Echo cs500 vs cs530

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully neither, as the price is too close to some real saws....:alien2:

Sawtroll, we dang sure agree on this one and I'm now involved with a Echo/Stihl/Shindawia dealer, I was really excited about the 500P until I ran our first one, out of the box they are set at 11,800, they have lowered the compression ratio down to 5:1 on some of their saws, not even in the ball park with a 346 or 261, just disappointed, they are the first brand you see when you walk in our store and they get out sold 10:1 can't hardly resell the dang things used, have a cream puff one owner 510 the saw prolly don't have 20 hours on it, an elderly man bought it for an ice storm clean up a couple years ago and brought it in for us to buy, we can't even get 250.00 for it with a couple new chains, the saw looks new, I'd ten times rather have an old 302 echo, when Echo was a real saw, we carry the line mainly for Shinny trimmers, and a few accounts buy Echo trimmers some of which are rather good, but I thought we were going to see a real increase in performance with the merger, then you see the brand whored on the internet at or below our dealer cost and know they have gone to the big boxes. I agree with you 100% spend a few more bucks and buy a real saw, you ought to try getting warranty approval out of them, it is a joke compared to Stihl.

Sawtroll, we dang sure agree on this one and I'm now involved with a Echo/Stihl/Shindawia dealer, I was really excited about the 500P until I ran our first one, out of the box they are set at 11,800, they have lowered the compression ratio down to 5:1 on some of their saws, not even in the ball park with a 346 or 261, just disappointed, they are the first brand you see when you walk in our store and they get out sold 10:1 can't hardly resell the dang things used, have a cream puff one owner 510 the saw prolly don't have 20 hours on it, an elderly man bought it for an ice storm clean up a couple years ago and brought it in for us to buy, we can't even get 250.00 for it with a couple new chains, the saw looks new, I'd ten times rather have an old 302 echo, when Echo was a real saw, we carry the line mainly for Shinny trimmers, and a few accounts buy Echo trimmers some of which are rather good, but I thought we were going to see a real increase in performance with the merger, then you see the brand whored on the internet at or below our dealer cost and know they have gone to the big boxes. I agree with you 100% spend a few more bucks and buy a real saw, you ought to try getting warranty approval out of them, it is a joke compared to Stihl.

From reports on here the CS500 runs real close to a 346xp dolmar 5100 with the 261 being a bit stronger, I'd like to se your bs 5:1 compression on a spec sheet. Also when dealer push junk homeowner Stihl saws they get sold more. Steve

From reports on here the CS500 runs real close to a 346xp dolmar 5100 with the 261 being a bit stronger, I'd like to se your bs 5:1 compression on a spec sheet. Also when dealer push junk homeowner Stihl saws they get sold more. Steve

I'll try to remember to post all the compression ratio's right off the Echo dealer spec sheets, you'll be shocked won't be back in the shop until Weds. I certainly was, we don't push any brand, shoot the Echo's generally have lower price points, customer's make their own mind up, shoot they can buy them cheaper off the net than we can buy them off our distributor.
I know you love your Echo's and respect that, after being around some of the older models I really Arespect them, love the little 302, heck of a little saw, I just don't see the quality from the 500P down, it's hard to sell them when people throw the ebay prices in your face when you are invoiced more than the ebay price new in the
box. From a dealers perspective you should try the warranty process sometime, not customer or dealer orientated at all compared to other brands, it's a real pita.
If pricing structures don't get resolved, they are going to kill the dealer base, buy them off ebay and say the heck with the warranty, cheaper than dealers can sell them.
Resale does absolutely suxx on them compared to either Husky or Stihl just a fact. Shoot we've got an Echo twin I'd love to see someone else own sitting on the shelf.

CS500p, It's a lot lighter than the Makita above and I think list price on the CS500p is $469, still hoping for some new ones to show up on Ebay for $350 or so. Steve

If someone could hit that $350 price point, that would be great.

But for nearly even money, I'm going JonseVarna.

