Thinking about installing a wood stove fan? Go for it there awsome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadihman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Finally we got some cold weather. I didn't run my fan much last winter because of the warm weather. We had a couple cold days now and I found out that my quad 5700 wont heat my house without the fan on when it's cold and blowing. Wow it easily heats my house with the blower fan on. I burn less wood when I have the fan on. It cools the stove down a little too just make sure it's hot enough for a clean burn.
My opinion is anybody that adds a fan will be happy with the results. It really gets the heat off the stove and easily heats my 2700 sq/ft

what kind of fan?

I bought it of ebay for direct bolt on for quadra fire stoves. It's just like the optional quad fan. It has one motor and two squirel cage fans one on each side of motor. It bolts to the back bottom of the stove. It blows air up through the sheet metal on the back then into the step on the 5700 and across the top of the stove. Really hot air comes out. The fan is quiet and has variable speed. Many new stoves have them as an option.

taking the fancy dancy surround plate (to "hide" the fireplace) off of an insert will help as well. I did this and rarely use the fan on my Quad4100i.

Hello,
I'm a firm believer of using your fan on the woodstove !!!!! It really does get the heat off the stove and pushed farther out into the room or house !!! I run mine on low setting almost 24/7 !!!!!
I have it hooked to a remote control that I keep hanging on the fireplace tools set, that way when I want to put more wood in and turn off the fan, I don't have to reach around to the back of the stove to turn it off !!!!!

Henry and Wanda

Hello,
I'm a firm believer of using your fan on the woodstove !!!!! It really does get the heat off the stove and pushed farther out into the room or house !!! I run mine on low setting almost 24/7 !!!!!
I have it hooked to a remote control that I keep hanging on the fireplace tools set, that way when I want to put more wood in and turn off the fan, I don't have to reach around to the back of the stove to turn it off !!!!!

Henry and Wanda

The remote sounds cool! How does it work and where did you get it?

I have one on mine, pacific energy, too noisy, only used it for the first week and now it sits idle, glad it was a free option as I would be choked to pay for it...
Buddy just gave me a new eco fan a few weeks (it wouldn't work on his pellet stove lol) and I think the house is warmer with it on, not sure if that is actually true though...

I use a fan it's about 6' away from my stove but boy does it push the hot air through the house. Small house 1200 sq ft upstairs bungalo I also have a 1980s heatalator wood fire place only used when the temps drop below -20 it has the built in fan dam they work very well.
Yep get that hot air moving and the home is warm very warm it was -25°c here for xmas but the house was so warm we had too open a few windows.:hmm3grin2orange:
and thats heating with Lodgepole Pine too.

Hello,
I'm not sure where I bought the remote that I am using ,but you can buy those at Lowe's. It's just a little unit that plugs into your wall outlet and then you plug your fan cord into the unit. The remote unit is very small, about 1/3 as big as a pack of smokes and then this just is kept in a convenient spot so you can turn the fan off and on easily without leaning around to the back of the stove !!!! Good Luck !!!

Henry and Wanda

I've got to go go with Austin1 on this. I hve found that a fan place a few feet from the stove and angled toward the ceiling above the stove makes the house much more comfortable the use of the stove fans themself. On my endeavor the stove fan creates a very noticable cold draft across the floor that is not present with the box fan...also I can maintain a higher stove top temp and extended, active secondary burn without the stove fans running....ymmv

I have one on mine, pacific energy, too noisy, only used it for the first week and now it sits idle, glad it was a free option as I would be choked to pay for it...
Buddy just gave me a new eco fan a few weeks (it wouldn't work on his pellet stove lol) and I think the house is warmer with it on, not sure if that is actually true though...

true that , the only thing i dont like about my PE is the fan noise , other than that , its an awesome stove !!

Back