I said sorry, do I owe more?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is mine and yours is yours and if you take mine i might shoot you.

Uh, not in Ontario you wouldn't. That'd be a quick way to go straight to jail. Actually, one would be hard pressed to getting away with shooting an intruder inside one's own home. Such is the many wonderful benefits of living in Canakistan.:laugh:

I have been helping a guy cut wood off side of the road. Tried to find whos it was but could not find out. Around here every one knows every one, kinda creepy sometimes, and is related to everybody so he will probably not care. Actually it might be elctric company land but who knows.

Uh, not in Ontario you wouldn't. That'd be a quick way to go straight to jail. Actually, one would be hard pressed to getting away with shooting an intruder inside one's own home. Such is the many wonderful benefits of living in Canakistan.:laugh:

Its a pretty quick way to go to jail pretty much anywhere. I agree the OP was wrong and the owner was right to be mad but its not a legit reason to shoot someone.

Sorry Bud! There is no difference between theft and removing a "neglected mess" that doesn't belong to you.
That's a big part of the problems we have in this world today. People think; Oh, they haven't been attentave to it, they must not want it.
If it's not yours, don't take it without permission. Period. To do so is theft, nothing less. You can't sugar coat it or justify it. And if you're too afraid to protect your property from vandal's, well, that's your problem, and another subject all together.

Andy

Big, big, big difference between trespass and vandalism. The former is of little concern around here and the latter is not tolerated at all. If I lived in your neck of the woods (near Juarez) I would have an entirely different opinion on trespass, truly a scary part of the country right now. Here I don't recall ever hearing of a charge or prosecution for trespass but it's early, I've only lived here 58 years. Now on the other hand if someone comes to me looking for trouble they are sure to find it.

colin.p,

Yeppers in Ontario we would proably become the criminal somehow.
Now accidentially backing over someone with your truck is a different story. LOL

I've removed fallen trees that fell from someones property and landed on the road without asking permission.
But only to the road line, the rest on the persons property stays that way.
Always seem to find them about 1hr before dark and i nearly run over it myself.
Always have the equiptment in the truck so i figure why not do a quick cleanup before someone hits it that night.

Totally different though since if the police drove up behind me I'm sure they wouldn't call me a thief, and if the homeowner came down from the property i bet he wouldn't tell me to leave it.
I get a bit of wood for cleaning it up and a feeling that i might just have saved someones life that night.

Last edited:
From the Original poster:

Thank you to many of the posters for the honest and tough advice. Needless to say, I learned a lesson the hard way not to take what I know is not mine. I will not assume that a empty piece of land next to the road is not someones property.

To all those China bashers out there - thanks for making all those assumptions based on my current location.

In case anyone is interested I am actually on a 2-3 year assignment working for a US company in China. I do go back to the USA a few times a year, so this situation happened while I was visiting my parents in the states.

I expected and to some extent deserved the forum tongue lashing for making an assumption. I did not expect the racism.

Needless to say, I learned a lesson the hard way not to take what I know is not mine.

Funny... I learned that lesson (also the hard way) decades before I was old enough to be "on a 2-3 year assignment working for a US company in China."
Thinking about it, I believe I learned that lesson before I learned to pee in the potty... I know all three of my children did.

From the Original poster:

Thank you to many of the posters for the honest and tough advice. Needless to say, I learned a lesson the hard way not to take what I know is not mine. I will not assume that a empty piece of land next to the road is not someones property.

To all those China bashers out there - thanks for making all those assumptions based on my current location.

In case anyone is interested I am actually on a 2-3 year assignment working for a US company in China. I do go back to the USA a few times a year, so this situation happened while I was visiting my parents in the states.

I expected and to some extent deserved the forum tongue lashing for making an assumption. I did not expect the racism.

Racism? I just went back a re-read this entire thread, I didn't see anything I'd call racism. A couple comments about the "quality" of goods exported, 1 about the price of land there, and something about dragons. Where's the racism?
Must be a little sensitive from the butt chewing...

The land i hunt and cut wood on is owned by a man that also hunts and burns wood. It's not uncommon for me to drop, buck up, load and deliver rounds to his wood shed for splitting or drop a truckload of splits into his shed. I also help him out with whatever he needs that i am able to help him with...he was having problems getting a water pump put on an old chevy c-60 medium duty that he uses for hauling shingles and scrap when he and his boys are working on houses, so i climbed in and took care of it for him. Trigger broke on his muzzleloader, alot of small parts and he's missing a digit on one hand, assembled it for him so we could hunt together. Spent last weekend splitting up an old elm at his place to fill his wood shed. He also gets a bottle of his favorite kentucky's finest a couple times of year. Because of all that, I have no questions asked access to his acreage, his cabin in the woods, hunting and wood. Pay it forward. He is nice and generous to me, it is gratefully returned. With all of this, he digs out an old 028 WB AV and says, would you like to have this saw? I'm like wow, i have one, but how 'bout i go thru it, clean it up for you and you keep it. We playfully argue back and forth and insists i keep it. B.S., he will be getting it back once i get it all cleaned and tuned. Can't beat having good guys around and taking care of them ensures you always have places to go.

I stayed out of this thread because I figured nothing good was coming from it, but I'll step in to offer a bit of advice for anyone scrounging for wood. Buy a county plat book that shows all the landowners in your county, and keep it in the truck with you. Many municipalities have them online for free as well.

Since I was a kid, it's been ingrained into me to know who's property I'm on and to make sure I have permission. Come cutting on my land without permission, and I'd be asking the DA for not only trespassing charges, but also timber theft, which is a felony in WI. Ask me and there's a good chance I'll help ya fill your rig.

One time I was picking up wood on my property that the power line choppers had left for me and along came a pickup, they stopped to inform me I was taking their wood. Asked if they owned the rights to the land and their reply was they saw it first and any wood on the side of the road was there for the taken. My reply was it was also a good way to meet a very angry landowner who was known to be a bit crazy and the law even leaves this guy alone, so they should come back with the law to inform him. I waited all afternoon and no one came back. Good friend is a cop in my town and I hoped they would go see him because he would played right along.

It's a shame you didn't do the right thing and track the landowner down first and ask permission. If he is an older gentleman and does not burn wood, you might have been pleasantly suprised to have him say "sure, take it. By the way, there's more if you want it." Over the years, I've turned small prospects into really nice scores on more than one occasion.

Ditto :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back