Echo cs500 vs cs530

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

driver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a newcs530 for 475.00 out the door or a cs500 for 500.00 out the door. any advantage over one or the other. The dealer also said I should add a blue liquid -can not remember the name-to the premium gas and oil and not to buy alcohol free gas because the pistons and cyl. turn black .Any advice on the above. This will be my first saw and I am 61 years old.. I was looking at a Husky450.for 360.00 I just do not know. I will be cutting down or cutting downed trees that are about 12 to 15 " across in my 4 acre woods.Thanks for any tips you can give

both are great firewood saws, the 500 is the replacemnet for the 530. both would be very durable for your application.the 500 will have better av, and filtration. the price sounds a little on the high side for both saws. you are quickly approaching husky 550/stihl ms261 territory with 500.00+ price tags yuo were quoted.

I bought a CS530 back in Jan. 09, paid about $435 OTD. Been a great firewood saw, i really like the circular automotive style air filter on the 530. Durable, inexpensive, and easy to clean though it hardly gets dirty. No experience with the 500 but the air filter, two piece i believe, leaves me skeptical. Your dealer should come down on the non current CS530, $400 OTD would be better.

I am located in west central MI.Not much competition for price breaks.Any ideas not including E- bay. And I not sure If should go with a 16 or 18 " bar.

if no ones gonna go cheaper then don't buy it from him. simple as that you can purchase new online as long as it's not stihl. order the dolmar or call baileys for pricing on thier echo's

I have a chance to buy a newcs530 for 475.00 out the door or a cs500 for 500.00 out the door. any advantage over one or the other. The dealer also said I should add a blue liquid -can not remember the name-to the premium gas and oil and not to buy alcohol free gas because the pistons and cyl. turn black .Any advice on the above. This will be my first saw and I am 61 years old.. I was looking at a Husky450.for 360.00 I just do not know. I will be cutting down or cutting downed trees that are about 12 to 15 " across in my 4 acre woods.Thanks for any tips you can give

I followed the advice of folks that have one and went with a Husqvarna 550XP. I am very glad I did! I use mine for firewood, just ran tank #10 through it today. It's a BEAST! Gets stronger every time I use it, and has power to spare. I spent $534 to my door, came with a 20" bar, though I run an 18". It's hard to describe how happy I am with this saw! Spend the extra couple of dollars and get the best. You will thank me later!:hmm3grin2orange:

Oh....and the 550 comes with 3.75HP (more if you do a ten minute muffler mod) and weighs 10.8 lbs. Go with the one you'll be happy with!!!!

Last edited:
I followed the advice of folks that have one and went with a Husqvarna 550XP. I am very glad I did! I use mine for firewood, just ran tank #10 through it today. It's a BEAST! Gets stronger every time I use it, and has power to spare. I spent $534 to my door, came with a 20" bar, though I run an 18". It's hard to describe how happy I am with this saw! Spend the extra couple of dollars and get the best. You will thank me later!:hmm3grin2orange:

Oh....and the 550 comes with 3.75HP (more if you do a ten minute muffler mod) and weighs 10.8 lbs. Go with the one you'll be happy with!!!!

3.75 hp is right where the good 50cc saws have been for 10 years now, at least this one is a little lighter if the specs are true. Steve

3.75 hp is right where the good 50cc saws have been for 10 years now, at least this one is a little lighter if the specs are true. Steve

I was basically talking with no knowledge of the Echo.....I looked 'em up, seems like a very nice saw for the money. I guess I'm like everybody else here: I am very partial to the saw I have!

I'm glad I'm here and learning some things...thanks!

I was basically talking with no knowledge of the Echo.....I looked 'em up, seems like a very nice saw for the money. I guess I'm like everybody else here: I am very partial to the saw I have!

I'm glad I'm here and learning some things...thanks!

Thanks for the thruth and I sure wouldn't mind owning a 550xp, one of very few saws that got lighter lately. When one gets 60+ wieght means a lot. Steve

Troll, you know nothing about Echo saws.. I'd go with the CS500p, It's a lot lighter than the Makita above and is the lightest decent 50cc made unless the new Husky 550 is as light. I think list price on the CS500p is $469, still hoping for some new ones to show up on Ebay for $350 or so. Steve
Apart from the general contempt for Echo as a saw brand, I know that the 530 has a clamshell style engine, and that the 500 is rated at only 2.1 kW/2.9 hp in the UK - hardly impressive when the competition is rated at 2.8 kW/3.8 hp....

Apart from the general contempt for Echo as a saw brand, I know that the 530 has a clamshell style engine, and that the 500 is rated at only 2.1 kW/2.9 hp in the UK - hardly impressive when the competition is rated at 2.8 kW/3.8 hp....

wait i'm having deja vu:msp_ohmy:

Troll Explain why a CS500 cuts right with or maybe a HAIR slower than the best Stihl and Husky 50cc saws. And is lighter and handles better. I'd guess the KW HP tranlation got mixed up, more like 2.8 kw 3.75 hp that would make SENCE. Steve

Last edited:
That a typo, or wth was the dealer telling this person (op)
regarding the alcohol and black piston and cylinder ??

" The dealer also said I should add a blue liquid -can not remember the name-to the premium gas and oil and not to buy alcohol free gas because the pistons and cyl. turn black "

Both of those Echos are real good saws. I'd get them with an 18" bar. I do think the 500p is maybe the better option, but I'd suggest handling each one and decide which feels better in your hands.

Back