Echo cs500 vs cs530

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote from stihl023/5
Run one then tell us what you think of it.

I certainly will not, why would anyone want to?

Where is the closest dumpster? :msp_confused:

He certainly will not. That means all Troll writes about Echo is paperwisdom.
We cannot take comments serious from someone that ignores a brand and refuses to use or at least try them.
This attitude means also that he will not try other models that he does not like.
A meaning cannot be formed on paperwisdom. For serious comments you need practical experience.

From what i have seen, Troll writes nice.
But from this reaction on, i cannot serious rely on his meanings and comments.

Ignoring, refusing to try, that is not a sign of wisdom.
More of an arrogant attitude, wanting to have the last word on a meaning that has no base.

For me Troll has fallen of his socle.

Greetings Jos.

Quote from stihl023/5
Run one then tell us what you think of it.

He certainly will not. That means all Troll writes about Echo is paperwisdom.
We cannot take comments serious from someone that ignores a brand and refuses to use or at least try them.
This attitude means also that he will not try other models that he does not like.
A meaning cannot be formed on paperwisdom. For serious comments you need practical experience.

From what i have seen, Troll writes nice.
But from this reaction on, i cannot serious rely on his meanings and comments.

Ignoring, refusing to try, that is not a sign of wisdom.
More of an arrogant attitude, wanting to have the last word on a meaning that has no base.

For me Troll has fallen of his socle.

Greetings Jos.

You can not rely on hp specs. I wish I could remember where I read it but some manufacturers of small engine were involved in a lawsuit over rated hp numbers and lost a good deal of money. I have a log splitter with a replacement Briggs engine, 675 series that nowhere does it mention horespower.

This is the only data(incl. KW) that I can offer. But not all machines in question are available. I only know that my Stihl dealer is really enthusiastic about Echo, but as everyone he also has to live on something.

ECHO Mittelstarke Motorsägen

I haven't run a CS500p yet but for sure will have one soon. If they as much power as the CS510 520 or 530 saws that kick a 3.8 MS290 bad they'll do good. Steve

I've never run the echo but if the 500 runs right with,or close to,a 346,5100,261,then why are you using the 290 as the basis of comparison?Just curious.

I've never run the echo but if the 500 runs right with,or close to,a 346,5100,261,then why are you using the 290 as the basis of comparison?Just curious.

I'm going other reports on here that the 500 runs with those saws, I don't have those other saws here to compare or I would. I do have or did have a 029,290, Rancher 55, Efco 152, Shinny 488 and my Cs520 saws cut WAY faster than all of those to the point I won't even run them. Steve

Yes I have, One of the local Echo dealers lives across the lake. And my BIL. has one. I have run the 600 also and own a 400!...

Would you say you liked it As Well As/ About The Same/ or Better Than a ms250/025?

How would the 500p compare to other 50cc saws that you have significant run-time on?

I'm not 'digging' at you, I'm really curious.

Would you say you liked it As Well As/ About The Same/ or Better Than a ms250/025?

How would the 500p compare to other 50cc saws that you have significant run-time on?

I'm not 'digging' at you, I'm really curious.

The 250 025 are 45cc So comparing them on power is difficult. The Echo runs out well I would love to have one. It lacks nothing in comparison with other 50cc saws.:msp_thumbsup:

Indiana you can explain that to me also and why about 99% on here like thier Echo saws, also don't give me that crap about dealers not PUSHING homeowner Stihl saws, I bet at least 9 out of 10 dealers that sell Stihl will head anyone that walks into the door right to a MS290, most likely Stihl's highest profit saw. You telling me you don't push Stihl is just pure BS, look at the bottom of you post. Steve

Let me share my story about Stihl/Echo dealers. Last fall when Hurricane Irene hit, I was in need of a chainsaw before the storm, and none could be found. I was stuck using my Dad's old 1972 Poulan, which is a fine saw, but was temperamental (I later gave it a thorough rebuild). On top of that, I hadn't used a chainsaw in many years.

A few days after the storm, when stock was replenished at local dealers (we are about 50 miles from the Stihl factory so Stihl reacted quickly) I went to the local place that sells multiple brands of power equipment, including Echo and Stihl. For my needs and budget, I focused on the Stihl MS-250 and Echo CS-400, mainly because both were in stock at the $300 price point with an 18" bar/chain.

I remember asking the guy why the Echo, being 5cc smaller, was the same price, and he gave me a smile. He said most people go for the 250 just because of that, since it seems like more saw for the dollar and even looks bigger/beefier. But then we went into details like the construction, hour ratings, oil capacity, etc…, and I paid attention to many of the details like the switchgear, plastic, etc. And then I ran both saws. The 250 was loud and clumsy and stingy with oil, but definitely a touch more powerful. The Echo was quiet, more comfortable to use, oiled well, and felt like a higher quality saw. In the end, I liked the Echo better for my $300.

A few months later I was shopping for a bigger saw and again considered Stihl and Echo. I tried out the Stihl 290 and 261 and the Echo 500p. Also visited the Husky dealer to try the 346xp. This time around, Stihl got my business with the 261. The 500p and 346xp were lighter and more precise, but this time I was looking for a beefy torquey saw and also had more of a budget to work with.

