Stump grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinburn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new to this site, but for the past few years I have been doing the stump grinder rental thing, its time I guess to buy my own. it will either be a brush bandit 2150 or a vermeer sc252, does any know if there is a site that has compared either model or should I be looking at another model. I limited by choices by the number of dealers in my area of what I can choose. Any help would be appreciated. Both have good products as I have had both vermeer and brush bandit chippers in my fleet.

cheers

Welcome, fellow Ontarian.
The grand sum total of my stump grinding wisdom (acquired through tribulation) is with my venerable Rayco 1625, which I would happily divorce, except it has no residual value, and it still gets abused maybe 6 X / year.

I'm new to this site, but for the past few years I have been doing the stump grinder rental thing, its time I guess to buy my own. it will either be a brush bandit 2150 or a vermeer sc252, does any know if there is a site that has compared either model or should I be looking at another model. I limited by choices by the number of dealers in my area of what I can choose. Any help would be appreciated. Both have good products as I have had both vermeer and brush bandit chippers in my fleet.

cheers

Welcome,,,,I have owned both, the bandit 2150 would be my choice....

Bob....:cheers:

I used to grind with a 34 hp machine and stepped up to a 66 diesel. OH man what a difference, it took the smaller grinder to get me where Im at now with the rayco rg super 50, grinding stumps now is like a dream, and using greenteeth 1100 series cant find a better way to go. I bought the unit used for $18000. sold my smaller one for 5000. Best thing I ever did. I dont hate grinding now I actually look forward to it as it is always impressive to see just how fast it all goes by by! sometimes you have to start small to get upgrades to go larger. if you can start off right now to a larger diesel machine.... I recommend doing just that! save yourself alot of time and headaches. Just my opinion, spending your money! MerryChristmas happy shopping.

i've been using the rayco rg1631 and rg1635 gas self propelled grinders for the past couple of years and really like them. View attachment 269816View attachment 269817

The 1635 is just a bit more HP and also 2-speed travel. otherwise, they're very similar yet about 30% more productive than the 25hp kohler on a 1625 or a vermeer 252. With whatever size or model you get, if you go with two wheel hydraulic steering vs a single manual steering wheel, it will be much easier to control and steer than the tricycle machines.

One more point to consider: a 25-35hp gas machine weighs around 1100-1300lb. larger diesel machines weigh quite a bit more which can be an issue if you do a lot of grinding on irrigated turf or in landscape beds like I do - bigger machines are more apt to leave ruts when you take off the dual wheels to get into tight spaces. Horsepower vs accessibility is always the tradeoff one has to consider as well as start up cost and maintenance.

i run a morbark d52 and just bought a bandit 2550 xp both are hydrastatic . wont buy another machine with belts. both are deisel and 4x4 . wouldnt waste my time with a vermeer 252 been there and done the one wheel for steering

Lawson's,

Keep us posted on how the 2550XP with the diesel performs for you. What is Bandit getting for the setup you have? Did you get the remote?

Thanks,
Stumper63

didn't get the remote, paid around 33,000 for the machine alot of nice features. 44 hp kubota deisel. the morbark i got a remote for . i will keep you guys posted. looks like they really did their homework.

+1,
I've used the big rayco's for years and never ad them in a dealers shop... Order the parts and have them shipped

I used to grind with a 34 hp machine and stepped up to a 66 diesel. OH man what a difference, it took the smaller grinder to get me where Im at now with the rayco rg super 50, grinding stumps now is like a dream, and using greenteeth 1100 series cant find a better way to go. I bought the unit used for $18000. sold my smaller one for 5000. Best thing I ever did. I dont hate grinding now I actually look forward to it as it is always impressive to see just how fast it all goes by by! sometimes you have to start small to get upgrades to go larger. if you can start off right now to a larger diesel machine.... I recommend doing just that! save yourself alot of time and headaches. Just my opinion, spending your money! MerryChristmas happy shopping.

i've been using the rayco rg1631 and rg1635 gas self propelled grinders for the past couple of years and really like them. View attachment 269816View attachment 269817

The 1635 is just a bit more HP and also 2-speed travel. otherwise, they're very similar yet about 30% more productive than the 25hp kohler on a 1625 or a vermeer 252. With whatever size or model you get, if you go with two wheel hydraulic steering vs a single manual steering wheel, it will be much easier to control and steer than the tricycle machines.

