Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever your firewood looks like its better than this...
firmstone-lakewood-heating-oil-truck.jpg

:rock::rock::rock::rock:

If the wood is dried in a shed, without direct sun exposure, does it keep that 'freshly split' color? Or does it have to be kiln dried?

I cut and split for my own use, so it's not a big deal. Just curious when I see all those stretch wrapped bundles at the gas station. They would not sell wood that looks like mine, due to the aesthetics.

Philbert

Just let the dog out for a shat. My deck is above the walk out basement, looking up at the joists, I noticed a gray patch line at every space between the boards. Got to be the water.

On the shady side of the house. no sun, but still light. I do have an open ended shelter logic, lots of sun no water, no discoleration.

View attachment 270693View attachment 270694 Not very good with attaching pics so wish me luck. Picture with some green in trees is wood pile last spring. Got too hot so I started working wood about 5 weeks ago. Did not get done because of sloppy wet snow today. Work is getting real busy so will probably take rest of winter to finish.

that fire is a little close to your hard work... don't you think?

I remember kerosene at 25 cents per gallon. It was used in mobile home furnaces back in the day.

We've had the ends of black gum rounds turn dark after they'd been setting a few months. I'm not sure why. The sides of the splits are a suntan color but the ends are black as sin.

I remember kerosene at 25 cents per gallon. It was used in mobile home furnaces back in the day.

When I was a kid we had a kerosene burner in the house. 55 gallon drum outside on a stand. I don't know what my folks paid for kero back then. You can hardly fine it around here. I have to drive many miles to buy kero for my portable garage heater. And it AIN'T cheap. Worse than diesel. I'd burn that but it smokes too much. :msp_mellow:

When I was a kid we had a kerosene burner in the house. 55 gallon drum outside on a stand. I don't know what my folks paid for kero back then. You can hardly fine it around here. I have to drive many miles to buy kero for my portable garage heater. And it AIN'T cheap. Worse than diesel. I'd burn that but it smokes too much. :msp_mellow:

Mac, most around here put up with the smell/smoke of diesel in the torpedo heaters. Off road diesel is around $3.70, haven't looked at prices on kero lately, but it was somewhere north of $5 last I noticed, and buying it by the jug in the hardware store is much worse yet.

I run a vent free propane heater in my ice shack, and I'd consider one in a garage as well.

No experience with black gum. I'm assuming that this is due to sap/etc. being drawn to the exposed ends and oxidizing? Were they exposed to the sun or in a covered wood pile?

Thanks.

Philbert

I'm guessing sap oxidizing and perhaps mold. It's thick enough to scrape off with a fingernail. The rounds were stacked out in the open with no cover. Splits are the same way.

Ah... I sure remember that. We were newcomers to the neighborhood, house was built in the mid-50s and had a fuel oil furnace. A long, winding road 'way out in the sticks of Chesapeake, VA. Few folks out there had indoor plumbing, let alone forced air heat.

Wood burners were popular. Some of the neighbors heated with kerosene stoves. Big, hulking things with a carburetor on the back where the fuel line attached. Inside was a burn pot with a hole at the bottom where the kero flowed in. They were terribly inefficient and made a lot of soot but they kept you warm.

I haven't seen K2 sold at the pump in many a year. It was dirt-cheap and a lot of people used it to burn grass and weeds out of their ditches. It was used in kerosene lamps. K1, dyed red now for wick type space heaters is far overpriced. I wouldn't pay that much for kero. :eek:

Last edited:
I run a vent free propane heater in my ice shack, and I'd consider one in a garage as well.

I've been giving serious consideration to doing the same. The local LP vender doesn't fill walk-in tanks any more, so you have to go to one of those "trade-a-tank" places. Pricey.

I haven't seen K2 sold at the pump in many a year. It was dirt-cheap and a lot of people used it to burn grass and weeds out of their ditches. It was used in kerosene lamps. K1, dyed red now for wick type space heaters is far overpriced. I wouldn't pay that much for kero. :eek:

We used to buy kero at a local gas stop/minute market. They closed up last year. It wasn't cheap, but ya didn't have to drive far to get it.

Back