my Bandit 1890 chipper is losing horse powr and stopping the autofeed! suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treecutterjr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have and 04 Bandit 1890.
Caterpillar diesel engine.

Auto-feed kicks in @ 2400 horses (digital display).

But lately (for the last few months) the machine is not reaching the full horsepower. It will sit around 2100 and 2200 when you crank it all the way up. so i have to turn auto-feed off inorder to chip.

I haven't had any issues before. Wondered if anyone else has experienced this?

Does this sound like a fuel pump/ injectors issues?
Does it need a tuneup? (what is a diesel tune-up?

Any suggestions would be super appreciated!

I replied to you somewhere else but here goes again. Start by changing fuel filters. They should be changed when you do your oil changes. When a fuel filter starts getting plugged with moisture and dirt cold weather can compound the problems.

my morbark 2400 did same thing mine was the plug at altenator was dirty and a little loose . cleaned it and crimped the prongs more working good ever sense/

Is the throttle cable adjusted so the lever hits the stopper. Another words is it going as far as it used to? If not like the above poster said filters they could have water. A diesel tune up is expensive new injecters are real expensive prob just a filter or throttle cable if you took care of it.

Last edited:
It was the fuel filters! Thanks guys. Definitely a reminder not to slack on the routine maintenance!

Now put a good diesel treatment /cleaner in the fuel to keep the injectors clean.and change the air filters too! The fuel filter should be changed twice a year spring and fall works .

Last edited:
Back