Chain Grinder preferred rotation CW CCW

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVdog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Would like to get some experienced opinions about the preferred rotation direction on chain grinders. Both of my sharpeners have the ability to spin in both directions. My EFCO has been my go to sharpener for a while. I am going to upgrade with a Borazon wheel soon so I have been asking around about the best way to grind..from the file days I always went from the inside to out..which with a wheel would be LH cutter CCW (inside to out) and RH cutter CW (inside to out)..the shop where I buy a few Stihl parts uses the latest Stihl grinder and it sharpens one side in to out and the other out to in....Since I have the ability with either of my grinders with bi-direction...which is best outside to inside or inside to outside? For my little yellow/black grinder if you setup with the indicated switches..it grinds the LH cutters..CW(out to in) and the RH cutters CCW (out to in) Thanks for all opinions especially with the Borazon wheels...BV

Last edited:
^
/ \
|
|
|
|

Exactly that. You want to push any burrs from grinding to the inside of the cutter. It's kind of hard to do that by hand, because the hard chrome likes to make the file chatter. It's a snap with a good grinder.

EDIT: my ASCII art looks like crap. Oh well.

Most grinders only have one direction, and most folks think that it makes no difference, what do you guys think????

BTW, mine goes both ways and I use the reversible motor!!!!

Mine only goes one direction (Carlton/Oregon 510C), and once you make a cut or 2 with it and then look at the chain the side with the "burrs" looks identical to the side ground outside to inside. So I don't think it makes much of a difference to people who just want good, sharp chains to cut wood. If you are racing, then all things go out the window.

Most grinders only have one direction, and most folks think that it makes no difference, what do you guys think????

BTW, mine goes both ways and I use the reversible motor!!!!

I've been told to always go outside in because going other way flakes off the chrome and chain will dull much faster.

Running the wheel away from your face also cuts down on the dust in your face and what you breathe in so thats the way I've always run my Slivey II grinder.

So you guys are saying go the opposite direction that you would hand file from?

I have cut/direction same as I would if hand filed:msp_confused:

My grinder is bi-directional

My Foley 308 and my GB Maxx books both say grind outside to inside. Oregon 511A only grinds one way so 1 tooth is out/in and 1 in/out. I grind out/in. I agree after a cut or 2 the bur on the in/out tooth is gone.
Shep

mine goes in 1 direction so i don't worry about it,, i don't grind enough off at 1 time to worry about burrs,, when i do grind mine i just barely touch the tooth

It is pretty easy to change rotation, just spin the wheel fast enough in the "opposite" direction then flip the switch on. I think Mweba noted in another thread he uses a drill to spin his then hits the switch. I added a reversing switch to mine and grind the cutters outside-in, seems to leave a nicer edge on the tooth.

If you have a one direction grinder try reversing it to see if you like the results.

Mark

It is pretty easy to change rotation, just spin the wheel fast enough in the "opposite" direction then flip the switch on. I think Mweba noted in another thread he uses a drill to spin his then hits the switch. I added a reversing switch to mine and grind the cutters outside-in, seems to leave a nicer edge on the tooth.

If you have a one direction grinder try reversing it to see if you like the results.

Mark

I tried that technique that mweba showed -- and it did not work on my grinder. I spun it up with my drill CW and flipped the switch and it wouldnt spin CW. Oh well, no biggie

I was concerned when I added the directional switch on mine I would spin the screw loose if I tried to change directions when it was still moving. What I discovered was in fact the unit must coast almost to a complete stop before changing directions, otherwise it just keeps going the same way regardless of the position of the directional switch.

Does yours happen to have a brush type motor? If so, the only way to change directions will be to swap the motor leads around.

Mark

Latest posts

Back