Stihl MS461 R

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That had been my expierence as well in oak the torque is incredible, much stronger than my 460 before it was ported, I can't wait until the 461 CM rolls out, I think we will see it sell better than the 660 in our part of the country.

This may very well be so. However in the last 9 years on AS, I've seen new saw come out and get hyped up, only to fall flat when people really start using them and comparing them to older/different models. Perception is a powerful thing, add in the excitement of a new toy, and sometimes we get ahead of ourselves and make claims with absolutely no real facts involved. I'm not saying that's happening with the 461, I personally haven't even ran one yet, so I really don't know.

Andre.

Andre, the 461 really does have the torque these guys are describing. It's amazing how you can lean on it. Mine was MMd only. The two ported ones I ran were the very first ones to be ported. While still torquey, IMHO, they didn't turn into the hotrod that I expect from a ported saw. I'm hoping someone cracks the code to getting more RPMs out of them. When and if we do, then I might jump on the band wagon. I've yet to port one myself. But, for the typical user, it's already a fantastic saw.

Andre, the 461 really does have the torque these guys are describing. It's amazing how you can lean on it. Mine was MMd only. The two ported ones I ran were the very first ones to be ported. While still torquey, IMHO, they didn't turn into the hotrod that I expect from a ported saw. I'm hoping someone cracks the code to getting more RPMs out of them. When and if we do, then I might jump on the band wagon. I've yet to port one myself. But, for the typical user, it's already a fantastic saw.

To be argumentative:msp_smile:, with the right chain any saw can be made to feel torquey. Really I'd like to run one just to see for myself. When is the next gtg? lol.

To be argumentative:msp_smile:, with the right chain any saw can be made to feel torquey. Really I'd like to run one just to see for myself. When is the next gtg? lol.

Agreed.

I'm surely not saying its the second coming. To me, in the real world of felling and bucking (especially with cottonwood) I want a saw that pulls through snags, swelling kerfs and more importantly, handles an operator that is more in tune with the tree than paying attention to a peaky power band. Torque is my interest and that is why no stock 346 has ever stayed on the tree crew I work with. By all means not knocking the 46, they just tend to be peaky stock.

So far this saw has my attention and the build quality is second to none.

Still should have had "air injection" :angry: Like the new avitar btw :rock:

Last edited:
If a non stihl fan like me likes them they're bound to be good. It's like a 346 to 261. The 346 has rpms and not so much torque and the 261 just lumbers along and will pull like a big saw. The rpm doesn't matter as if it turns 13.5k out of the wood and 12k in it or 14.5k out of the wood and 11k in it.

I ran a ported 660 and then picked up a ported 461 and IMO if I had to choose one of those two to own it would be the 461 hands down.

I was looking for another 90 cc saw for some big wood but running the 461 talked me out of that.

I was looking for another 90 cc saw for some big wood but running the 461 talked me out of that.
wish I hadn't already ordered a 562 . Its at the shop waiting for me to pay for it. I look at it everyday I work LOL. I also have a 461 there but its regular stock.

This may very well be so. However in the last 9 years on AS, I've seen new saw come out and get hyped up, only to fall flat when people really start using them and comparing them to older/different models. Perception is a powerful thing, add in the excitement of a new toy, and sometimes we get ahead of ourselves and make claims with absolutely no real facts involved. I'm not saying that's happening with the 461, I personally haven't even ran one yet, so I really don't know.

Andre.

Well said....and true.

The 461 is a strong saw.......I've ran several gallons through em.

Remember.......Scott and I both had 8 pin rims on the ported saws. Looking back I wish I had stuck with the 7.

Have you found any configurations that makes more RPMs, making it more like a 460? I emphasize to those reading that many will prefer the nature of the 461 that I've mentioned. It makes it such a forgivable and easy saw to run.

wish I hadn't already ordered a 562 . Its at the shop waiting for me to pay for it. I look at it everyday I work LOL. I also have a 461 there but its regular stock.

The 261 you have and then a 461 would be a great combo. Then the 395 for all the noodling and running a 32" on all the time.:D

Have you found any configurations that makes more RPMs, making it more like a 460? I emphasize to those reading that many will prefer the nature of the 461 that I've mentioned. It makes it such a forgivable and easy saw to run.

I've not noticed any lack of RPM.

I've not noticed any lack of RPM.

wonder if he is referring to chainspeed ,i got to admit my xpw has that over the 461 ,but you cant lean on the xpw in a 30 inch log like the 461 ,my 461 is a LOT louder than my xpw or 460 also ,so its definitly pumping more air

I to would like to see some time numbers but all I have is seat of the pants. Its no secret I'm no Stihl fan boy to boot.

Witness!

9yzu5e2y.jpg

I have about 20 tanks through my 461, and it's definitely the real deal. Copious amounts of torque, which I noticed on the very first tank. And what surprised me the most is the throttle response -- it's surprisingly good for such a big saw.

Latest posts

Back