If I was back to a smaller budget for a lighter saw, the 500p would have won out for sure -- again it makes Stihl saws like the 250 and 290 look like plastic boat anchors, and it is very competitive against the 346xp (same light precise feel too).

I think given the facts, any considerate shopper can definitely see the pros and cons of Echo versus Stihl when shopping side by side. Someone just looking at cc and price, and brand name, will probably go right for the Stihl and not give it much thought.

I still use my Echo 400 a lot these days -- even when using my Stihl 261 and 461 as main saws for land clearing work with my tractor at our new property, the little Echo always comes in handy and is the better option for a lot of things. It's reliable, consistently easy starting every time, and takes a beating. I had the chance to run a neighbor's 250 a couple weeks ago, and it reminded me how much nicer of a saw the Echo is. The 250 was loud, temperamental, and not real enjoyable to use.

Last edited:
Let me share my story about Stihl/Echo dealers. Last fall when Hurricane Irene hit, I was in need of a chainsaw before the storm, and none could be found. I was stuck using my Dad's old 1972 Poulan, which is a fine saw, but was temperamental (I later gave it a thorough rebuild). On top of that, I hadn't used a chainsaw in many years.

A few days after the storm, when stock was replenished at local dealers (we are about 50 miles from the Stihl factory so Stihl reacted quickly) I went to the local place that sells multiple brands of power equipment, including Echo and Stihl. For my needs and budget, I focused on the Stihl MS-250 and Echo CS-400, mainly because both were in stock at the $300 price point with an 18" bar/chain.

I remember asking the guy why the Echo, being 5cc smaller, was the same price, and he gave me a smile. He said most people go for the 250 just because of that, since it seems like more saw for the dollar and even looks bigger/beefier. But then we went into details like the construction, hour ratings, oil capacity, etc…, and I paid attention to many of the details like the switchgear, plastic, etc. And then I ran both saws. The 250 was loud and clumsy and stingy with oil, but definitely a touch more powerful. The Echo was quiet, more comfortable to use, oiled well, and felt like a higher quality saw. In the end, I liked the Echo better for my $300.

A few months later I was shopping for a bigger saw and again considered Stihl and Echo. I tried out the Stihl 290 and 261 and the Echo 500p. Also visited the Husky dealer to try the 346xp. This time around, Stihl got my business with the 261. The 500p and 346xp were lighter and more precise, but this time I was looking for a beefy torquey saw and also had more of a budget to work with.

If I was back to a smaller budget for a lighter saw, the 500p would have won out for sure -- again it makes Stihl saws like the 250 and 290 look like plastic boat anchors, and it is very competitive against the 346xp (same light precise feel too).

I think given the facts, any considerate shopper can definitely see the pros and cons of Echo versus Stihl when shopping side by side. Someone just looking at cc and price, and brand name, will probably go right for the Stihl and not give it much thought.

I still use my Echo 400 a lot these days -- even when using my Stihl 261 and 461 as main saws for land clearing work with my tractor at our new property, the little Echo always comes in handy and is the better option for a lot of things. It's reliable, consistently easy starting every time, and takes a beating. I had the chance to run a neighbor's 250 a couple weeks ago, and it reminded me how much nicer of a saw the Echo is. The 250 was loud, temperamental, and not real enjoyable to use.

Sounds like you didn't muff modd your CS400, huge improvement with that but sure can understand if you want it to be quiet. Steve

I certainly will not, why would anyone want to?

Where is the closest dumpster? :msp_confused:

Niko, with your :poop: and :deadhorse:,

you are certainly living up to the second half of your user name--Saw Troll.

To be fair, I must say that you do have some nice chainsaws. To make your arsenal complete you need to add a muffler modded CS-520. :poke:

You can not rely on hp specs. I wish I could remember where I read it but some manufacturers of small engine were involved in a lawsuit over rated hp numbers and lost a good deal of money. I have a log splitter with a replacement Briggs engine, 675 series that nowhere does it mention horespower.

it's hard to advertise on something that doesn't technically exist!! HP=Torque X Time. so they just kept changing the time and "passing" emmisions hehe. until the EPA caught wind of it and shut em down...now they can only advertise torque.

Whatever those bs HP numbers say Echo saws cut right with Pro Stihl and Husky saws, for sure after both have been muff modded as Echo saws come with a clogged up muff. Open your eyes and watch some vids on here and youtube, also have been good reports at GTG . Explain why my little CS400 40cc cuts about 1 second slower in a 16 second cut than the best running o29 (3.8hp) I had for a while, and why any on my CS510 -CS520 Echo saws cut way faster than the 029 ms290 3.8 hp saws,not even close. Indiana you can explain that to me also and why about 99% on here like thier Echo saws, also don't give me that crap about dealers not PUSHING homeowner Stihl saws, I bet at least 9 out of 10 dealers that sell Stihl will head anyone that walks into the door right to a MS290, most likely Stihl's highest profit saw. You telling me you don't push Stihl is just pure BS, look at the bottom of you post. Steve