Would love to demo an ms261C, or an ms241C.

ok dont believe that dealer about buying ethanol gas.the only thing that will turn the piston black is the oil.the blue liquid is just a gimmick to try and help cover up the effects of the ethanol.just remember ethanol=bad.
the gas containing the ethanol (and water) won't wash away the effects of carbon build up from the mix oil.the only way to avoid carbon build up is good mix oil.

Troll, you know nothing about Echo saws.. I'd go with the CS500p, It's a lot lighter than the Makita above and is the lightest decent 50cc made unless the new Husky 550 is as light. I think list price on the CS500p is $469, still hoping for some new ones to show up on Ebay for $350 or so. Steve

Troll Explain why a CS500 cuts right with or maybe a HAIR slower than the best Stihl and Husky 50cc saws. And is lighter and handles better. I'd guess the KW HP tranlation got mixed up, more like 2.8 kw 3.75 hp that would make SENCE. Steve

:agree2:

Troll Explain why a CS500 cuts right with or maybe a HAIR slower than the best Stihl and Husky 50cc saws. And is lighter and handles better. I'd guess the KW HP tranlation got mixed up, more like 2.8 kw 3.75 hp that would make SENCE. Steve

There was an Aussie Echo site that used to post the hp numbers as KW ones, and then multiply them once again with 1.36 to make "new" hp numbers (that site was once liked up here, and may have mislead some to believe Echo saws make decent power). I'm very sure that the specs on the UK Echo site isn't a mix-up (the other way, like you suggested). If you look closely at the porting of Echo saws, it becomes very obvious that they can't make really decent power - and that is of course the reason that they don't post any power specs on most of their web-sites.

That has happened before, even though you may not have notised, and it surely will happen again! ;)

It surely will just wait until I post their compression ratio's, I haven't seen a piece of paper yet at our dealership that post hp numbers, the biggest joke is ALL Echo saws are professional grade according to their literature, talk about misleading the consumer, at least Husky and Stihl admit they have homeowner, farm/ranch and pro saws.

I am mainly a Stihl man, but that's for their pro saws. I'd take an Echo (any Echo) before I'd buy a homeowner grade Stihl. I have compared Echos and homeowner Stihls at the same price points, and there's no question in my mind the Echos are better made saws.

There was an Aussie Echo site that used to post the hp numbers as KW ones, and then multiply them once again with 1.36 to make "new" hp numbers (that site was once liked up here, and may have mislead some to believe Echo saws make decent power). I'm very sure that the specs on the UK Echo site isn't a mix-up (the other way, like you suggested). If you look closely at the porting of Echo saws, it becomes very obvious that they can't make really decent power - and that is of course the reason that they don't post any power specs on most of their web-sites.

Run one then tell us what you think of it.;)

I'm just curious, have you ran a 500p?

I run a 500p when time allwos 18 inch bar and the thing screams. All I have done is open up the muffler and richened it up a touch. Was spinning at 12000rpm in the summer hopping it picks up a little bit come this winter. I have never run the stihl of husky but for a firewood saw my 500 works for me.

I run a 500p when time allwos 18 inch bar and the thing screams. All I have done is open up the muffler and richened it up a touch. Was spinning at 12000rpm in the summer hopping it picks up a little bit come this winter. I have never run the stihl of husky but for a firewood saw my 500 works for me.

Thanks! But that question really wasn't directed @ you.

I'm glad the saw works great for you, I've never ran the 500p, but would like to.

Whatever those bs HP numbers say Echo saws cut right with Pro Stihl and Husky saws, for sure after both have been muff modded as Echo saws come with a clogged up muff. Open your eyes and watch some vids on here and youtube, also have been good reports at GTG . Explain why my little CS400 40cc cuts about 1 second slower in a 16 second cut than the best running o29 (3.8hp) I had for a while, and why any on my CS510 -CS520 Echo saws cut way faster than the 029 ms290 3.8 hp saws,not even close. Indiana you can explain that to me also and why about 99% on here like thier Echo saws, also don't give me that crap about dealers not PUSHING homeowner Stihl saws, I bet at least 9 out of 10 dealers that sell Stihl will head anyone that walks into the door right to a MS290, most likely Stihl's highest profit saw. You telling me you don't push Stihl is just pure BS, look at the bottom of you post. Steve

Last edited:
Back