bought from eBay. I use my 028 for cutting firewood and although it is an old saw it is well made and will serve me for any years to come. They are worth rebuilding. If you don't want it I would love to have it.

Bob

The 028 series is a great firewood saw.

You said yours needs carburetor work. What isn't working?

can anyone give me any info on a stihl 028 super. I just bought one today pretty cheap that needs some carb work. I have never seen or used one of these saws and have not heard much about them. Just curious if there is a market out there for them and if they are worth messing with or not. Thanks

Not much of a saw. Since you are in Missouri too just send it to me (shipping won't be bad) so you won't be wondering about it. Problem solved

My 028 Super is a pretty strong saw after it was totally rebuilt and ported, muff modded. It sounds like a dirt bike when idling.:rock:

otgto4.jpg

2q3nfjn.jpg

My 028 Super is a pretty strong saw after it was totally rebuilt and ported, muff modded. It sounds like a dirt bike when idling.:rock:

otgto4.jpg

2q3nfjn.jpg

wow that is a good looking saw, hopefully mine will clean up half as nice as yours. They said that mine would start with fuel being dumped down carb so I figure its got carb issues and fuel delivery issues hopefully it will be a quick fix and I can get it cleaned up and do a little cutting with it. Im bad about buying saws and getting attached to them and not selling them. oh well its nice to bring them back to life.

Sounds like the carb needs a thorough cleaning. Replace the ribbed fuel pickup tube while it's apart. I have seen at least one on an 028 lately that was severely cracked. :msp_sad:

wow that is a good looking saw, hopefully mine will clean up half as nice as yours. They said that mine would start with fuel being dumped down carb so I figure its got carb issues and fuel delivery issues hopefully it will be a quick fix and I can get it cleaned up and do a little cutting with it. Im bad about buying saws and getting attached to them and not selling them. oh well its nice to bring them back to life.

Good luck getting her running.

Mine is about 22 years old and probably cut at least 1-2 cords a year during that time. The saw never failed to start and the only thing that happened to it was a bolt broke in the anti vibe mount and the knot pulled out of the t handle and I lost the t handle and couldn't start it.:bowdown:

Here's a few pics of the one I picked up at a garage sale last summer .

I have been into two strokes for a long time as I used to race Micro sprints here in the midwest so ive got a good idea what they are capable of. Just here in the last six to seven months Ive taken a shine to chainsaws and just cannot get enough. There is alot that I dont know about them but Im having a blast learning.Ive got several saws now in my collection for no reason at all other that I just want to . Im really looking foward to getting this 028 super going so I can see how it does from what Ive heard on this site I wont be disappointed with it for its size

The super won't run like your 034,but their like a old Mo. mule,treat it right and it will work all day long and not say quit. I have one in my personal collection and one that I'm going to put on CL next week. It has a 16" bar with full 3/8's chain and you can lean on it in the cut and it just keeps throwing chips. If it won't bring $200,I will just put it on the shelf with the other one. I admit that we old guys have a soft spot for the 028's. There are 1000's of them out there still running. I tuned one up for a neighbor last week,he said he bought it new 33 years ago.

thats awesome Jim I love to hear storys like that. Ive not been into saws for a real long time but long enough to have aquired several saws such as a44,46and a 660 and a few smaller saws and my fav is the 034. The more I read on this forum the more I want to get my 28 going I know its not going to be a power house but I just get a kick out of something that just works. Im hoping that its in decent shape and cleanable. The plastic is very dirty but I think it will sand out and polish up pretty good. Ive seen alot of aftermarket piston kits for these saws and it seems likt all of them have a pop up piston, is this common for these saws or is this something people are doing to help them out a little?

thats awesome Jim I love to hear storys like that. Ive not been into saws for a real long time but long enough to have aquired several saws such as a44,46and a 660 and a few smaller saws and my fav is the 034. The more I read on this forum the more I want to get my 28 going I know its not going to be a power house but I just get a kick out of something that just works. Im hoping that its in decent shape and cleanable. The plastic is very dirty but I think it will sand out and polish up pretty good. Ive seen alot of aftermarket piston kits for these saws and it seems likt all of them have a pop up piston, is this common for these saws or is this something people are doing to help them out a little?

Adam only the supers had the pop up piston. My Stihls run the gamut from a 009 to a 090. The 090 needs ignition work and a set of rings. I have several Stihls that need some work,minor to major. I have trouble getting ole Jim to do much work these days. He spends way too much time setting around drinking coffee,reading and surfing the net.:msp_smile: I have a lot of saws besides Stihl,Huskys,Jonnys,Macs,Poulans,etc.

Back