One more point to consider: a 25-35hp gas machine weighs around 1100-1300lb. larger diesel machines weigh quite a bit more which can be an issue if you do a lot of grinding on irrigated turf or in landscape beds like I do - bigger machines are more apt to leave ruts when you take off the dual wheels to get into tight spaces. Horsepower vs accessibility is always the tradeoff one has to consider as well as start up cost and maintenance.

I am a couple of years into my little 27 hp 1100 lb Dingo stumper and we have made thousands of dollars with it and done hundreds and hundreds of stumps. I wouldn't own it without my 65 hp Vermeer that mostly sits in the lot and we maybe do some too big for this little machine ...but ...when the Dingo loader is on the job, so is the stumper and it is so quick on and off and around the yard even if not fast on a big say 40" stump. It will do 30 inchers while smoking a cigarette with one hand. We love it and keep it razor sharp and can change a side of a tooth in about 15 minutes...has 3 sides. Tooth change not much longer.

View attachment 270015

thanks guys, I'm really looking for one that will fit in back yards through gates that is why I'm looking for one that is no wider then 36 inches, I considered Rayco but the nearest service center is like 4 - 5 hours away I know that most of them come with the Kohler motors and we basically do all the servicing our selves as long as we can get parts I don't like supporting them courier companies so that I can get parts there is a reason why they can afford to buy 747 jets.

thanks guys, I'm really looking for one that will fit in back yards through gates that is why I'm looking for one that is no wider then 36 inches, I considered Rayco but the nearest service center is like 4 - 5 hours away I know that most of them come with the Kohler motors and we basically do all the servicing our selves as long as we can get parts I don't like supporting them courier companies so that I can get parts there is a reason why they can afford to buy 747 jets.

my rayco dealer is 4 hours away as well (same as the vermeer dealer) but that doesn't stop me from using their product. my local lawnmower shop can work on the engine and do almost any other repairs as well if I don't have the time. repairs are minimal though if you just do the maintenance and parts are easy enough to get shipped from the dealer.

The rayco dealer i get parts from is around 2 hours away. They have most of the parts i want shipped direct to me from the factory. Dont try to figure out rayco factory shipping costs. One time they charge you $40 for a small little part that comes in a 6"x 6" x 6" box that weighs 4 lbs. The next time you order a cutting wheel, bearings, and lots of heavy stuff and they only charge you $30. I dont get it, neither does the dealer.

The rayco dealer i get parts from is around 2 hours away. They have most of the parts i want shipped direct to me from the factory. Dont try to figure out rayco factory shipping costs. One time they charge you $40 for a small little part that comes in a 6"x 6" x 6" box that weighs 4 lbs. The next time you order a cutting wheel, bearings, and lots of heavy stuff and they only charge you $30. I dont get it, neither does the dealer.

If I buy new and the machine needs warranty work, I'm expected to bring the machine back to the dealer or they send a tech out my way (4 hours) someone has to pay for that. I understand the $30 and $40 thing but if I can avoid paying that I will and instead buy some cheap beer. I contacted the Rayco dealer in the Toronto area but its a little too far for me, unless it was a great deal.

brush bandit 2550xp prices

Any one buy one how much for one w/ remote??????????

another alternative..........portable

Another alternative to getting into smaller spaces is the Magnum by Alpine Machine. It weighs about 88lbs and will grind most any size stump. It would be a good addition to getting into rough hard to get at spots.

Another alternative to getting into smaller spaces is the Magnum by Alpine Machine. It weighs about 88lbs and will grind most any size stump. It would be a good addition to getting into rough hard to get at spots.

If you got all week to grind a stump. To each there own, but i dont get why anyone would want one of them except to grind a stump in the middle of a deck.

I owned a Vermeer SC252. Now I have a SC372. Huge huge difference. Unless you are the one grinding I don't think you can pay someone else and make money with a little grinder. The bigger grinders are 3 or more times faster. With pay plus workers comp that far out weighs the cost of owning a bigger machine. As long as you are somewhat busy. As was stated previously the bigger grinder actually makes grinding stumps pleasureable. I'm swithching to the greenteeth soon too. Excited for that!

Mike

Back