Which 50cc saw to own

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out which 50cc saw to have.It would run a 16" bar with .325 full chisel chain and cut up to 10" oak.I have a very nice ported 026PRO set up this way now.Would it be stupid to sell my 026PRO and get a stock 550xp which the dealer has sitting in his back room or a stock 346xp non CAT which he has on the show room floor or keep my026PRO which eats wood very good?At this point I don't know if I would ever get the 2 Huskys ported.I hate making these decisions and I like the Stihl a lot.And if I could I would have all three.This is what happens when you stop at the dealer for a screw and end up holding and fondling new saws:bang::bang:

$480.00 for the non Cat 346xp with free storeage box
$550.00 for the 550xp and no free box

Salesmen tried to tell me the 346xp was a Cat model till I showed him the muffler and the gray gas cap.

What are you doing with your 50cc saw? Using it every day, a few times a week, a few times a year?

I wouldn't mind having a 550xp but my 026 serves me well and it ain't going anywhere. Well maybe it would at those prices, a 550xp costs about twice as much here. :bang:

I am trying to figure out which 50cc saw to have.It would run a 16" bar with .325 full chisel chain and cut up to 10" oak.I have a very nice ported 026PRO set up this way now.Would it be stupid to sell my 026PRO and get a stock 550xp which the dealer has sitting in his back room or a stock 346xp non CAT which he has on the show room floor or keep my026PRO which eats wood very good?At this point I don't know if I would ever get the 2 Huskys ported.I hate making these decisions and I like the Stihl a lot.And if I could I would have all three.This is what happens when you stop at the dealer for a screw and end up holding and fondling new saws:bang::bang:

$480.00 for the non Cat 346xp with free storeage box
$550.00 for the 550xp and no free box

Salesmen tried to tell me the 346xp was a Cat model till I showed him the muffler and the gray gas cap.

For the money, I'd vote against doing anything. If you make a move, you will spend the difference between what you get for your 026 and and the cost of the new ones. None of your stash of chain, bars and whatnot will fit, and you will wind up with a basically equivalent saw at the end of the process. Of course, if you've got the cash on hand and want to get yourself a late Christmas present, I'll say go for the 550.

The 346xp and 550xp is the best 50cc saws out there - but I guess you already know that. :D

I would say this decision is totally up to you and your feelings, nobody really can help you. Nothing wrong with having more than one 50cc saw though! :msp_sneaky:

What are you doing with your 50cc saw? Using it every day, a few times a week, a few times a year?

I wouldn't mind having a 550xp but my 026 serves me well and it ain't going anywhere. Well maybe it would at those prices, a 550xp costs about twice as much here. :bang:

I only cut about 5 cords of hard wood a year now for my stove.I have a ported 44,ported 359(not the Snellerized one) and a ported 371xpw Husky so maybe I would cut a couple cord a year with a 50cc saw.And my 026 is no slouch,it used to be tree monkeys personal saw.

I recently traded in a perfect 346xp for a 550xp that has had some teething problems. I still prefer the 550 even though I've had very little time with it. It sounds like your 026 is doing just fine though.

Last edited:
I am not a Sthil head but would stick to the older saw's like your 026/260 I love my 2152 Jred just a plain old good 50 cc saw is really all I need for my firewood needs. Now you can mod them older saw's with less fuss than anything being made today, Now I sound like a grumpy old man!
Lets put it another way a old Springfield in30 06 will kill elk just as well as a new fancy something bolt gun will in30 06.

Get a 2153....they look nicer and keep there colors better...:D

But do they fly as far??

epa2ynuq.jpg

For the few cords a year just keep it. If you don't plan on porting the new saw it won't be any faster. And for the few hrs of use the smoothness isn't worth the money imo.

I only cut about 5 cords of hard wood a year now for my stove.I have a ported 44,ported 359(not the Snellerized one) and a ported 371xpw Husky so maybe I would cut a couple cord a year with a 50cc saw.And my 026 is no slouch,it used to be tree monkeys personal saw.

So what yer sayin'....
Is you don't have an autotune saw...
And stuff....

And maybe you should be thinkin' about getting one...
And stuff...
Scott has a way with those 026's, but it's not an autotune...

Just sayin'...
:monkey:

So what yer sayin'....
Is you don't have an autotune saw...
And stuff....

And maybe you should be thinkin' about getting one...
And stuff...
Scott has a way with those 026's, but it's not an autotune...

Just sayin'...
:monkey:

Scott does very good work.I don't care one way or another about autotunes but I do have the work tunes I like a lot:laugh::laugh: I think maybe I just want all Husky saws deep down inside.

Latest posts

Back