my first stihl 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the saw!
Wish I could run one. Been debating on selling some old saws and getting a new one.
The weight seems pretty good. I'd like to run one through a 18" maple or oak and see how it does.
My 029 with a wicked sharp chain will still bog if I put just a bit of pressure on it. Kinda seems annoying after running my 044. I usually cut with both saws but I confess I get tired and the vibe on the 044 can get to ya after awhile. getting old sucks!
Keep us posted!

Just received a message from Stihl:

xxxxxx,

We are in receipt of and thank you for your e-mail. The single hump drive link is the reduced kickback feature.

Thank you again for your e-mail.

Best regards,

xxxxxxxx

Technical Advisor

STIHL Inc.

There you have it, the single humped drive link is the extent of the reduced kickback features.

OP, thank you for allowing a brief hijack of your thread. Nice saw you have there, congrats. I am a bit jealous as I would really like to own a 261 myself.

xxxxxx,

We are in receipt of and thank you for your e-mail. The single hump drive link is the reduced kickback feature.

Best regards,

xxxxxxxx

Technical Advisor

STIHL Inc.

There you have it, the single humped drive link is the extent of the reduced kickback features.

OP, thank you for allowing a brief hijack of your thread. Nice saw you have there, congrats. I am a bit jealous as I would really like to own a 261 myself.

thanks. i'm liking it a little more today.

i fired it up and cut some snow in the yard.haha. i'll have to find some wood to cut now.

xxxxxx,

Best regards,

xxxxxxxx

Technical Advisor

STIHL Inc.

so what about the double humps on the semi chisel 3/8" chain?

the single hump is for the green chisel chains.

thanks. i'm liking it a little more today.

i fired it up and cut some snow in the yard.haha. i'll have to find some wood to cut now.

Yeah, don't do like that other guy and just keep firing it up, or attempting to as was his case. You need something to cut to get her broke in proper. Have fun, stay safe.

Yeah, don't do like that other guy and just keep firing it up, or attempting to as was his case. You need something to cut to get her broke in proper. Have fun, stay safe.

good advice. i need to get it under load.

i like to progressivly heat and cool the unit.
i run it under moderate load fot a min 1 day. the next i'll run it for 3 min...cool down.

on the 3rd day...wfo. (well not exactly)

xxxxxx,

Best regards,

xxxxxxxx

Technical Advisor

STIHL Inc.

Thx

That also answer another question about someone giving advice :jester:

There's always a lot of confusion between green/yellow and cutter shape, but as noted they are independent things. I am also a bit amused when people talk about how much better the yellow cuts, yet the only time you'd really notice the difference is when making plunge or bore cuts. I think there is a bit of "macho" associated with yellow, mainly because people don't understand the real differences.

Me, I have green and yellow chains but use green about 90% of the time, since I see no reason not to add a bit of extra kickback resistance (and a green chain will still kick back like a SOB in plenty of situations anyhow). I keep a yellow chain on my little 40cc saw which gets used for plunge cuts quite a bit, and have one new in the box for my 461/28" in case I ever really need it for a deep plunge or bore. Ain't happened yet….

There's always a lot of confusion between green/yellow and cutter shape, but as noted they are independent things. I am also a bit amused when people talk about how much better the yellow cuts, yet the only time you'd really notice the difference is when making plunge or bore cuts. I think there is a bit of "macho" associated with yellow, mainly because people don't understand the real differences.

Me, I have green and yellow chains but use green about 90% of the time, since I see no reason not to add a bit of extra kickback resistance (and a green chain will still kick back like a SOB in plenty of situations anyhow). I keep a yellow chain on my little 40cc saw which gets used for plunge cuts quite a bit, and have one new in the box for my 461/28" in case I ever really need it for a deep plunge or bore. Ain't happened yet….

It would stand to reason that the depth gauges contact the wood just prior to the cutters, meaning that with the addition of the humped drive links on the green chains there would be some loss of efficiency. Just my thoughts though. My issue with green labeled chains is the difficulty in adjusting the depth gauges as the chain is sharpened.

Latest posts

Back