Need an engineer for a quick question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about how to easily get the new stove down into the basement when I get it, and haul the old one out. I remember as a kid butchering pigs and steers with the tractor holding them up on a big oak beam hanging off the front of the loader. I'm thinking this could be a workable way to to it, as the stairs are straight in front of the back door. Just need to figure out how big of a beam I'll need to hold up a +-500 lb stove 12' out from the tractor. 4x6, 4x8, what? I could probably freehand a beam out of green oak if need be, and cut it into firewood after, but if a standard pine 4x6 is enough, I'll just go buy one.

Otherwise, I'm thinking of laying planks on the stairs and skidding the stoves up/down the stairs on a dolly hooked to a vehicle. It worked OK the last time I switched stoves, just not great.

By no means an eng. but from past exp. stick with the planks and dolly plus some friends. Too much to go wrong fast with the tactor and elevated stove plan.:msp_scared:

I have found for the sake of your back. Some 2X planks, a heavy dolly, (appliance dolly is awesome) and a chain fall attached to truck. Chain fall, roll from back of truck. Then chain fall on hitch, slowly rolling down the planked stairs. This can be done alone, of course it's easier with another guy.

The only problem with using planks is getting the dolly on them while on the steps. Once you do, then it is easy with either a come along on the truck, or just use the truck as one. Some helpers on the downstairs side is a must also, but I am sure you knew that.

If you need help, I have an appliance dolly and could come give you a hand if ya need.

Ted

The only problem with using planks is getting the dolly on them while on the steps. Once you do, then it is easy with either a come along on the truck, or just use the truck as one. Some helpers on the downstairs side is a must also, but I am sure you knew that.

If you need help, I have an appliance dolly and could come give you a hand if ya need.

Ted

Thanks for the offer. I've got a bunch of friends who will work for beer, and a much shorter commute for them as well, so I think that's covered. I've got a plain dolly, but I think my neighbor has a fancy one with the tracks on the back side, have to check.

If I go the plank route, I have a back wall about 6' past the stairs. I can cut a couple more planks to go from the stair planks to the wall to hold them in place.

Just thinking, while I'm moving stuff in and out of the basement, anyone want a treadmill? I've heard of guiys using them to make a firewood conveyor...

Pics or it didn't happen, Steve.

Me and another fellow did that many years ago with a cast iron boiler. I think my mind has blocked most of it out. We did manage to get it done, and heated the house for over 10 years with it before I moved away.

I worked in the moving industry for 15 years. I would NOT use planks they have minds of there own they like to jump under your feet at the worst of times. An appliance dolly will work just fine on stairs without planks underfoot. Not only that but the stairs will also slow the decent. Two guys on the bottom "pushing up hill" not LIFTING one guy on top and it will go very easy and more important you will have control.I have put safes up and down stairs that weighed over 1000# this way with two guys. We had worked together before so we knew what to do and when to do it. More bodies tend to get in the way and not work together. If the guys on the bottom lift and not push the guy on top will have all the weight on the handles. The guy on top needs to talk to the bottom guys and tell them what to do and when to do it. If I was closer I would give you a hand 1/2 hour and we would bee drinking beer.

Sounds like a good time to dig for a walk out basement LOL!!
an old I beam on the front of the tractor loader would be my solution. just hang it and guide it down. easy peasy lemon squeezy!!
as far as size of the beam just do some test lifts out in the yard you will find the one you need.

Fifelaker got it right. You can get in trouble real fast if a plank slips and all that weight has to be stopped. Renting a dolly for half a day is the way to go. Make sure the dolly has straps and your buds have plenty of ballast. :msp_biggrin:

If the guys on top lose control, the guys on the bottom better have good insurance. Just sayin'.

If the guys on top lose control, the guys on the bottom better have good insurance. Just sayin'.

The guys on the bottom have 75% of control. Just take it slow and one step at a time. The guys on the bottom can stop this thing at any time just by pushing up.

Cover steps with plywood...nail it down. Hook stove to tractor with rope or log chain and pull it out. Reverse process with new one going down. 15 min and let beer drinking commence.

Torque=Force x Distance A 500 lb weight a 12 ft distance will exert 6,000 ft lb of torque. Better have a big tractor to safely lift the equivalent of a 3/4 ton truck.

rent a stair climbing dolly

The last co. I worked for had one. We were putting a safe in the basement of a bank when the power went out. The alarms went off, police came (with sidearms drawn) we froze bank officals explained, we were able to breath again. Funny now but not so much then. Those 9mm pistols looked at least 155mm.

I have Never been confused for an engineer, rocket scientist or an Einstein but I would nix the beam idea and just build a small pallet and put wood blocks around the stove legs to lock them in and strap the stove to the pallet also, then rope it up and down the stairs on planks.

P.S. you can also tie the planks from underneath with 2 x 4's to keep them from walking.

rent a stair climbing dolly

+1 on the stair climbing dolly.

I am a mechanical engineer and have moved some very heavy things. I moved a 1200 pound safe using a stair climbing dolly last summer. I wouldn't o it any other way.

I would brace the stairs before attempting a move like this. If they fail everything goes down right now and it won't end well for all involved.

Sounds like a good time to dig for a walk out basement LOL!!
an old I beam on the front of the tractor loader would be my solution. just hang it and guide it down. easy peasy lemon squeezy!!
as far as size of the beam just do some test lifts out in the yard you will find the one you need.

500lb dangling from a beam 12' out sounds like having a tractor standing on its nose. Leverage is an amazing thing.

Harry K

Hello,
When I lived at my second house, I bought a 600 pound gun safe that had to go into the basement. I had a set of concrete steps that went down outside to the basement. I covered the steps with plywood and then strapped the gun safe to a dolly. I lowered the gun safe down flat on the dolly and tied it off to my Ranger. Then I just backed the Ranger up and the gun safe rolled/slid down the plywood to the bottom of the steps. I then just took off all the extra rope and wheeled it in the door to the basement. It was a lot of preparation, but it worked good !!!!!!

Henry and Wanda

500lb dangling from a beam 12' out sounds like having a tractor standing on its nose. Leverage is an amazing thing.

Harry K

Reminds me of the famous Archimedes quote (Mathematician and inventor of ancient Greece, 280-211bc) "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world"

Tom

Latest posts

Back