optimal bar chain for novice ms261 owner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd just roll with .325 on a the 18" bar, that saw will run perfect with that setup.

Agreed. I have tried many combos on my 261, including a 20" E bar, which drives fine but is nose heavy. I think 18" E with 0.325 is the sweet spot.

I just searched (here on AS) about other brand 50 cc saw's are running for a b/c (which I feel have less torque than a MS 261) granted most if not all this quotes (just a sample of quotes) came from people here on AS that never ran a MS 261

"20", .375 full comp chain"

"13" 3/8" bar on the 346....it isn't good for anymore than that anyways"

".375 x 18" Stihl RSC"

"I run a 18" bar on mine"

"I’m running full comp 3/8" on 18"

"18" bar stihl full chisel .375 … keeps me from bending over too much and the saw rips through hardwoods"

"I run 3/8's 18” on my … with no prob"

"16" 3/8"

".325 12”

"The "sweet-spot" for the …, and 20" for the 371/372xp, for balance"

"3/8 18" b&c"

"I bought a 3/8" sprocket and 20'' bar"

"Stihl 23RSC chain... 18” .325"

"…16" bar and chains, but I'm going to stick with the 3/8"

"I feel that the … with 13 is rear heavy"

As you can see it's all over the place you (op) have to find what works best for you in your area and type of wood you cut :msp_wink:

Regarding ES bars: if you have a bunch of saws and a bunch of bars, it may pay to buy all "yellow" ES bars, as they will all share a single replacement sprocket nose part. This is how I do it at work. For the same reason, I use all the same chain: 3/8" pitch, .050" ga, full-comp, semi-chisel. I maintain 25 saws and their attachments, so simplifying my supply chain is kind of important to me!

Good advice, well til this post anyway...

I've owned 026/260 saws. The 261 has a reputation of a bit more "grunt" than its predecessors.

My first 026 ran an 18" .325x .063 bar for years. It ran well, even buried in whatever I could find. From seasoned White Oak on down.

Went to 18" 3/8 x .050 because of most of my other saws were 3/8 x .050, and it kept me from switching grinding wheels as often.
Had to be a bit lighter with the touch, but it cut fine.

If this is an only saw for a while, 18" .325 x .063 will handle very well.
If this is a first saw on your way to a 126 most important to you saw plan, (and most of those saws with be larger cc power plants) I'd recommend 3/8 x .050.

Agreed. I have tried many combos on my 261, including a 20" E bar, which drives fine but is nose heavy. I think 18" E with 0.325 is the sweet spot.

An 18" E bar is slightly front heavy on a 361, so I assume it is on a 261 as well. Even if the 261 is heavy for a 50cc saw, it still is lighter (pho) than the 361.

This is really just an observation, not an issue though. :)

.325 x .063 x 74 DL Stihl Rollmatic E bar and Matching Stihl RM Chain

this is exactly what i got. well the yellow chain.

it does seem a little heavier than the 16" i'm not sure by what the difference is. (oz?)

but after a big stink at the dealer about the cost difference i'm not going back.

this is exactly what i got. well the yellow chain.

it does seem a little heavier than the 16" i'm not sure by what the difference is. (oz?)

but after a big stink at the dealer about the cost difference i'm not going back.

Good choice. That sucks about your dealer. See if there are any others in the neighborhood. Now no more stalling, where are the pics?

After all this talk about the 261; I had to pull mine out this afternoon and go cut something lucky that the neighbors down the road were not home because that tree that fell over across the road is missing now :laugh:

18" .325x.063 is an excellent choice. I'm a little late to this party, but I run .325x.063 on my 024, 026, and 290 and all 16". My 346xp has a 3/8x/.050 as does my Makita DCS540, but I'm not so sure the 346xp wouldn't be happier with .325 like its little brother the 353. I'm talking hardwood cutting rather than softwood.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back