The 290 is one of the lowest margin saws in the line and is actually discontinued. The 291 has taken it's place, nope not pushing Stihl, puching the fact that the majority are made in the USA by American workers, by a company that continues to invest in the American worker, they could have buil their new bar plant anywhere in the world but they chose VA, now they have 29 acres under roof at VA Beach and planning on expanding even more. They have found the American worker can make a product that is as good or better than any made anywhere in the world. Answer this, as a Echo dealer would you get tired of people bringing in printed off ebay pricing on saws new in the box that are priced cheaper than your cost? Their distro is jacked up to say the least. You can buy them direct from Echo on line, down at Home Depot, regional farm chains like Orscelons here in Missouri, off fleabay, do they have to carry parts or have techs to support them like a dealer, no they don't have to have that expense. Just get on ebay of go to any dealer, Echo saws won't hold a fraction of the resale value that Husky or Stihl does.
Do you really agree that 271's,310's,352's etc are really professional grade saws as they advertise, not hardly, every brand has it's turds, but you need to stand on the other side of the counter to fully understand their distro mentality as well as the warranty issues. I can walk out the back door and cut with any saw I want to on any given day, I'm just not impressed, are they cheaper, yea, will the new Echo's be around for twenty/thirty years like the old ones I don't think so, try to go to your dealer and order new oem parts for your
520 twenty years from now, they won't be there like the other two major players.

Sawtroll, we dang sure agree on this one and I'm now involved with a Echo/Stihl/Shindawia dealer, I was really excited about the 500P until I ran our first one, out of the box they are set at 11,800, they have lowered the compression ratio down to 5:1 on some of their saws, not even in the ball park with a 346 or 261, just disappointed, they are the first brand you see when you walk in our store and they get out sold 10:1 can't hardly resell the dang things used, have a cream puff one owner 510 the saw prolly don't have 20 hours on it, an elderly man bought it for an ice storm clean up a couple years ago and brought it in for us to buy, we can't even get 250.00 for it with a couple new chains, the saw looks new, I'd ten times rather have an old 302 echo, when Echo was a real saw, we carry the line mainly for Shinny trimmers, and a few accounts buy Echo trimmers some of which are rather good, but I thought we were going to see a real increase in performance with the merger, then you see the brand whored on the internet at or below our dealer cost and know they have gone to the big boxes. I agree with you 100% spend a few more bucks and buy a real saw, you ought to try getting warranty approval out of them, it is a joke compared to Stihl.

The 290 is one of the lowest margin saws in the line and is actually discontinued. The 291 has taken it's place, nope not pushing Stihl, puching the fact that the majority are made in the USA by American workers, by a company that continues to invest in the American worker, they could have buil their new bar plant anywhere in the world but they chose VA, now they have 29 acres under roof at VA Beach and planning on expanding even more. They have found the American worker can make a product that is as good or better than any made anywhere in the world. Answer this, as a Echo dealer would you get tired of people bringing in printed off ebay pricing on saws new in the box that are priced cheaper than your cost? Their distro is jacked up to say the least. You can buy them direct from Echo on line, down at Home Depot, regional farm chains like Orscelons here in Missouri, off fleabay, do they have to carry parts or have techs to support them like a dealer, no they don't have to have that expense. Just get on ebay of go to any dealer, Echo saws won't hold a fraction of the resale value that Husky or Stihl does.
Do you really agree that 271's,310's,352's etc are really professional grade saws as they advertise, not hardly, every brand has it's turds, but you need to stand on the other side of the counter to fully understand their distro mentality as well as the warranty issues. I can walk out the back door and cut with any saw I want to on any given day, I'm just not impressed, are they cheaper, yea, will the new Echo's be around for twenty/thirty years like the old ones I don't think so, try to go to your dealer and order new oem parts for your
520 twenty years from now, they won't be there like the other two major players.

1. You should not bash what you sell
2. So how long has Echo already been around?

I stand on the other side everday. the made in america bs is unbeleivable the should say ASSEMBLED IN THE US. you cannot tout quality of a brand for as long as they are using chinese cylinders that look worse than the AM kits PERIOD. if people buy there saws online and there arent dealer setup(which we do for free obviously when they buy from us) and they run them and break em, echo will ask us if it was a setup issue. if it is we say yes then then the receipt for joe blows ebay equip store gets sent...and 9/10 times no warranty! a manufacturer is only required to make parts for 7 years after a model leaves the market, and with the tightening budgets you can be sure stihl is cutting support for older models. all i'm saying is the pot shouldn't call the kettle black cause they are both making coffee and everybody is enjoying.

i personally won't bother with a stihl saw unless it says MAHLE on the cyl....just preference i guess

Last edited:
Sounds like you didn't muff modd your CS400, huge improvement with that but sure can understand if you want it to be quiet. Steve

In this case, I would rather have a 550xp and not have to mod it....just sayin.

Also, I doubt that either of the two echos mentioned can cut as fast as a 550, or match the ergonomics of the 550.

Also, the cs 400, while not a major power house, is a well built comfy saw with decent power and great features....but I like my 435 better for the money.

Back